Animschool.com

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2010
Animschool.com

Anyone going to or heard of the new school called Animschool.com?

It is sarted by the former Character development supervisor at Bluesky studios, the people that made Iceage and Robots. Looks like they have a preety good list of teachers there, from pixar animators to bluesky animators. Looks very afordable as well. Was just woundering if anyone is going to be going?

Looks very interesting in the terms of teaching a wider scope of education. Like in terms of animation they teach u rigging along with Animation. I see this as a real Positive. Like if you go to an interview and there are 100 other animators there with exactly the same skillls as you, and thats just animation, now what would set you apart, I guess some professionally taught rigging to go with your animation. To me this sounds much more interesting, and gives you much more employable.

Anyway what do you guys think?

https://www.animschool.com/Default.aspx

Here is abit about the school.

AnimSchool is a group of over 30 teachers and instructors currently working at top studios like Blue Sky Studios and Pixar. They teach after their regular production jobs, at night or on Saturdays.

AnimSchool was founded in 2010 by David Gallagher, animator, rigger, and former Character Development Supervisor at Blue Sky Studios.

Last edited by mitcoz : 12 December 2010 at 03:52 PM.

12 December 2010
Some thing I have noticed is every new school, well pretty much sucks. This is mostly because they have yet to iron out the problems with the courses. It's always a really big risk going to a brand new school, or going into a brand new course.

Other than that I don't see any red flags. Teachers look good, curriculum sounds good.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

12 December 2010
Hey yeah I know what you mean, but they have been having beta classes for the past 2 or so months with students, testing their platform etc, so i think it should be fine.

12 December 2010
Originally Posted by MrConterno: Some thing I have noticed is every new school, well pretty much sucks. This is mostly because they have yet to iron out the problems with the courses. It's always a really big risk going to a brand new school, or going into a brand new course.

Other than that I don't see any red flags. Teachers look good, curriculum sounds good.

From the position of attending a school with a three year old program, I'd say that while new programs have very significant downsides, you can also get opportunities you don't find elsewhere. Next semester, for example, I'm going to be in an eight person class taught be Mark Andrews. That would never happen in a larger, more established school.

Edit: Two months is nowhere near long enough to iron out the kinks of a new school. They'll likely be able to solve any technical issues, but things like teachers with impressive resumes but little teaching ability, or figuring out how much can and should be taught in x amount of time, takes far longer.

12 December 2010
I'd never heard of AnimSchool before, but checking out their website, I think it's a great idea! One could easily go through it twice to learn how to model, rig, and animate their own Blue Sky/Dreamworks style characters. Rigging is something I think is really important and probably overlooked a bit. But that's a great looking online school! Thanks for making me aware, though I won't be going through it. At least not for 2 years. Good luck to anyone who goes through it and I'd love to know how it works as well. Keep us posted!

12 December 2010
Hadn't heard anything about the program till reading this, looks interesting though. Where'd you hear about it?

12 December 2010
Looks fairly decent for starters. One thing that springs out is that almost all of the teachers are from Blue Sky. Is this in any way related to the studio in a sense of an unofficial training course or something similar ? Would be interesting to see the first batch of student reels come out, being an animation mentor student myself ( starting in January ).

12 December 2010
I heard of it from theri blog site, its http://www.3dappealblog.com/

Reargding beta testing, I think it started well 5 months ago or so, but beta testing, I think the ebts test of the site is still hapeneing until novmber 18th or so. They have been having beta classes with actual students for like 3-4 months i think. Regarding teaching, a few of the teachers have taught at Animation mentor in the past, so thats not a problem.

Last edited by mitcoz : 12 December 2010 at 09:08 AM.

12 December 2010
I'm one of the students in the beta animation class. Other than some technical hiccups that have been promptly worked out (that's part of what the beta class is for though, right?), it's been a nice experience. Obviously experience is going to change a bit depending on your instructor, but our instructor has been enthusiastic and very helpful. Very cool guy. The skeleton rig is a lot of fun to play with too.

01 January 2011
Hi Guys.

I took the course Animschool beta and I really enjoyed it.

Teachers are among the best professionals in the industry.
I think it really makes much difference to receive criticism about your work from someone who is extremely skilled in their area, while you're animating.
Much better than animate yourself or ask a friend what he thinks.

Dave Gallagher and Nathan Engelheart teachers were running the current beta.
Both work at Blue Sky and has years of experience in animation, having worked in big movies with Ice Age, Horton, River ..

As Adam said they were always available and enthusiastic about all students' work, always giving great reviews and helping to develop the work of each one.

After finishing the course beta made me want to continue studying with them in animschool.

The experience was very constructive.

01 January 2011
To those of you who did the AnimSchool beta,

Did anyone do the Character Program? (Modeling, Rigging, etc.)

I'm curious as to feedback on that one...

And for those who did the Animation program, what was it like? Is it ideal for a beginner? Was there any 2D/Drawing involved or was it all CG-Based?

Thanks for your input in advance.

01 January 2011
Hey, good to see you around Ed!

Phantom, the animation beta class was mostly designed for an intermediate level, so it presupposed some knowledge of character animation and animation principles. Maybe something between the 4 and 5 level courses described on this page: http://www.animschool.com/Catalog/P...ption.aspx?ID=2

But as you can see, if you start with the first class, you are going get introduced and acquainted with the basics. It's designed so that you can start at what ever level you are ready for. As far as drawing goes, the only drawing we did was quick sketches of our key poses. Kind of a rough outline or storyboard for the animation we wanted to create. At some point in the near future, Dave should be uploading some examples of the animations we did and some more testimonials.

If everyone involved with AnimSchool is as knowledgeable, fun, and helpful as Nathan and Dave, it'll be a great school.

04 April 2011
Follow-up...

Anyone in the 3D Character Program? Feedback?

Thanks!

J

05 May 2011
Hi..

I'm doing the course, first few weeks changed my mind going from express class to wanting to take the full 21 month program. It's really solid learning, I'm apart of the admin team as well if u want any information in regards to the teaching program.

05 May 2011
Considering the huge fees and the kind profit happening in education specially in animation ,I would say it's a good business. thing Initially all school show various promises but later every one becomes the same ,even you see the latest students of much prestigious Animation mentor ,I would say they are not average,sometimes their showreel seems very good but actually they wouldn't qualify animation test.I think it's all glamour but no reality mentor/teachers make good money b'coz of their experience and the studio for which they are working but poor student suffers.I would also like to say there are not many jobs in the industry too considering the various existing and upcoming animation institutes.
And yes at the end they will easily dump all the blame on your shoulders saying you should have done more hard work .

Thread Closed share thread