Advice on some courses

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
Question Advice on some courses

Hello all. I'm an Australian high school student in my final year. So, I'm coming to the point in my school experience where I have to start thinking about what course I want to do in university. I'd like to be a concept artist or a games designer or something - something that would combine my love of telling stories with my love of art and games would be amazing.

As far as I can tell, I have a few options -

Bachelor of Fine Arts - Victorian College for the Arts

This looks like a fantastic course. It's 9am-6pm, five days a week, for 3 years. Intense. I have no doubt this would vastly improve my artistic abilities. However, I'm not sure it would be the best avenue into what I want to do. It's also incredibly competitive - 20-30 spots, for about 2000 applicants, determined through a submitted portfolio.

Bachelor of Fine Arts elsewhere

Not as intense or competitive - I'm not sure there would be the same benefits. Same doubts.

Bachelor of Information Technology (Game Design)

Most of the courses I've seen are kind of dodgy in some way or another. I'm not kidding, one of the description for the course starts off with:
Quote: This is an exciting area of IT, due to the popularity of systems such as Xbox, Playstation and GameCube.

. 'nuff said.

Bachelor of Multimedia and Digital Arts

As far as I can tell this is more gauged towards advertising kind of graphic design, and web design, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone give advice on which course would be the best to get into this industry? Should I focus on maximizing my skill as an artist? As a storyteller? As a programmer or a designer?

Thanks in advance.

04 April 2010
I don't have much advice to give, but I personally think that you don't need a specific "Game Design" degree to get into a game design position. Even if you go for that BFA, you can still get that minor in Computer Science too. You might also want to participate in online programming competitions if you want to improve your programming and problem solving skills.

Maybe you can try to research more programs before you decide. Look at student work and where the alumni work. If you can contact companies for more opinions on education, then that should help even more. Good luck!

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by cowtrix:
Bachelor of Fine Arts - Victorian College for the Arts

This looks like a fantastic course. It's 9am-6pm, five days a week, for 3 years. Intense. I have no doubt this would vastly improve my artistic abilities. However, I'm not sure it would be the best avenue into what I want to do. It's also incredibly competitive - 20-30 spots, for about 2000 applicants, determined through a submitted portfolio.

9am-6pm, 5 days a week? So that's 45 credits a semester for 3 years?

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: 9am-6pm, 5 days a week? So that's 45 credits a semester for 3 years?

It doesn't work in a credit system.

04 April 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread