Online schools?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2010   #1
Online schools?

I'm not looking to move from where I live but I would love to get an education in 3d modeling and would love to look into some good online schools. Any suggestions?

Old 10 October 2010   #2
Look in the Online Courses sub forum. From my understanding the best online school is for animation only, not modeling - www.animationmentor.com. It's not a school, but www.digitaltutors.com has tutorial videos and some of the videos are arranged into courses. I'm in the middle of the Introduction to Maya 2011 course that is made up of 86 videos that range in length from 5 to 10 minutes each, and I feel like it is worth the money. See the sub forum for more discussion of the different options.

Old 10 October 2010   #3
As far as modeling goes, your S.O.L. The best thing you can do is get a subscription to digital tutors and then Gnomon workshop. Digital Tutors is definitely worth the money, I had a 1 month for a few months then I chose to do the year thing. That into to Maya video is 11 hours long and is really good. I have yet to find a better place for new artists. Lots of people who are more in the intermediate/advanced level like Gnomon workshop.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #4
For Blender there is plenty of certified trainers at blender.org offering different kind of courses, lessons or tutorials.

Check it out at: http://www.blender.org/education-he...certifications/

--Mich

Old 10 October 2010   #5
Well, he is asking about online school/class/workshop i guess. DT and Gnomon, 3d Total, Eat 3d, 3Dm3 and so on DVD tutorials and thats it no live guidence, just watch and learn.

I also would like to know ANYONE who has experience with ANY interactive type of 3d schooling online?

So far i have taken 3dTi based in NY online school (the fundamentals class) and I was pretty satisfied. It has REAL time - specific time for entering the class, so its a LIVE online class (not forum based).
Also i am taking right now a workshop at CGS.

So. ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE? ))

-"Who are you?" -"I am the Good Fairy" -"Then why are you walking around with this bloody axe?" -"I'm just not feeling good today!" :)

Old 10 October 2010   #6
that's what i mean -not forum classes-. For some courses -i am offering for example- I use online tools to real time class. Using audio/video such as ekiga -open source- and desktop sharing. Making so, relation between student-mentor and student learning curve is better than actually offline courses.

Tutorials are always welcome to start with but I always liked the real time learning because several reasons -mainly because mentor dedicates the whole class to a single student needs in my case-

Try also Mavenseed.

Old 10 October 2010   #7
There's a massive thread about Animation Mentor and a newer one about ianimate.net in the Online Courses forum.

Old 10 October 2010   #8
Originally Posted by fig: There's a massive thread about Animation Mentor and a newer one about ianimate.net in the Online Courses forum.

He's not looking for animation - but modeling.
Animation Mentor is a wonderful program, but they supply you with their models and all you have to do is ANIMATE ANIMATE AND ANIMATE )) only that for a year and a half - great school if you are looking to become only an animator.

-"Who are you?" -"I am the Good Fairy" -"Then why are you walking around with this bloody axe?" -"I'm just not feeling good today!" :)

Old 10 October 2010   #9
Originally Posted by lillababe: He's not looking for animation - but modeling.
Animation Mentor is a wonderful program, but they supply you with their models and all you have to do is ANIMATE ANIMATE AND ANIMATE )) only that for a year and a half - great school if you are looking to become only an animator.

As an Animation Mentor student I'm quite familiar with the program, thanks

I was actually responding to your post:

Originally Posted by lillababe: I also would like to know ANYONE who has experience with ANY interactive type of 3d schooling online?

Old 10 October 2010   #10
EDIT: double post

Old 11 November 2010   #11
Gnomon Online

Guys,

Don't forget about Gnomon Online. They have a prerequisite building block approach, so you'll have to take Intro to Maya first, but once you've taken that, you can go right into Polygon Modeling 1 (http://www.gnomonschool.com/courses...modeling-01.php) and then Polygon Modeling 2. Each class is 10 weeks long and costs $1680 which is the same price as taking classes at the facilities, but it's an excellent option for a lot of people.

I took Intro to Maya via Gnomon Online so I can talk from experience.

Pros: Excellent quality audio/video. Very nicely structured, from Maya's layout to polygons to nurbs to texturing, lighting, animating, and rendering. Also, each lesson was roughly 3 hours long and you can watch them as many times as you want while you're an active online student. Also, if you plan to go for the 2-year certificate program and you take an online course within 12 months of starting school, you get credit for it.

Cons: The instructor's homework feedback video was very brief. The idea is great, but I expected a much more thorough critique. Instead, I got stuff like "the room looks nice. good job". Feedback in general was very poor, unfortunately.

I would give Gnomon Online another chance, especially since it would be a different instructor for different classes. There are approximately 10 classes you can take online, so there is a ceiling, and it's expensive. But the instruction itself is really good and it's worth looking into, for sure.

Last edited by gmsalpha : 11 November 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11 November 2010   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread