VFX (PG/masters) in UK, help needed!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2010
Originally Posted by Darkherow: ...

While these are all very good schools (or at least I assume they're very good schools) they as far as I know aren't recognised academic institutions and will most likely have far fewer benefits for international students studying at them.

Bursaries, extended VISA/Work permits and a far cheaper cost (an Msc at NCCA Bournemouth is roughly a third of the cost of a VFS programme) and a qualification that is recognised outside of our little circle which claims not to give a crap about degrees and diplomas makes it a very tough sale.

We could talk about Escape in London but its the same equation, a 12 week course will cost you as much as a 3 year undergraduate degree or a one year post graduate degree as a fee paying international student. You can talk about quality and stuff but I just can't see how they can be that far ahead of places like Bournemouth.

09 September 2010
I guess it all depends on what you want and can afford. Although some of these schools aren't recognised as academic institutions but if you want a job in the industry it is what's on your reel that matters and from looking at the work of the graduates, in my opinion you can say that they are at a level where an employer will take notice. I just don't see how a certificate in a degree is more important, if you can get a great reel and have the knowledge carried into a job in the industry. In my opinion the industry wants capable people not a certificate.

However not to say a University course like Bournemouth is not as good as other courses as it is one of the best courses and probably in the UK, I just want to let the poster know that there are other options and there's a reason that courses at VFS and etc are well known. Another thing is have you looked at courses in India? as I think there are some well known courses there too!

Another note is that you need to research what you need to do for a reel, companies to apply to and etc. Also you need to put in the hard work as a course at the end of the day will only help you so much, even the top courses.

Last edited by Darkherow : 09 September 2010 at 11:37 PM.

09 September 2010
Sorry for delayed replies...

@ moidphotos - a) So how much percentage one needs to get as International Student in Undergrad to be qualified as 2i?? Do Uni give some relaxation in marks if applicant has good portfolio?
b) Do you think UK Uni would take a fresh Undergrad for post grad, i mean do they ask if the applicant has some kind of experience??

@darkherow - Thanks for listing some good vfx institutes, but as i have told earlier, i really need Government recognized Post Grad degree, coz then only i could get student loan & visa extention.
VFS,LBL are both good but they are private..

@woozie - Escape is good too, i have heard about their studios & learning environment, but i'll stick to varsity education. Did you find any other varsity with good post prodction/VFX course??

@ darkherow - There are no Best institutes in India, i have checked FX school is good though,but nothing compared to UK,US,Canadian education..
Quote: Another note is that you need to research what you need to do for a reel, companies to apply to and etc. Also you need to put in the hard work as a course at the end of the day will only help you so much, even the top courses.

Thanks for the advice, i'll keep this in mind..I am doing thorough research for Course,College,Portfolio...

Thanks again guys!

09 September 2010
I'm not sure what the percentage grade is to get a 2i, my university grades using a letter/number system eg A1,A2,A3, B1, B2 etc - to get a 2i you need a B average over all modules. Some universities may accept students at lower degree levels, some may not - you have to ask the university.

Most UK post graduate students come straight from undergraduate, so there is no need to get professional experience before applying.

09 September 2010
Originally Posted by moidphotos: I'm not sure what the percentage grade is to get a 2i, my university grades using a letter/number system eg A1,A2,A3, B1, B2 etc - to get a 2i you need a B average over all modules. Some universities may accept students at lower degree levels, some may not - you have to ask the university.

Most UK post graduate students come straight from undergraduate, so there is no need to get professional experience before applying.

Now this is some good news... now i am gonna contact BU & others for further clarifications
Thanks for your help moidphotos & i'll post if i have more questions

09 September 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread