Why are CG schools so expensive?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2010   #1
Why are CG schools so expensive?

All of the top schools for CG are almost prohibitively expensive, why is this? Gnomon and VFS are at least 70k with living expenses. That seems extremely excessive given that the starting salary for entry level position isn't too high. It would be like going to med school to make the same wages as a janitor. (exaggeration but you get my point).

I saw that Gnomon used to be much less in previous years, but that they recently greatly raised the cost of their program. I'm not sure why you would be able to get a 4 year degree for less than a 2 year certificate?

Last edited by KillahPriest : 09 September 2010 at 07:37 AM.

Old 09 September 2010   #2
because people are willing to pay for it.
(i'm a contributor myself... (hides face) )

Old 09 September 2010   #3
50k for tuition, another 15 per year for staying.

thanks for judging every art school graduate ever.

Old 09 September 2010   #4
can we keep it constructive? I wasn't trying to step on anyones toes I was just wondering why some schools charge law school like tuition for a career that pays significantly less. maybe because it's a "fun" job?

Old 09 September 2010   #5
But wouldn't you tell the same to someone asking you 70K for an year course.. 'can we keep it contructive, sir' ? Eventually, wouldn't you ask the same when on your first job you'll get maybe 1/4 of 70K for a full year 10/12hrs day of work.. 'can we keep it constructive, man' ?

At that point, on both situations.. you'll get what's all about. Good luck in the while.

ciao, max

Old 09 September 2010   #6
Originally Posted by MaxTarpini: Edited

Thanks for the arrogant and snide comment. I also don't understand what you meant by the
1/4 of $70,000 for the first job but I can name plenty of my friends who've paid over 70k for an education and made well over 70k their first year out of school. Why? Because the program I'm in is worth the money and is structured very well. Because my tuition dollars pay the school to hire great teachers that work or have worked at top studios. Maybe you don't value education. But others do. A good education costs a pretty penny in the United States.

Anyway, Its expensive because most CG programs are at art schools that are already expensive. Also, depending on the location of the school it might be really expensive to hire teachers. Computers need to be upgraded year after year. The overhead is massive.

Last edited by Kanga : 09 September 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Old 09 September 2010   #7
I'm not your father that you need to convice me on anything really. Education at rates of 100k years is not education but legal robbery maintained by fathers (not you guys really) which believe that the best needs to stay with the best, a priori. That's an old rotten story which repeast itself from time to time. The remaining people, simply go for usual education and prove there to worth something more than the others. That's the work that forge the education, not the opposite, or just the money as you believe. Then of course there're good people and passionate workers also on such 100k year schools, but that's another story. Take care.

cheers, max

Old 09 September 2010   #8
Originally Posted by MaxTarpini: I'm not your father that you need to convice me on anything really. Education at rates of 100k years is not education but legal robbery maintained by fathers (not you guys really) which believe that the best needs to stay with the best, a priori. That's an old rotten story which repeast itself from time to time. The remaining people, simply go for usual education and prove there to worth something more than the others. That's the work that forge the education, not the opposite, or just the money as you believe. Then of course there're good people and passionate workers also on such 100k year schools, but that's another story. Take care.

cheers, max

I'm paying my way through school by myself. I didn't need to convince anyone anything. There's a reason why schools like Gnomon, VFS, Ringling, SCAD, SVA, are held so highly. They do their jobs on preparing students to work in their fields. They teach a trade not a job. So stop being so crass and generalising everyone who is willing to pay for their education as idiots. Its their money. They should spend it as they please.

Old 09 September 2010   #9
Cool ! Keep it up then man.

ciao, max

Old 09 September 2010   #10
The OP has asked a reasonable question. The question deserves a reasonable response. Please post without being abusive or insulting. Further impolite posts will result in a warning, further warnings a ban.

Old 09 September 2010   #11
I'd have to agree with googboog. People are willing to pay it. As long as they are filling classes they'll keep pushing prices up. It's good for affording talented instructors, but bad for the passionate (but poor) kid that wants to start a CG career.

Luckily this industry is very merit based that if you have the drive and the talent, you can make it without an expensive school. The biggest disadvantage (I think) is that it's harder to get networked since you don't develop those relationships you would in a class.

Old 09 September 2010   #12
I can say this much (personal experience) the teachers are not seeing your tuition in their paycheck. So if you are in a situation where you feel you are paying too much, please don't take it out on them. Chances are they are driving a 15 year old Toyota they jump-started that morning.

Generally these schools are for profit entities. That isn't wrong per se, but in the interest of education, it can be viewed as predatory on the uneducated. Some of us are (or were) teaching you because it's strangely fulfilling. (Yeah, can't explain it, but having a student come back a year later and buy me a drink and say thanks is simply amazing and gratifying.)

Google the student loan crisis and you will find a plethora of views on the subject of education and cost regardless of the degree. Personally, I feel a Fight Club solution sounds better and better.

If you can learn the subject matter without a formal education, you will do just fine. However, I do urge those of you thinking about school to understand what you want to do in CG/VFX and if it is a more art related specialty, I implore you to at least look at traditional and classical art.

The reference in the real world is far more valuable than another tiny waisted, bat-winged, gun-toting, knife-wielding elf girl with tattoos. (Avatar not withstanding)

Do you need to go to school and/or pay that?

It's really up to you and what you need to succeed.

Old 09 September 2010   #13
Originally Posted by Bitter: I can say this much (personal experience) the teachers are not seeing your tuition in their paycheck. So if you are in a situation where you feel you are paying too much, please don't take it out on them. Chances are they are driving a 15 year old Toyota they jump-started that morning.

I will make sure I don't.

The only thing I find hard to determine is whether or not the school is worth it. I know that's a very ambiguous thing to ask, but there is no standard for art like there is for academics (as far as I know.) Is there a ranking somewhere I could find?

What you pay for is not necessarily what you get.

Old 09 September 2010   #14
Most reviews are going to be. . .somewhat skewed.

I would occasionally have students complain they weren't learning the right stuff or what they wanted to learn.

As a rule, you don't know what you don't know.

You might get a better idea from graduates. They have a measure for the level of success to some degree. Students currently in a program don't really know. They just know if they're happy, not if it's useful. They haven't tried it to be sure it's useful.

And lastly, successful students disappear into the woodwork.

Unsuccessful students like to vent. So you will always find more haters, lol.

Overall, specialized schools are more technical in nature. Regular Universities (state schools, etc) will be more art based. (I am a personal hater of tenure. It means the professors can basically stop learning and teach you the methods from 1999.)

Old 09 September 2010   #15
hi there, I'm also posting this in reply, I'm not sure if this is one of the answer to your question but I hope it can give you a reason of why we are paying such a heavy tuition fee just to learn for the cg job we are taking for the future. also from my experience

I actually student from malaysia at the one academy majoring in digital animation, this course like other art colleges students go through probably 1 year foundation and 2 years majoring year, since I'm finishing soon and graduating, I'm also futhering overseas in new zealand in a college that offers a course that more in the specialized areas, I picked CG character animation, so I gues the tuition fee could be different? but the course fee also can be depending on which area the student wants to specialize in?

I guess the tuition fee is mostly decided by the people in the respected department too, lol I'm not expert to judge that. again just from my experience after goign through my 3 years, I hope you will find what you want and are able to learn something XD

Thread Closed share thread