Your opinion on M.S.Digital media program at East Tennessee University

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2010   #1
Exclamation Your opinion on M.S.Digital media program at East Tennessee University

Hi,

Please give me your opinion about the graduate program in (MS)Digital Media at ETU. I couldn't find able to find the topics and description of the curriculum. I just emailed them about it.

At the costs section.It's mentioned "It takes 15 hours per semester to graduate in 4 years." here's the link - http://etsudigitalmedia.com/blue/20...t-does-it-cost/ . I don't understand this part. Does it mean the average time to complete the graduate program in Digital Media is 4 years? or is that for under graduation?

Old 10 October 2010   #2
The school looks decent enough.

Website needs a lot of help, it's kinda all over the place. Personally I find that to be something to look at. If you can't design a good website, how can you design a scene, or a painting, or any piece of art.

Due to their website I didn't gather too much info. But from what I did see, you could do better, but you could do a lot worse too.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #3
Thanks for replying. Yes! you're absolutely right. I still didn't figure out what exactly the program involves but I get a mild idea when I look at admission requirements for M.S Digital Media. I assume it's what I wanted but got to do more research about the college. Reason why I checked this college is because it is listed here .

Old 10 October 2010   #4
Gotta give you props, I can see you are being responsible about this and looking into all of your options. Keep it up, this is the kind of things that will make you successful. You'd be surprised on how little research some people do.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #5
Talking Thanks!

haha..yeah!
Thanks a lot for saying that. Made a lot of huge mistakes in the past and now I'm trying not to blunder up again. Since I planning to go to another country for studies and my future rides on this. I feel like it's going to be the most important decision that I'll ever make.

Old 10 October 2010   #6
Curriculum

I found the courses that come under the program. It seem good. Now I've asked for the description. It's hard to understand what the course is about just by knowing the topics like "ENTC 5030 Investigation in Technology" or "DIGM 5821 Digital Media as an Art Form".

curriculum (link)

Curriculum

Graduate Degree Requirements

Students in the Digital Media Concentration may select either the thesis option requiring 33 semester hours including DIGM 5960 Thesis, or the non-thesis option requiring 36 semester hours including DIGM 5970 Digital Media Research Project.

Core Requirements:
All students in the Digital Media concentration must complete the following core courses:

ENTC 5950 Methods of Research
DIGM 5820 New Media Communication and Research

Choice of two (2) of the following graduate courses:

ENTC/BADM 5170 Strategic Management of Technology and Innovation
ENTC 5030 Investigation in Technology
ENTC 5640 Innovative Entrepreneurship
ENTC 5630 Project Management
ENTC 5800 Strategic Experience
ENTC 5060 Scheduling for Project & Quality Management
ENTC 5070 Leading Empowered Problem Solving Teams

Guided Electives:
Students must take at least 21 additional hours (thesis option), or 24 hours (non-thesis option) of graduate level guided electives. A combination of research and production electives may be chosen in consultation with your graduate committee chair and/or the Digital Media Program graduate coordinator, and should support your chosen study emphasis.

Choose approved elective courses from the following:

DIGM 5147/6 Fundamentals of Character Animation
DIGM 5617/6 Advanced Raster-Based Imaging
DIGM 5627/6 Motion Tools II: Compositing
DIGM 5637/6 Advanced Interaction Design
DIGM 5647/6 Advanced Animation
DIGM 5657/6 Advanced Web Design
DIGM 5667/6 Advanced Product Design
DIGM 5817 /63D Effects Animation
DIGM 5821 Digital Media as an Art Form
DIGM 5827/6 Experimental Digital Video
DIGM 5877/6 Advanced Modeling & Lighting
DIGM 5887/6 Technical Direction for Animation
DIGM 5900 Independent Study in Digital Media
DIGM 5910 Experimental Media I
DIGM 5915 Experimental Media II
DIGM 5957 Topics in Digital Media

Guided electives may also be taken in Technology, Computer Science, Art, Communications, Business, Math and other departments as appropriate to support a student’s chosen study emphasis and as approved by the program.

Internship or Co-op experiences are encouraged, but credits cannot be applied toward program requirements.

Note: Production-oriented courses may be combined graduate/undergraduate courses. These courses have numbers that end in a “7” (5xx7). No more than 10 hours (thesis option) or 11 hours (non-thesis option) of 5xx7 courses may be applied toward program requirements. Also, no more than 10 hours (thesis option) or 11 hours (non-thesis option) of Independent Study may be applied toward program requirements.

Culminating Experience:
All students in Digital Media concentration will be required to complete a “culminating experience” consisting of either DIGM 5960 Thesis, or DIGM 5970 Digital Media Research Project (non-thesis option). Both the Thesis and the Digital Media Research Project options require that the student work under the guidance of their advisory committee.

An oral presentation and defense of the completed culminating work must be scheduled. At this time the committee will perform a final review of the Thesis or Research Project. The student may (1) pass; or (2) fail, with an opportunity for further study and re-evaluation by the committee. A second failure will result in the student’s dismissal from the program. All M.S. candidates in Digital Media must provide the Department of Technology with a copy of the completed work, archived in an appropriate format, as approved by the committee.

Old 10 October 2010   #7
yea I going through the admission process here and it is a last option for me aswell. It does seem like they do there job and teach you what you need to know but you will need to do alot of independent studies to keep yourself growing past the classes demands

Old 10 October 2010   #8
@FullSailAlien

Yeah, I felt the same. It's now my last option too I'm on hunt for good, but less expensive colleges at the west.

Old 11 November 2010   #9
I should be starting this Spring 2011

Old 11 November 2010   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread