Full Sail University - Opinions?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2011
I would recommend the Los Angeles Film School (Computer Animation), sister school to Fullsail over fullsail instead. Owned by the same guy as well but run completely different.

Anyways, the LA Film School's Computer Animation (just the naming convention, they cover and focus on all cg art) has a much better program. If you are serious about cg and are willing to do fullsail (ignoring location atm), I would recommend making the move to Los Angeles and going to school there (just being in LA in general is the smart thing to do).

For example, the Zbrush class is taught by one of Pixologic's own developers (as they are just down the street from the school). Nevil Page, and other professionals have been to the school to impart knowledge/advice at seminar's and meetups. The school brings in professionals to teach the subject matter, not just instructors. Gnomon which is also down the street, is from which some of the instructors previously taught. The entire computer lab(s) are filled with Cintiqs. It's just insane and surprisingly very few schools can do the same, even full sail. When you think about what you pay and what you get its mind boggling.

This is just my opinion anyway.

Honestly I have met quite a few great artist who just spent money on a digital tutors subscription and some tutorial dvds from places like Gnomon and Eat3D. School isnt necessary thankfully. I would only go to fullsail if you are severely limited by choice, and only then after considering teaching yourself through digital tutors and other online resources. At the end of the day the school cant get you a job, but your own work will regardless of schooling.

07 July 2011
Originally Posted by Zmann89: Hey Fernalism,
Also the career development department told us that 90% of students have careers in the industry within a year after graduating.
I hope this was helpful!

Sorry, but you have to be careful with this one. That 90% statement has been debated like crazy. I went to Full Sail, and I was contacted ONCE about an opportunity. It was for film editing, when I went for the animation program. And no, I didn't know how to edit, because the month I was supposed to learn something happened (honestly forget what), and they just showed us what the buttons were for iMovie..awesome.

I work with some recent Full Sail grads now, and it seems the program has gotten better. I graduated 2003, and only about 4..maybe 5 of us are in the industry out of 50ish students.

07 July 2011
PLEASE research your questions before you ask

There are a number of threads about full Fail. Please research your question before you post.
However, here is my take on them.

Alll artistic fields including design and animation take TIME to develop. There really isn't a short cut. Full Sail tries to short cut a degree and skills with 21 months of intensive training. This time frame is MUCH too short to develop sufficient skills. Moreover, even if you put in the work required to possibly get these skills, due to its very short time gun, you will probably make yourself sick.

NOte: I am not commenting on either the quality of their facilities or faculty,which I know little about. My main concerin is the overly tight duration of their program as compared to other top notch programs.

PLEASE forget about Full Sail. Consider other alternatives such as another degree from Ringling,which will waive gen eds for those with Bachelors. Gnomon would be a very good choice IF you have the drawing skills already. Other choices would be to get a masters degree from schools such as USC, Pratt, and SVA and SCAD. Finally, you can go for certificate programs from schools such as Sheridan, Seneca etc. All of these choices presented would be better than that of Full Sail.

IN fact, if you have a decent amount of self motivation, you can achieve the skills that you need without going to school. Gnomon has a wide variety of Videos as does Digital Tutors that are fabulous and cost MUCH< MUCH less than attending any school. PLEASE forget about Full Sail. Enough said.

Last edited by taxguy : 07 July 2011 at 01:35 PM.

07 July 2011
I'm not going to argue with any of the above statements other than Full Sail has greatly improved their program in the last few years and I would be careful to take an older alumni comments without considering that the program has definitively improved.

I will also agree that 21 months is a short amount of time to develop an aesthetic eye. But not too short to learn the skills you need to make great art with 3D tools. Once you understand the tools you can take your time to develop your artistic abilities. Full sail is not the place to go for a typical college experience but if your determined your can come out with I really great demo.

When I first posted in this thread I was finishing up a internship under a full sail teacher and unemployed. After 4 months of job searching I now work Nickelodeon animation as a character modeler partially in thanks to Full Sail's Career development department. They recommended my resume and got me on the list of potentials. My demo reel and art test took me the rest of the way.

I've been working with nickelodeon for about a month now and I can say Full Sail is the #1 represented school among new hires. So I feel confident in telling you that if your determined Full Sail can get you where you want to go. Is it the only option? no. Is the most affordable option? definitely not. Do hiring industry professionals care where you went to school? hell no. Its your quality of work that will get you a job. But I absolutely do not regret my time there. In fact It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Last edited by Zmann89 : 07 July 2011 at 10:04 PM.

01 January 2012
Delete.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Last edited by rhinton : 01 January 2012 at 03:20 PM.

01 January 2012
M29MATT,
I thouht your post was interesting and wanted to make a general statement to those thinking about doing this:

"...Each and every one of them owes Sally Mae at LEAST $100k (some as high as $150k), with monthly loan payments around $1000+. Also, with Sally Mae's interest rates (variable, ranging from 4-10%) you'll end up paying them about $115,000 in interest after the estimated 20 years it would take to pay the loans in full. Grand total paid for school ~$200,000. You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth being in debt for a couple decades."

I must say this blows my mind everytime I see stuff like this. $1,000 for twenty years. That means if someone goes right out of highschool they would be paying $1,000 /month until they are 40.

I fail to see the rush in getting out in 2 years so you can spend 20 years paying it back. Not to mention there is no garantee that you will even get work, outside of flipping burgers. How do you even come up with $1,000 each month flipping burgers? And Bankruptcy is no option- since student loan debt can't be removed.

I just don't get why so many take this chance, without even knowing if they like this kind of work. Why not take a few weeks, pick a 3D product and get some on-line training like Digital Tutors or similar and see what happens. If you can't get results, get bored or frustrated, then realize jumping into an accelerated 24/7 program with no garanteed of success might not be the best choice for you, no matter what school you choose.

Respectfully,
Ohmanoggin

01 January 2012
Crazy, like four months ago I sold my last Ferrari a F430 that I bought brand new in '06. I was making payments of $1,056 and my balance was roughly $20,000, with this economy I didn't feel it wise and easy to keep paying for almost two more years. That was for a very special car, I can't see myself going to an university just out of high school to put such $$$ pressure over my head for two decades or longer. If I was your age I would find another option to get my goals done.

By the way I went to Full Sail for their recording engineer degree and dropped out since the schedule was too fast and intensive for my liking. You better be devoted to go there or else...

If you're going take a tour at Full Sail then also try DAVE school and see what you think. One gives you a degree the other doesn't.

Last edited by Oroborus : 01 January 2012 at 10:37 PM.

01 January 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread