School in UK

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2010   #1
School in UK

Hi.. I am from India and I plan to travel to UK for Animation studies... I have applied to quite a few Universities and have final offers in my hand. Just want to know, which is the best of the following. I want more techie stuff as I already have very strong traditional art background. I have already worked as Production Manager- Animations for over an year, so I have good working knowledge of Maya and MAx. My options are:

Bournemouth University
Middlesex university
Hertfordshire University
University of Sunderland
Swansea Metropolitan University
Staffordshire University
Bedfordshire University
DeMontford university

I have Unconditional Offers from all of these.

I want to pursue my Masters and hopefully my PhD as well after I finish off with Undergrad study..

Old 08 August 2010   #2
Hey

I would go with Bournemouth University as it has a great reputation with the vfx industry in London and other vfx hotspots around the world. I'm an MA student currently studying here and would recommend it simply due to its reputation amongst industry officials and contacts.

Cheers

Tj

Old 08 August 2010   #3
Bournemouth!!!

Bournemouth should be your first option.. undoubtedly!

Old 03 March 2011   #4
Shamon, your post looks suspiciously like advertising. Are you affiliated with the school?

Old 03 March 2011   #5
Originally Posted by leigh: Shamon, your post looks suspiciously like advertising. Are you affiliated with the school?

I have friends there and I think its the best Uni for VFX

What do you think to the Uni?

Last edited by Shamon : 03 March 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Originally Posted by Shamon: The University of Hertfordshire has a brand new VFX course and is only 20 minutes by train to London.

Are you saying they have started a new VFX course??
Coz i can only see Undergrad course on their site & the OP wants to know about masters or above..

Old 03 March 2011   #7
What kind of achievement you expected after you have finished the course ?

If you wish to work in an animation industry it is best to find a studio such as Escape studio instead of going to take any university course . Here are serval reasons that you can considered before you make your move .

1 . Most of the tutors in the animation course are not hired from an industry cause it is expensive to make an offer for them . In that case the faculty may hire the graduated student or tranfer other faculties whom have zero experience in Animation .

2. Secondly you may have to do serval asignment which is not related with animation because these asignment is a part of the course .

All in all it is your decision to make your move , the reason I wrote these advice because I have situated before .

Anyway good luck and find your favourite university

Leo

Old 03 March 2011   #8
Originally Posted by sexyleo: If you wish to work in an animation industry it is best to find a studio such as Escape studio instead of going to take any university course .

I personally disagree with this. Escape Studios is great for people who need to get up to speed on something quickly, and actually suits people who already have some industry experience.

Here in the UK, there are a number of universities that have a very good reputation with the studios in London and other cities, most notably Bournemouth University, who produce graduates with extremely good technical skillsets, many of whom are hired each year by the big studios here in Soho. I think if you're wanting a solid education, then a university like Bournemouth (or Hertfordshire, or Teeside) are far better options than Escape Studios, especially since they also provide you with proper degrees which may come in useful for other things.

Old 03 March 2011   #9
Originally Posted by Shamon: I have friends there and I think its the best Uni for VFX

What do you think to the Uni?

You really should be careful of advising people based purely on the fact that you have friends there. Having no first hand experience of the university yourself, how can you possibly make the statement that you think it's "the best uni for VFX"? Do you work in VFX with graduates from their course yourself? If not, you should be more careful with posting comments like this.

Old 03 March 2011   #10
if your after character animation i would go to this school:
http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/p...r-animation.htm

If your into the techincal side of animation TD/sfx go to bournmouth Uni, most of the graduates that do find jobs are employed as TDs.

Good luck!

Old 03 March 2011   #11
Okay, I asked you if you're affiliated with the school, and you said no. I did a search using your name from your email address and found that you are, in fact, a lecturer at the university of Hertfordshire. This is furthermore proven by the fact that your IP address shows you're posting from there. This is the third time that you guys have come onto this site recently, pretending to be unaffiliated with the school, while promoting it.

Not only is it against the rules here, as we do not allow advertising within this particular forum, but frankly having a bunch of you people blatantly telling lies on this website doesn't put your institution in a very good light. In fact, I'll certainly never recommend to anyone to go there myself, considering your dishonest behaviour. It doesn't say a whole lot for the integrity and quality of your course if you have to repeatedly lie and misrepresent yourself in order to advertise it.

Old 03 March 2011   #12
I have mixed feelings about Bournemouth. I applied to Bournemouth, got an unconditional offer and ended up in Salisbury for the first two years where we ended up teaching ourselves most of the time because we didn't have any lectures anymore after the first couple of weeks.

After a year out in the industry we were then supposed to move over to Bournemouth directly to finish our BA. Funnily enough people from our course were moved to Poole instead, where we were going to be taught by someone who was working on his MA at the time. The first tutorial DVD we were handed out turned out to be a copy of commercially available training DVDs with the voiceover changed and the individual steps reenacted. The co-tutor then left within the first two weeks after some discussions and there were no signs of him being replaced. While these are things I'd normally just ignore, the showreel we were presented of work produced the year before was a complete letdown and didn't exactly get my hopes up either. The next few weeks pretty much confirmed the impression that we weren't going to be taught much (unless you're talking about a very basic level of knowledge).

I left the course after about two months along with some other people. I'm certain that this doesn't apply to all courses there but it seems as though it's quite important to make sure you actually end up in Bournemouth directly and aren't moved out to those external courses (if things haven't changed since), which are apparently part of Bournmouth university just the same.

Old 04 April 2011   #13
i did my degree (3D Computer Generated Imagery Modelling and Animation BSc) that DucK- mentioned. be very very careful when applying to bournemouth university, the course with the good reputation and links to industry is run by the NCCA, the other is run by bournemouth & poole college BPC. i'm not saying don't go to the course run by BPC as its one of the few courses using 3Ds max, but just be ready to teach yourself and each other as you will surpass any teacher there within 6 months. i'm hoping its improved even just a bit since i graduated almost 5 years ago but i doubt it. make sure you actually visit bournemouth before accepting a place there and talk to students about what they think as the teachers will lie to you.

Old 04 April 2011   #14
to be honest,
I think which ever uni/course you end up picking you have to be realistic. No matter how good the course you are going to have to do ALOT of self learning.

theres a bunch of reasons for that:
1) Its very hard for unis to keep up with an industry that changes so fast.. it takes a ridiculously long time to change course content from what I understand.
2) generally speaking tutors aren't great.. a lot of the time they are people who never made it them selves.. or did but alot of their technical knowledge can be out of date etc
3) Most courses are pretty generalised.. It may be a 3D animation course butt your going to have people that just want to work in games or films, people who want to model, people who want to texture etc etc.
The course cant hope to cater for all these people with enough depth- and as i mentioned before the tutors probably dont have enough knowledge across the board for that.
So if you for example 100% want to be an animator you might get some character animation specific lectures.. but your gonna end up doing a lot of online/self learning if you want to be good enough.

the uni I went to frankly didnt teach a lot of anything, did give me 3 years to sit on maya and learn my way round etc and a chance to get to network a bit- that bieng said from a smallish class of about 30 students I think about 5 work in the industry that im aware of.

If I was to do it again-
If i knew for example I wanted to be an animator Id do AM or I animate etc. Not sure if theres an equivalent for any of the other disciplines but hopefully you see what I mean

If you dont know then Id probably look for a course that teaches some technical stuff but focuses on making you a better artist colour theory composition etc and then learn what you really want to learn on the side.

Edit: just reread you post- if you want to be more techie id try and find out more about the tutors and actual course content and see whats more likely to push you

just my 2 cents

=>Reel & Portfolio<=
Linkedin

Old 04 April 2011   #15
Hi Leigh

I hope you don't mind a quick reply to your post. I just wanted to state that most people that do are full-time classroom course have no industry experience and in fact our course are designed for that - to give people the skills to create a showreel to get them their first job.

I also think it is wrong to compare what we do directly with undergraduate degrees. It really isn't a matter of do that or do this, as you're not really comparing like for like. Most of our students are post-graduate or career changers who do not have the technical skills required to create a showreel that's going to get them a job.

Many people get a degree, do well and get job, but some don't and can then further their training at somewhere like Escape. Also some people do a completely unrelated or unsuitable degree to work in VFX like Media Production a realise it's what they really want to do - they then have to train to get the skills required.

Spending time at University is very important in providing the opportunity to develop the creativity and maturity to work as professional CG artists, and I would always recommend that people go if they have the opportunity - but it doesn't always deliver the technical skills to actually do the job.

The universities mentioned here all have good reps and many people graduate from their courses and go on to work in the industry, but that's not the only route people take.

Just wanted to throw that in there...

Best
Paul

Originally Posted by leigh: I personally disagree with this. Escape Studios is great for people who need to get up to speed on something quickly, and actually suits people who already have some industry experience.

Here in the UK, there are a number of universities that have a very good reputation with the studios in London and other cities, most notably Bournemouth University, who produce graduates with extremely good technical skillsets, many of whom are hired each year by the big studios here in Soho. I think if you're wanting a solid education, then a university like Bournemouth (or Hertfordshire, or Teeside) are far better options than Escape Studios, especially since they also provide you with proper degrees which may come in useful for other things.
www.escapestudios.co.uk

Thread Closed share thread