Art-a-holic

portfolio
Hugh%2BAdolph Bowen%2BBenin
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc
Olive%2BBranch%252CMS, Kenya

Send a message via MSN to HughBowen
PhD in Computer Animation?

So I was searching and seems that only 1 school in the world has a PHD in computer animation and thats BourneMouth University in the UK.(Im not looking to get a PHD but would be great to get one after my masters)Does anyone know if this is the only one still?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
graphic/interactive designer/aspiring animator
Houston, USA

Send a message via AIM to fig
Texas A&M offers a PhD through their Visualization Science program (which isn't specifically only Computer Animation but is very related).

http://vvvvvv.viz.tamu.edu/

Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
There's really no specific PhD in computer animation. Most research done in computer animation is normally done by those with a computer science background. Even at Texas A&M you are required to have some kind of computer science background to even apply to the program. Other programs which do a lot of heavy duty computer graphics research include Carnegie Mellon University, Cornell University, Stanford University, University of Washington, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, etc. There's a ton of computer science programs out there that do tons of research in computer animation, but I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
dax3d
Know-it-All

Dax
Creature FX TD
Framestore
United Kingdom

What is your career goal? I'm curious about the PHD route. I don't think I've met anyone with a Masters let alone the PHD. Just curious so maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
HughBowen
Art-a-holic

portfolio
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc

well It a long time I even get a masters.Im sure by then the industry will have grown and be to much competition so might have to

Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
MrPositive
I got your freakin post

portfolio
C Positive
3D Art Instructor
Poland

Send a message via Yahoo to MrPositive
There are tons of Master's degrees in Computer Animation. We have had one for 10 years and there are 3 more within 50 miles of here. We can debate all day on the merits of needing it, but try teaching at the collegiate level full time (in the US at least) without one.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
dax3d
Know-it-All

Dax
Creature FX TD
Framestore
United Kingdom

I think you would want to spend your time actually working on your stuff. Getting better, practicing. Having a better paper degree won't really help. Bachelor's for sure, but after that, I don't know if it would help.

Is there anything you specifically want to do? Games/film? Animation? FX?

Ah just saw Mr. Positive's post. Yes I'd agree about that for sure. Interested in teaching now myself after Tron, but need the degree :/

Last edited by dax3d : 03-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

It sounds like he was in the process of going back to school to get his Masters based upon his first post and he was just asking if there were any other PhD computer animation program besides the one at Bournemouth University in the UK.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
HughBowen
Art-a-holic

portfolio
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc

o no no Im going for my BS just considering if I want to pursue a PHD in Computer Animation after my masters in Game Design or a related field. Id be called a comp animation doctor lol. Just think its cool. I just love learning and doing projects alot so yea.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
MrPositive
I got your freakin post

portfolio
C Positive
3D Art Instructor
Poland

Send a message via Yahoo to MrPositive
Seriously, the only reason you'd ever get a PhD in this field is to be a Tenured Professor for the rest of your career. If that's what you want, then go for it!

Last edited by MrPositive : 03-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #11
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSailAlien
o no no Im going for my BS just considering if I want to pursue a PHD in Computer Animation after my masters in Game Design or a related field. Id be called a comp animation doctor lol. Just think its cool. I just love learning and doing projects alot so yea.

A PhD is good if you want to work in a research department or work at a University. A PhD doesn't mean you're restricted to certain positions, it just opens up a few new ones which are more research oriented.

As a Professor, you have the opportunity to travel to other Universities to give talks and to work with other researchers. Which is all paid for thanks to research grants (which you have to apply for). You work on researching new techniques, work on several projects, publish papers, and of course teach classes. I was a research assistant and saw this first hand. The Professor I worked with was out of the country or in another state at least every month giving talks at Universities and working with other researchers. He also gave talks at conferences about the research we were working on. He's basically paid to research and teach what he is most interested in and has a ton of knowledge in.

I think you should pursue that graduate degree only if you are sure you have good reasons to. Here are links to last year's SIGGRAPH with people who presented stuff about character animation:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/sessi...pe=papers&id=41
http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/sessi...pe=papers&id=48

Here are some stuff centered around games:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/sessi...apers/index.php

Take note that most, if not all, researchers are Professors in computer science with students who also are pursuing a graduate degree in computer science. If you're not going for a computer science degree to study the technical aspects of animation, then it might be a waste of time for you.

Last edited by gawl126 : 03-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
HughBowen
Art-a-holic

portfolio
Technical Artist
Tiphsah,Inc

sounds like a great retirement plan ^_^

Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

It does sound good, but there's always a bad side to things. And you're not exactly pursuing that technical degree, so it might be a bad idea in your case. Not trying to discourage you in any way, but going for a PhD is a big thing.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
cgforliving
Veteran
-
USA

If you want to get a good solid job at one of the big studios, Master's or PHD is a safer route. I have seen tons of people with advanced degrees from prestigious schools at the big studios. Usually the smaller companies and some sweat-shops (unfortunately there are many) may not care what degree you have as they are more focussed towards a shorter-term goal, but larger studios tend to hire people for longer term as they are more research oriented.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgforliving
If you want to get a good solid job at one of the big studios, Master's or PHD is a safer route. I have seen tons of people with advanced degrees from prestigious schools at the big studios. Usually the smaller companies and some sweat-shops (unfortunately there are many) may not care what degree you have as they are more focussed towards a shorter-term goal, but larger studios tend to hire people for longer term as they are more research oriented.

having a masters or phd in animation isn't a safer route to getting a solid job at any big or small studio. unless maybe if it's geared towards the more technical side of things, but even for that it's still not a guarantee...say if your grades were all just borderline passing.

Thread Closed share thread