CGTalk > Main Forums > Education
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Crob84
portfolio
Chad
Fort lee, USA

Military and wanting to get a degree in game & graphics design

so i am fresh to this area, i used to draw as a kid and still as a grown up love animation and video games and im in the process of trying to start school cuz i get out of the service in roughly 2 years, like i said i dont know much about it and was looking into ITT but ive heard a lot of bad things from ITT, and ive even tried to research where designers and artist in the industry went to school, or even where big name development companys are mainly getting there employees from and having no luck.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, i just have to go to a school that actually offers a degree program or else my G.I. Bill wont cover it, on my own i found ITT and Art Institute, if anyone has any personal opinions on these schools or any recommendations for other possible schools please share with me. Thanks everyone in advance

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
MPiland
portfolio
Mark Piland
Fort Worth, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crob84
so i am fresh to this area, i used to draw as a kid and still as a grown up love animation and video games and im in the process of trying to start school cuz i get out of the service in roughly 2 years, like i said i dont know much about it and was looking into ITT but ive heard a lot of bad things from ITT, and ive even tried to research where designers and artist in the industry went to school, or even where big name development companys are mainly getting there employees from and having no luck.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, i just have to go to a school that actually offers a degree program or else my G.I. Bill wont cover it, on my own i found ITT and Art Institute, if anyone has any personal opinions on these schools or any recommendations for other possible schools please share with me. Thanks everyone in advance

Please, please, PLEASE do not go to ITT or AI...they're just out for your money. I'm speaking from experience on the ITT part. I went there and now I'm paying a 34k loan with a degree that hasn't gotten me a job in the field I went for - Multimedia - or at all for the matter. The only job I had after was a Videoagraphy class which I did nothing but film graduations. No multimedia whatsoever. They actually cut my program after I graduated. That was like saying, "Hey, thanks for the money and dedication, but your degree is worth shit so we're just going to take it out all together." That school is a complete joke. Heck, the FBI investigated them years ago because their hiring rate was so low that they thought the school was a scam. AI, FROM WHAT I HEAR, is the same way. Look into specialized schools like Full Sail, Ringling, Van Art, SCAD, AAU, and many more. If you search these forums, I'm sure there's a thread on the schools already. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
Mekhit: I wouldn't be so quick to judge AI schools. There are bad AI and good AI schools as far as I know.

Also note that you don't need to go to a specialized school to get a job in the industry. You could also go the no school route which people have done, but since you have the GI Bill to cover your tuition, I think you should just go to school.

I'm sure you have these links, but I'll post it for you anyways:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/...on_and_Fees.pdf

First link should allow you to search for schools which the GI Bill covers, I think that was one of your concerns.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/...d-a-school.html

What is it that you wanted to do as a career? Were you more thinking on the technical side or more artistic?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
HughBowen
Art-a-holic

portfolio
Hugh%2BAdolph Bowen%2BBenin
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc
Olive%2BBranch%252CMS, Kenya

Send a message via MSN to HughBowen

Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSailAlien

That list tells me nothing about the programs there. It's just the name of schools and a link to the main page of that school. I know you put a lot of work into that, but it's not that useful...

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
HughBowen
Art-a-holic

portfolio
Hugh%2BAdolph Bowen%2BBenin
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc
Olive%2BBranch%252CMS, Kenya

Send a message via MSN to HughBowen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawl126
That list tells me nothing about the programs there. It's just the name of schools and a link to the main page of that school.

well its called research my friend all information someone gives you is biased you in the end have to make your own observation and decisions.List are all basically ways of informing you of your options. you seem intelligent enough to do research..right?

Last edited by HughBowen : 04-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSailAlien
well its called research my friend all information someone gives you is biased you in the end have to make your own observation and decisions

Like I said, it tells me nothing about the programs there...I'm sure you just got the list from a site too...

EDIT: Here is a bit of clarification as to why I said that. Do you know that the a bunch of the schools you posted are for Computer Science and they were placed in that list because they have strong computer graphics research? So are the schools in that list there because of their artistic program or technical program? Perhaps they have a program that synthesizes the two disciplines?

Last edited by gawl126 : 04-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
MPiland
portfolio
Mark Piland
Fort Worth, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawl126
Mekhit: I wouldn't be so quick to judge AI schools. There are bad AI and good AI schools as far as I know.

Also note that you don't need to go to a specialized school to get a job in the industry. You could also go the no school route which people have done, but since you have the GI Bill to cover your tuition, I think you should just go to school.

I'm sure you have these links, but I'll post it for you anyways:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/...on_and_Fees.pdf

First link should allow you to search for schools which the GI Bill covers, I think that was one of your concerns.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/...d-a-school.html

What is it that you wanted to do as a career? Were you more thinking on the technical side or more artistic?

You're right about AI, that's why I said I know from experience on the ITT side. The AI side was just more from doing research and what not. But I have heard of only a small handful of the AI's being good. The rest I heard were money pits. But, yes, you are correct that there are some good ones.

And, yes, he could do the self taught route, but as he stated above he wants to go to school since it's being paid for.

Last edited by MPiland : 04-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
dnashj33
Registered Nobody
portfolio
Don Nash
3D generalist/graphic artist
Riverside, USA

Send a message via MSN to dnashj33
As a veteran, myself (6yrs in the Army), and after spending a few quarters at an Art Institute, before I woke up and realized that I was pissing money down the drain...all the financial aid I could muster went toward nothing but tuition..and then I had to pay some out of pocket on top of that.

The Art Institute would love nothing more than to soak up your GI bill and leave you with nothing to pay your bills with...not even enough to pay for your books. What few people realize is that with the GI Bill and whatever additional service based college funding you have, it effectively disqualifies you for any "Need Based" Grants, like the Pell and your state supplementary grants.

You have to make it cover not only tuition, but all the other costs of living during your time at school. So, you still need to be frugal with your resources.

So, I personally say...Funk That!...either find a good Public College/Univ with an extensive Animation program or a private one, like SCAD that works hard to provide you with scholarships to attend. GI Bill or not...don't go to an ITT or AI, Westwood College period. They are commercial money pits. Can you get a decent education at AI, if you apply yourself...sure. Will you be broke while attending...probably. Will you have a massive debt load to deal with (even with the GI Bill, as you'll end up having to take out private student loans to pay your living costs)...absolutely!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
MrPositive
I got your freakin post

portfolio
C Positive
3D Art Instructor
Poland

Send a message via Yahoo to MrPositive
I have a couple of problems with this thread.

A) We have a list on this site that is far more comprehensive than just a list of schools. Each program lists the tuition, the student gallery page, the degree or certificate received, and all schools are looked over by myself and Leigh. If the school is NOT up to snuff, it is not added to the list (my own school is not even on the list, because we currently do not have a student gallery page - working on that still). Are there mistakes and schools that are missing or still need to be added? Of course. Saying that, currently we have run out of character space on the post and have not been able to update it properly. Hopefully, this will be remedied soon.

B) Secondly, I have taught CG art for both Purdue and AI for the past 10 years. It has been discussed countless times on these boards that AI's vary greatly depending on which you attend. We have plugged former AI student's work on cgtalk before. Would it be the first place I recommend? That is very difficult to answer, and depends on many factors including: location, budget, quality, and current instruction. Honestly, I have probably read a personal horror story post on every single school that teaches CG on this forum. Education is many times what you make of it, and many do not need it at all.

Not to mention that people are going back and forth on these schools and the OP hasn't even returned to the site.

Last edited by MrPositive : 04-08-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
R10k
Expert

Quote:
Not to mention that people are going back and forth on these schools and the OP hasn't even returned to the site.

You know it's Cgtalk when that happens.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Crob84
portfolio
Chad
Fort lee, USA

thanks everyone, i would love to do the self-taught route but i do have my G.I. Bill to use and i have to be taking atleast 12 credits a month for them to pay me every month so that is the situation.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread