Artistic Scholarship at SCAD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2010   #1
Artistic Scholarship at SCAD

Hey, I'm an Israeli seeking an education in animation, but the only way I can attend an American Institution is by obtaining a partial scholarship. From my research, I know that SCAD offers quite a bit of money to entering students. I applied, and got accepted, but with no financial aid. I would very much appreciate any help concerning this issue, as I would like to improve my portfolio and resubmit it. Are there any guidelines I should follow? Any feedback or criticism is highly welcomed as it has always been my dream to be an animator. You can view some of my works on this site.

Thanks, Asi

Old 05 May 2010   #2
Art schools usually offer very little foreigners scholarships

One big problem for you is that most US schools, other than the top ivys and a few others, don't offer non-US citizens any financial aid. Foreigners are looked at as "cash cows." I don't know if this is your problem or that you didn't have good enough admission stats to warrant any type of scholarsip.

Old 05 May 2010   #3
Originally Posted by taxguy: One big problem for you is that most US schools, other than the top ivys and a few others, don't offer non-US citizens any financial aid. Foreigners are looked at as "cash cows." I don't know if this is your problem or that you didn't have good enough admission stats to warrant any type of scholarsip.

actually domestics are looked at as "cash cows" too. We had a gigantic student outcry when i was in SCAD 1999-2003 becase actual artists barely got scholarships (or got fake schloarships that give you a couple of thousands off but at an inflated tuition price...) while athletes with absolutely no artistic ability (or atrocious abilities) got free rides, because the school felt that it needed a stronger presence in athletic competition.

so at the end of the day, you are going to be screwed by scad like everyone else. Shady school. If you can help it, stay away from scad.

oh and by the way, scad accepts everyone. so dont feel special. they just want your money.

Last edited by stooch : 05 May 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Old 05 May 2010   #4
Originally Posted by stooch: actually domestics are looked at as "cash cows" too. We had a gigantic student outcry when i was in SCAD 1999-2003 becase actual artists barely got scholarships (or got fake schloarships that give you a couple of thousands off but at an inflated tuition price...) while athletes with absolutely no artistic ability (or atrocious abilities) got free rides, because the school felt that it needed a stronger presence in athletic competition.

so at the end of the day, you are going to be screwed by scad like everyone else. Shady school. If you can help it, stay away from scad.

oh and by the way, scad accepts everyone. so dont feel special. they just want your money.

Any suggestions on other schools to look at?

Old 05 May 2010   #5
look at any school thats not in the middle of nowhere.

georgia has no CG industry, the key to getting a job in CG is to do internships and be local to the businesses you want to work with... The only way a company is going to hire you as an intern is if you can be on site... if you arent then you have to be a badass artist... and if you are a badass artist... you shouldnt be going to CG school in the first place.

so go to a school in california, NYC, boston, etc.

major cities.

also in my opinion, the school you go to doesnt really matter. save money on tuition and learn cg on your own via dvds, books and alot of practice. Of course a college education is important to have, it will make you a better person and more intelligent to talk to... But consider the gigantic loans you have to repay before you sign up for the loans in a school that claims to teach CG... cg placement out of colleges is something like 3-5%.

alot of the work i did in scad as part of classwork was doing existing tutorials... hotshot cg artists usually dont aspire to be a scad professor... they tend to get hired and work on kickass projects. so you are unlikely to get a CG expert unless you go to a speciality school.

that being said, there were some really badass professors in scad, such as malcolm kesson and garman herigstadt. unfortunatelly as far as i know, neither still teach at scad. garman started his own houdini school in texas.

also if you want to do CA, i suggest you learn the basics of 3D and then take an animation mentor course.

also, one more reason not to go to scad.. unless you are loaded, you will have to get a side job to pay rent etc. (i did that and saved alot on loans) but a place like savannah will leave you with no job prospects other than a few bars and restaurants downtown. i personally hate waiting on people, it goes against my personality, so for me it was tough making money. again a big city wont have that problem.

SCAD does have a chapter in atlanta, but after my experience with SCAD i have too much of a bad taste in my mouth and wouldnt recommend them anyway. besdies, atlanta isnt a huge hub of CG either.

since you are international, maybe look at schools in canada too. they have CG hotspots like vancouver.

Last edited by stooch : 05 May 2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 05 May 2010   #6
Thanks guys, I'm always looking for imput, of any kind. I've been told good thing about SCAD before, I also got accepted into Ringling (the only other school I applied to in the USA). I ruled Ringling out because it has practically no financial aid to offer. Any other suggestions otherwise? Where in NYC, VC, Boston, etc. Also I'd very much appreciate if you spare me some more of your time to look at my portfolio, I can't upload it all on CGtalk and I'm in a self improving process. Also, I just got out of the army so I haven't had much time to research the industry to depth, so any help is greatly appreciated. If you are willing to look at my works, please post your e-mail.

Thanks for your time, Asi!

Old 05 May 2010   #7
hehe, well ill tell you what. Knowing how to market yourself and presenting your work is the most important thing for you to learn in the cg business. (if making money is what you seek to do)

As you can see, alot of people ehre have website links in their signatures, they also use vimeo and google to share their videos. I highly recommend taht you make either a simple reel website or post a blog/vimeo/youtube page. Otherwise you wont really get too many people dishing out their email address. (which is a bad thing to do anyway, it causes spam to get sent to us from bots that crawl for email addresses)

Old 05 May 2010   #8
Ok thanks, I'm still in the stage of working on my art rather than "make myself known". But I appreciate the insight and the thoughtful responses, I will look into getting a domain and designing a website too.

Old 05 May 2010   #9
Hi Asi,

Welcome to the forums. I too came to the US from Israel for school , but I had an American citizenship already prior to that.
A few things I would like to add...

1. You can work hard in school and earn grants and scholarships throughout school. When I started I had no financial aid, because I didn't go to high school here. I also did not know much about scholarships at the time. I started off only with loans, but earned financial aid due to good grades as I went through college.

2. Unfortunately most people wont go to you to ask to see your work. You need to make it as simple as possible for us to view it. A click of a button. If I have to contact you for you to contact me to see your stuff, it becomes a bit of an inconvenience. Not trying to sound mean, its just that I most likely would click the back button and move on. So find some video or image hosting sites and get your work up, as previously mentioned.
I will send you my email in a private message this time, because it would be silly not to after writing this post to you.

3. Many of the students applying to the better art schools have extensive training. When I went to school I really felt overwhelmed by the artistic level of the other students. So if you are seeking financial aid, realize that you are competing against people from all over the world, with some extraordinary talents. I am telling you this so that you understand that you really need to practice day and night to improve and catch up if you have no previous training in art. I didnt have any either, and I practiced day and night for over a year after the army.

4. I think the most dominant cg school in the NYC area is SVA ( school of visual arts)

Good Luck!

~Ilan

Old 05 May 2010   #10
SCAD looks for traditional art skills in their portfolios, regardless of your planned area of study. They want to see that you understand forms, lighting, color, space, etc. Traditional media will probably help you out a lot. They seem to like figure drawing, things that show you know 2 or 3 point perspective, ability to perceive light/form (e.g. fully "rendered" drawings) and so forth. CG work, photography, website design, etc doesn't to get as much money (if any at all.)

I agree with what others have said - if you can't get the money you want from scholarships/grants for SCAD, go elsewhere. The quality of education here is not worth being massively in debt for. The location sucks, even if you have a car you will be hard pressed to find a job that pays more than $8/hour with 6000 other unskilled 20somethings in this small area. Plus, who wants to work for that little when your classes cost like $150/hour? Not worth it. If you are going to take out a ton of loans, go to Gnomon, they seem to offer the best combination of good quality education, connections, and excellent location. Ringling will be more expensive because the program is longer, but I have heard only excellent things about their animation program. Our animation department here is enormous in terms of students enrolled and as a result is very watered down, I don't think I would recommend it.

Last edited by Almaghest : 05 May 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Old 05 May 2010   #11
Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for!

Old 05 May 2010   #12
I would look into Animation Mentor. Regarding SCAD, I would say things have changed quite a bit since stooch graduated. They still have Malcolm Kesson and plenty of other talented professors, but these are VFX professors we're talking about, not animation.

Old 05 May 2010   #13
Just giving my 2 cents here to represent Georgia -
I worked with a bunch of people from SCAD and they're great. I went to UGA myself which doesn't have much of a reputation for CG, but I'm still gainfully employed and didn't originally intend to go into Feature Film VFX when I started my degree.

I also got here as a non-citizen and it worked out alright financially - the biggest help was already having an undergraduate degree and - by attending a research university - being able to apply for a graduate assistantship which covers most of the expenses.

Old 05 May 2010   #14
Originally Posted by MaxBickley: I would look into Animation Mentor. Regarding SCAD, I would say things have changed quite a bit since stooch graduated. They still have Malcolm Kesson and plenty of other talented professors, but these are VFX professors we're talking about, not animation.

haha. nice to hear that malcolm is still around and teaching, i loved his detailed work with the multiple colored markers when he explained renderman concepts and his no BS approach to teaching. was one of my most learning experiences. really made me connect trigonometry concepts with the guts of 3d.

and yeah incase you didnt notice i also recommended animation mentor. scad, whether it has changed or not, to me just doesnt make financial sense, unless money is no object. im sure if i was loaded, i would have been less critical of the school though.

Last edited by stooch : 05 May 2010 at 04:19 AM.

Old 05 May 2010   #15
OK thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Money is obviously a big issue for me, that's why I'm going for best value, in all aspects. However I was wondering if taking an online course such as Mentor have no real interaction with other students and peers. That is another reason I want to go to a good school, to see other people's techniques and work people who undergo the same process as I am, not just learning raw technique from professors.

Thread Closed share thread