Junior in High School, what can I do?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2010
Junior in High School, what can I do?

Hi everyone, I just joined CGSociety after a week of lurking and looking at all the amazing artwork.

I'm a junior (11th grader) in high school, and I want to pursue 3D graphics (modeling, specifically) in some way. I don't really know what to do though. I've taken an intro to 3D course which taught Maya, and I'm taking the Advanced 3d course (also Maya) next semester. Apart from that, I really don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

12 December 2010
Draw all the damn time. It will help you later on.

Get a subscription here: https://www.digitaltutors.com
They are the best place for new artists to learn cg online. The more you know going into a school the better you will be coming out. Also this will give you a good feel for what the major specializations do.

Start looking at schools. It's never too early. Read everything you can about the schools, their teachers, their graduates.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

12 December 2010
Its a very good thing that you are already learning maya, now, if you wanna model characters, study anatomy, and practice it a lot, and if you can, get your hands on Zbrush, a excellent sculpting software thats is becoming industry standard for modeling, and learn to use it. and well.. yeah, look for some good school, aim for one that asks for portfolio, since you are already learning maya, and if you get a good traditional portfolio, it will be apiece of cake to get into the best schools out there.. look at Gnomon, Vancouver Film School, if you manage to get a good portoflio with CG and traditional pieces youll get in. So yeah, study anatomy, draw from life, and start working on CG pieces for your portfolio.

Good Luck.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

12 December 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread