how to be good character modeler

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2010   #1
how to be good character modeler

hi everyone ;

i'm a beginner to 3d Graphics i'm now learning autodesk maya

i want to be professional modeler and specially in character modeling

so what is the bath i should follow and what is the lessons i need for this

finally what are the other specialtities that character modeler needs , i mean shading , lighting , texturing etc...

thanks

Old 05 May 2010   #2
"so what is the path i should follow and what is the lessons i need for this"
Not sure what you mean by that exactly.

As a modeler you should also know how to texture. You should know a bit about everything in CG, but just focus on modeling and texturing.

Also you may want to look into Z Brush. I have found that if you are modeling organics you will want to work in Z Brush, while if you are modeling hard surfaces (cars, houses, objects) you will want Maya (or a sister program).

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 06 June 2010   #3
I was actually wondering something concerning character modeling. I'm currently going through the digital tutors character modeling with maya but have seen there is a character creation with zbrush tutorial as well using a base mesh made within zbrush and developing a character from that. Which one should I be doing?

I've also got a gnomon character creation DVD which creates a character entirely from zbrush and the creator supposedly uses this 'quicker' method for some films he's been involved in. So, is it that characters for games go through the maya/3ds max and then to zbrush for detailing route and characters/creatures for films and such can be made entirely from zbrush?

I just want to know which tutorial I should be focusing on also.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 06 June 2010   #4
Master the foundations at a program like this: http://grandcentralacademy.classici...ureatelier.html The software/technical stuff you can just learn from one of the many dvd's on the subject that are out there.

Old 06 June 2010   #5
thanks all
MrConterno ;

thanks for the advice really i should know much about texture and i would be organic and hard surface modeler so i will learn zbrush also

Lyr ;

this is a sculpting program i didn't understand what do u mean ?

Old 06 June 2010   #6
anyone has more informations ?

Old 06 June 2010   #7
Hi

Well yes, it is a sculpting program, but it is very similiar to the 3d sculpting.I have seen sculptors getting good in 3d extremly fast...A good 3d character modeler needs to know alot about body anatomy, the same goes for someone who works with clay.The same goes for traditional painting and cg painting.The computer is only a tool.

Old 07 July 2010   #8
I haven't done much of traditional sculpting but knowing how to draw figure does have a similar effect.

Zbrush doesnt really replace Maya. They are totally different tools. Zbrush just adds the missing artistic tools which maya doesn't have. You still need to render your scene, Uv map your models and stuff. I also find it better to make base meshes in maya and do the sculpting in Zbrush.

When you go through those video tutorial from gnomon or wherever you'll find that modelers uses wide variety of apps and plugins for different tasks to achieve some good result pretty quickly.

Some good book for Zbrush for the character sculpting = http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/Sybex...0470450266.html

Old 07 July 2010   #9
Being a good character modeler requires first and foremost a trained eye. You can only develop that through several years of practicing art, either on the computer or in a traditional form (drawing, sculpting etc). Learning the tools and methods is also important, but pretty much secondary.

Noone can be good at it just by starting a course from scratch, even with mad talent and dedication.

Old 07 July 2010   #10
Originally Posted by Mayaway:
hi everyone ;
i'm a beginner to 3d Graphics i'm now learning autodesk maya
i want to be professional modeler and specially in character modeling
so what is the bath i should follow and what is the lessons i need for this
finally what are the other specialtities that character modeler needs , i mean shading , lighting , texturing etc...
thanks

First of all you need good knowledge of anatomy, proportions. Remember, maya, zbrush and others are just instruments, they will not do any work instead of you. Shading, lighting, texturing will not save your character if his forms will be ugly. So my recomendations - for the first time 80% theory and 20% of the techical side. It will be very useful, if you will try make some non-digital models from clay, just to feel proportions, gesture. Good luck.

Old 11 November 2010   #11
Learn drawing. You can model as good as you can draw. It's all about observation, and drawing is the fastest way to learn and improve your observation skill.

You can't draw - you can't model. You will always be a crippled modeler without ability to draw things.

Old 12 December 2010   #12
Hi, I'm in a the same situation as you, i'm a beginer to zbrush and I'm looking for the best courses/books/tutorials to become a good character modeler! I think I already have some good basics. When I finish watching my tutorials I downloaded I'm going to post the best ones here!

Old 12 December 2010   #13
Honestly I'd pickup another app and learn side by side the same things in both apps. That way you'll be twice as valuable to employers.

Old 12 December 2010   #14
Originally Posted by PartisanFox: Learn drawing. You can model as good as you can draw. It's all about observation, and drawing is the fastest way to learn and improve your observation skill.

You can't draw - you can't model. You will always be a crippled modeler without ability to draw things.

Wrong, some of the best 3d modellers in the world cannot even draw let alone visualise their ideas in 2d. Best example is Wayne Robson from Mudboxhug, he is a world class modeller, and there was a question on his forums a few months ago about drawing, and he says he cannot even draw that good, and he cant really see things in 2d, he says he prefers 3d. While drawing may aid you, it by no means that if you cant draw you cant model.

Old 12 December 2010   #15
I'll quote what someone from this forum has said before:

"People who cant draw make reasonable models.
People who draw reasonably make great models.
People who are great artist make awesome 3d."

Thread Closed share thread