Universities with Great Animation Courses?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2010
Universities with Great Animation Courses?

So im in my final Year of High school and im looking at universities now. Ive decided to pursue a course in Animation but i need help deciding schools.

About me -
- Decent Drawer (Im not amazing but im not bad)
- Great with Photoshop
- Lack any real experience with animating programs other than Flash

So i was wondering if universities accepted students who lacked any real experience with animation however really wants to pursue it? I was thinking maybe taking a foundations course (Which universities such as VFS provide?)

Im looking for univeristies which have a campus preferably as even though universities provide me knowledge about all this for the next 3-4 years, i wont enjoy any of it without a social factor. (University of Heartfordshire looks great however im unsure of their acceptance on new comers to animation)

Looking at Canada, UK, Australia and America (Not so much due to price)

If you guys could help me out that would be great!

Last edited by Nmanpillay : 10 October 2010 at 07:31 AM.

10 October 2010
Yup most schools assume you know little or no animation.

" i wont enjoy any of it without a social factor."

I'm not sure how social you mean but if you are looking for the typical college experience (few parties, late nights, weekends), then be sure you talk with the school about the hours you are expected to do. Schools like Gnomon and VFS are expecting you to pull 70+ hour weeks.

I recommend taking a month or two and subscribing to Digital Tutors. For $45 a month you get access to their video library (HUGE). It is vary newbie friendly, and is the best video training I have found. I recommend this for several reasons. Firstly, how do you know you want to do something when you have little or no experience doing it. Don't want to get everything all set up and spend a whole boat load of money to find out you don't want to do it. Also the better you are going into the program, the better you will be coming out. Even if you only know the basics you will go in with an advantage.

Below I've listed a few of the best animation schools.

Ringling, Florida
CalArts, California
Gnomon, California
VFS, British Columbia
VanArts. British Columbia
Sheridan, Ontario
Animation Mentor, Online

Personally I'd either go to CalArts or Ringling. Both have a great name in the industry and put out a lot of talent.

Make sure you do as much research as possible. And beware of scam schools, there are loads popping up.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

10 October 2010
I did check out those universities, and some like Gnomon and Ringling look fantastic but they are hell expensive and i doubt we could afford them. Which is why i am looking for great alternatives in places such as the UK and Canada.

10 October 2010
Animation mentor is a REALLY good alternative if money is an issue. They are about 18,000 USD.

Other than that I'm not too sure. I don't know too much on animation schools.

Post of Wisdom

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by Nmanpillay: So im in my final Year of High school and im looking at universities now. Ive decided to pursue a course in Animation but i need help deciding schools.

About me -
- Decent Drawer (Im not amazing but im not bad)
- Great with Photoshop
- Lack any real experience with animating programs other than Flash

So i was wondering if universities accepted students who lacked any real experience with animation however really wants to pursue it? I was thinking maybe taking a foundations course (Which universities such as VFS provide?)

Im looking for univeristies which have a campus preferably as even though universities provide me knowledge about all this for the next 3-4 years, i wont enjoy any of it without a social factor. (University of Heartfordshire looks great however im unsure of their acceptance on new comers to animation)

Looking at Canada, UK, Australia and America (Not so much due to price)

If you guys could help me out that would be great!

Hi Nmanpillay

Thanks for the compliments Hertfordshire does accept students that haven't animated before, but the requirements for each of our degrees are different. If your drawing skills are strong, and so are your digital ones (including Flash animation) then we would certainly consider you for 2D animation (although I would need to see your portfolio first of course). If you wanted a place on one of the 3D related degrees (3D, Games Art or VFX) we would need to see some examples of 3D modelling - characters, vehicles, buildings etc are a good range that demonstrate the applicants ability to use 3D software. Of course it would be lovely to see some 3D animation, but we don't expect it and it isn't a requirement (although it does increase your chances of getting in!). If you want some opinions on the quality level of your art, put some online and PM me a link.

10 October 2010
Edit: Link is messed up for some reason. You need to read the second post in this forum.

School reps aren't welcome here.

as a side note, make sure when you are talking with schools you are wary of what they tell you. Don't forget, they get paid if you come to the school. Best thing to do is to talk to graduates, and not just the ones the school promotes.

Post of Wisdom

Last edited by MrConterno : 10 October 2010 at 04:51 AM.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by MrConterno: Edit: Link is messed up for some reason. You need to read the second post in this forum.

as a side note, make sure when you are talking with schools you are wary of what they tell you. Don't forget, they get paid if you come to the school. Best thing to do is to talk to graduates, and not just the ones the school promotes.

Who says school reps aren't welcome here?

10 October 2010
Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Im just wondering, does anyone know where i can check out some animation portfolio's of people who applied to university and got in?

By the way, im looking to do 3D animation guys

10 October 2010
I would say the two main criteria if you are prepared to go to another country is cost and potential employment at the end of the course. With any school ask where graduates from that course have gone on to work. Also it is a good idea to try and find out what percentage of graduates actually gain employment in the industry, as some courses will advertise they have had student go on to work for a company and it actually turns out to be one or two from the last 5-10 years.
Bournemouth is another good uni in the UK for animation. If it was my time over I would choose Vancouver VFX as they have a good reputation, Vancouver is a nice place and also has strong ties to the film/vfx industry.
Good luck.

10 October 2010
Originally Posted by MrConterno: Edit: Link is messed up for some reason. You need to read the second post in this forum.

I'm not a school rep, I'm a lecturer. I don't get any money from anyone that decides to study at Hertfordshire. I'm not paid in any way to give advice on forums, it's not part of my job description and I only do it at home in my own time. I don't get paid if the applicant comes to the school, I get paid the same regardless of who attends my courses - the UK has a completely different education system to the US. Universities here are still state funded; we do not have the same issues as a completely free market economy regarding education. So don't jump to conclusions next time. I was only replying to a question about my course, so I don't think that is advertising - if I hadn't replied the original poster would still be none the wiser. I don't need to advertise, I get 700 applicants a year for 100 places, so I never have a problem about wondering if I'll fill the course! I do this merely because I'm a nice person - if you look at my other posts you'll notice that I try to give people advice on any matter regarding study in the UK, whether it has anything to do with my course or not, simply because when I was a student I made some bad decisions regarding my places of study and in those days (before the internet) there was no way of getting information about a course. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the wrong education because they couldn't find the information they need, especially now that students in the UK have to pay for their degrees.

Apart from that I agree with your advice about graduates.

10 October 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread