What else are the Maya limits as a student?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2010
What else are the Maya limits as a student?

If one buys a student Maya license, apart from not using it for commercial purposes, what are the other limitations of this license?

10 October 2010
You don't have to buy it. It's free from students.autodesk.com. You can't do commercial work on it, and you can't load it on an institutional machine (i.e. in a school's computer lab). Those are the only major restrictions.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by Meloncov: You don't have to buy it. It's free from students.autodesk.com. You can't do commercial work on it, and you can't load it on an institutional machine (i.e. in a school's computer lab). Those are the only major restrictions.

I understand the whole no commercial work thing but... u cant work on an assignment and then continue it at home, save it, then present/keep working it at school? =(

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by RREYGUN: I understand the whole no commercial work thing but... u cant work on an assignment and then continue it at home, save it, then present/keep working it at school? =(

I assume you can. You're not allowed to use files created in the student version for "institutional purposes" but I'm reasonably certain homework doesn't count.

If it's illegal to take files back and forth between student and school versions of the program, literally every animation student I know has broken the law.

Last edited by Meloncov : 10 October 2010 at 10:11 PM.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by Meloncov: I assume you can. You're not allowed to use files created in the student version for "institutional purposes" but I'm reasonably certain homework doesn't count.

If it's illegal to take files back and forth between student and school versions of the program, literally every animation student I know has broken the law.

haha. Im sorry im just a little bit confused. But what does it mean "insitutional purposes" as in You cant use the files produced to teach? or what?

Oh and how long can we have the package for?

10 October 2010
Only thing you can't do is use it for commercial purposes. Working on an assignment at home and at school is fine as far as I understand. Schools still have to pay for licenses, but students don't.
The license is good for 3 years now.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by JYoung: Only thing you can't do is use it for commercial purposes. Working on an assignment at home and at school is fine as far as I understand. Schools still have to pay for licenses, but students don't.
The license is good for 3 years now.

this is great news! thnx for quik reply ^_^

10 October 2010
When you open a file that's been saved using the student license a window pops up and says,
"The file being opened was created by a Student Version of Maya. Use of this data by an educational institution or for commercial purposes is a violation of your Maya License Agreement. This message will appear whenever this file is opened."

But that's it. The file still opens and works as it should.

10 October 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread