Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

The Art Institutes

Hello, I kinda look already around this forum for some similar topic, and i didnt find any, and this is kinda an opinion i need from you guys.

So here it is, i just graduated from high school, and im going into The Art Institutes of Huston,
i was already accepted for the Animation Program, anyway, i applied to SCAD too, but jeje my grades werent good enough, so what is your opinion about this school? obviously, not just for the Huston one, but The Art Institutes in general, also i wanted to ask you guys, after graduating, i dont think ill get the kind of jobs i would like in Huston, id like something like, Movie animation, or Animate the special effects on a movie, or the cinematics of a videogame, so do you have a top ten cities for those kinda jobs? where are the companies the work on this kind of stuff? just in Florida, Los Angeles??

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
MrConterno
CG Padawan

portfolio
Nicholas Conterno
Student
Gnomon
Hollywood, USA

Send a message via AIM to MrConterno Send a message via MSN to MrConterno Send a message via Yahoo to MrConterno
Greetings

Personally I don't care for any AI (art institute). The products I have seen coming from these schools seem to be highly outdated and not even near industry standards. One of my acquaintance's went to an AI and dropped out because of the "laughable standards". Another thing to keep in mind is AIs accept almost everyone who applies. I like to compare them to McDonalds, they are all over the place and the quality of product they give is utter crap. They want to put out as many burgers as they can as cheap as they can (students being burgers). My advice is stay away.

I'm not sure where you are in skill level or financial ability but below you will find a list of great schools.

Ringling, Sarasota Florida. Arguably the best animation school in the world.

Gnomon, LA Cali. Personally I can't vouch for their animation program but others I trust have. Their other specializations are amazing so I'd bet animation would be too.

SCAD, you already mentioned them so I'll skip the details.

Animation Mentor, online. Generally I don't recommend online programs but this one seems to have their stuff together pretty well.

Vancouver Film School (VFS), Vancouver BC Canada. One of the best in the field.

Vancouver Media Arts (VanArts), Vancouver BC Canada. Another good option if cash is a bit tight.

California Arts (CalArts), not sure on the city. Some amazing animators have graduated from here. This place is much more experimental.

Any one of these school have the tools to get you into the industry.

As far as jobs go for both film and games:

(City, State) (Major Studios)
Orlando Florida: Universal Studios, Disney
Los Angeles California: Activision, EA, Rythm & Hues
San Francisco California: LucasFilm, ILM, Lucas Arts, Disney, Ubisoft
(California in general has LOADS of jobs)
Austin Texas: Activision, BioWare, Blizzard, Disney, Sony Online Entertainment (ruined SWG grr!)

Those are the major hubs

Also Canada and England both have some major studios.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions in the future.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Gee, well.. thanks to my crappy put of effort in highschool, thats the only choice i have for now, but, what if i stay 1 year in TheAi, and then transfer to scad or something?
Do you think is worth it?
Also if i go for the Animation Mentor Online for one year, would that help me to get into a good college later? even though my final highschool trnascrip sucks.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Lyr
Lord of the posts
Aaron Abel
USA

Send a message via MSN to Lyr
The Art Institutes are part of Education Management Corporation a publicly traded company. Since they are publicly traded thier first loyalty and duty is to the share holders, and not students. In order to maximize share holder profits, EDMC (education management corporation) uses the students who attend thier "schools" to lock down government gauranteed student loans, which the students then use to pay for thier tuition, which over the course of the program will magically approach the borrowing cap for a BFA. EDMC gets thier money by you going into debt. Once you borrow that money, EDMC gets paid, they don't care how or even if you can pay that money back.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Don't go to AI, go to SCAD.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

What is your opinions about AI Rebeccak?? and what could i do at this point to get into SCAD which already rejected me. u.u

Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse92
What is your opinions about AI Rebeccak?? and what could i do at this point to get into SCAD which already rejected me. u.u
I'm biased, but I don't refer any of my high school or community college transfer students to AI. It's not to say that all of them are bad, but I've heard many first and second hand accounts of students over the years who felt that AI was a ripoff. Here in California, the local AI's are not regionally / WASC (Western Association of Schools Colleges) accredited, which means that if you attend AI in California or any AI that is part of the Western United States, your credits will not be accepted towards a graduate degree. So if you ever wanted to pursue your masters, you would have to repeat your 4 years of school at a WASC accredited or other regionally accredited school. AI is owned by Goldman Sachs, a bank, and you can imagine how much they care about your average art student. AI does not have acceptance criteria, which means that you will be going to school with students who probably couldn't get their act together to go to a better school, meaning that you might not be very challenged and therefore not very prepared for the wider world.

My suggestion is to get your grades up by attending a community college and just get your act together academically, if possible. If your grades are low then maybe you are not serious enough yet for college, or it's possible that you could have academic barriers, but either way it's better to mature on the cheap in a cc and then eventually transfer to a better school than waste $100 K in a school that doesn't care enough about its student population to screen them for competence, but will gladly accept your cash.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06-02-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #8
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Is there the possibility to take 1 year at AI and then transfer to another Art college?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
Lyr
Lord of the posts
Aaron Abel
USA

Quote:
Is there the possibility to take 1 year at AI and then transfer to another Art college?

Usually that answer is no. That is part of what accredidation determines. You would have to do your research well ahead of time to insure that the classes you took at at AI would transfer.

If what you want to do is animation then try and get into animation mentor that will be a much better use of your money and time. If you want a solid foundation for a career in the visual arts consider more classically oriented training. You can find a list of classically oriented art schools here: http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliers.php

Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Ironically, you're more likely to transfer much cheaper community college credits than AI credits. I've met several students who have run into the frustration of not being able to transfer any of their AI credits to another institution.

Lyr, my personal opinion is that I don't think Animation Mentor is the right path for someone straight out of high school - it's just an online program, much more suitable for a working adult or post-graduate student than a person needing a degree, time to mature, and an all around college experience. It's probably great for someone who has already received a degree from a brick and mortar school.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Dare-o
portfolio
Cory
Vancouver, Canada

If they go through with getting rid of the 24hr access to the new vancouver campus, I doubt ill recommend this school to anyone.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
MrConterno
CG Padawan

portfolio
Nicholas Conterno
Student
Gnomon
Hollywood, USA

Send a message via AIM to MrConterno Send a message via MSN to MrConterno Send a message via Yahoo to MrConterno
I agree with Rebeccak, go to a CC and get your GPA up. Most schools won't care about how bad you did in HS if you went to a CC and got As and Bs. Even if just for a few months this will help. This also gives you a chance to meet new people, get your act together, and really get ready to work your ass off at your goal college. Also this gives you more time to make sure yes this is what I want to do. Two years ago I was dead set on going to Ringling for animation. My school screwed up and didn't send my transcripts on time so I didn't get accepted. I had to wait another year to apply (they only accept applications once a year) and in that year I learned, wow I can't stand animation! Now I am going to Gnomon for what I actually like.

A note on animation mentor, if I was you I would probably skip it. Online programs take a lot of dedication and focus. Think about it you are at home, do you want to work on school, or play your xbox. Hopefully you want to work on school more but that temptation can be dangerous. Most HS grads aren't mature enough to be that disciplined. You may be disciplined enough, just some thing to think about.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Last edited by MrConterno : 06-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Mmm well lets say that i do like CC for fall only.. like from august or october to december or jauary, just to get my GPA up, and then i apply for the summer semester or spring semester at a good college...that would be the best thing to do right? , so in the CC what classes should i take? only art and that stuff, or like everything, history, math, english...

Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Lyr
Lord of the posts
Aaron Abel
USA

If someone isn't mature enough for animation mentor, they aren't mature enough for college. There are alot of students who use the "college experience" as an excuse to prolong thier adolesence.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Lyr
Lord of the posts
Aaron Abel
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConterno
A note on animation mentor, if I was you I would probably skip it. Online programs take a lot of dedication and focus. Think about it you are at home, do you want to work on school, or play your xbox. Hopefully you want to work on school more but that temptation can be dangerous. Most HS grads aren't mature enough to be that disciplined. You may be disciplined enough, just some thing to think about.

Is there some place where all those temptations magically vanish? No there isn't. Regardless of what program a person chooses they will have to be very dedicated, focused and avoid temptation to succeed. These are hardly barriers unique to animation mentor.

Thread Closed share thread