A Question from a 15 year old

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2010   #1
A Question from a 15 year old

Hi, I am 15 years old and am currently learning maya and 3ds max (nice job! Digital Tutors!) I have a question about picking colleges when I graduate (a long way).

Should I choose a traditional college (like say, USC) an art college (like Academy of arts), or a focused 3d school (like Digipen)

By the way my focus is on 3d modeling in game props, environments, or any sci fi stuff

Old 09 September 2010   #2
Even if you are more into 3D modeling, building props, etc. you should have traditional art education, because it'll help you visualize what your are going to model & as an modeler you are expected to do some texturing to, so if you have traditional art education you could paint colors. Then go for extensive 3D program.

Good luck.

Old 10 October 2010   #3
Also a traditional arts background will give you a lot of experience becoming an artist, regardless of medium.

My professors used to say that it was a lot easier to take an artist and teach him computer skills than to take a computer expert and try to teach him art.

Ever seen a render that has amazing reflections and indirect lighting and surface detail and fog, but still looks like crap? Well that's what you get when you learn the tech in place of the art.

Old 10 October 2010   #4
I totally agree with what people have posted here...traditional art would be much more fulfilling and well-rounded overall.

I've been an environment artist in the video game industry for 5 years now and it is the classes that I took in art that helped me the most. Though, to be honest, the art classes I took were all done online or via tutorials and books, so don't think that you HAVE to go to college. I work with several people who have accrued tens of thousands of dollars in debt after having gone to specialized schools and regret it. You wouldn't be able to tell, either, which one of us attended such expensive schools.

I suggest taking a few online courses at CG Society (I have taken about 5 now, and they are worth their weight in gold). Use the money to buy Zbrush instead of feeling like you have to attend a 4-year school. Looking back, that's what I would have done and would have made it into the industry faster. It's what's in your portfolio that counts, no matter how you get there. Join online forums and competitions in modeling, that is also a good way to learn and get your name out there.

Hope that helps

Old 10 October 2010   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread