CGTalk > Main Forums > Education
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
Bullit
Lord of the posts

The faster the people start realizing education is spending money(resources) the better. Then we will have a competitive market with many options and pressure in providers instead of students.
Until then the whole thing will be unsustainable like it is today and probably in next 5 years.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
graphic/interactive designer/aspiring animator
Houston, USA

Send a message via AIM to fig
A lot of it is really just common sense too. Don't go get a degree that's going to put you $100,000 into debt if you're going to graduate and make $40k. It's even worse when it comes to graduate school, I know of people that have gotten $60,000 Masters degrees to do social work and make $30k...it just isn't logical.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
NitroLiq
Frequenter
Pete Ankelein
Sr. Creative Developer
USA

That's what's held me back from going back to school. Through self-teaching, I've managed to make a decent career with a good salary in the web world. If I were to go back to school for the official design, fine arts, etc. degree....I'd most likely be doing the same thing I'm doing now...I'd just have a very expensive piece of paper to show off. If I wanted to go back to school for a total career change—let's say I want to be a character animator—I'd expect my first gig out of school would be about half or less than what I'm making now. The current state of education is a scary scenario and I can see it definitely scaring some people off. I think Leigh really summed it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
I also think it's tragic that people have to go into such enormous debt in order to get an education - considering it's in a country's best interests to have intelligent, educated people, you'd think that education available to all would be a priority.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
Houston, USA

That's actually exactly what I'm doing, making the jump from designer to character animator I'm planning to go freelance so I can more conveniently manage school and work, it is going to be a bit tough but if I can manage my freelance design work well I can make as much or more than I do at my day job currently. We shall see...

Old 03-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
leptonish
portfolio
Tiny Elf
USA

. . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by leptonish : 05-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #21
leptonish
portfolio
Tiny Elf
USA

. . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by leptonish : 05-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
NitroLiq
Frequenter
Pete Ankelein
Sr. Creative Developer
USA

I went to Full Sail back in the early 90s for their audio engineering course (back when they were only an audio/video school) with a Pell grant and Stafford loan...I think the tuition at the time was around $16,500 or so—still took me ten years to pay off. It's really a rough time for education for sure and prospective students almost need to have their career track figured out beforehand unless they have money to burn.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Student aid overhaul passes House

Some good news:

LA Times Article: Student aid overhaul passes House
Quote:
The federal government is moving toward the most sweeping overhaul of college financial aid in decades.

The House of Representatives voted for the measure as part of its passage of healthcare legislation Sunday.

Under the proposal, private lenders would no longer make federally subsidized student loans. Instead, the government would make all such loans itself, instead of only some as it does now.

Eliminating the middleman would save the government an estimated $61 billion over the next decade. About $36 billion of that would be used to increase so-called Pell grants for lower-income students. The legislation also allocates $2.5 billion to historically black colleges, $2 billion to community colleges and at least $10 billion to reduce the federal deficit.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
leptonish
portfolio
Tiny Elf
USA

2 minute video on how much to borrow for an education and still have manageable debt

Basically, it's saying that the total debt for your education should not be more than the expected starting salary of the first job.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak

"Eliminating the middleman would save the government an estimated $61 billion over the next decade. About $36 billion of that would be used to increase so-called Pell grants for lower-income students. The legislation also allocates $2.5 billion to historically black colleges, $2 billion to community colleges and at least $10 billion to reduce the federal deficit. "

Anyone who understands how the US Fed Gov works will laugh at the use of "would" versus could, might or is projected or estimated etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #26
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fig
That's actually exactly what I'm doing, making the jump from designer to character animator I'm planning to go freelance so I can more conveniently manage school and work, it is going to be a bit tough but if I can manage my freelance design work well I can make as much or more than I do at my day job currently. We shall see...

I'm in progress on doing the exact same thing. I have a fairly good base of print design and interactive media client that I retain with the expectation of shifting entirely into CG character dev and animation. Although, I have been "freelancing" for some 15 years now. Odd how time flies.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #27
fig
designer of stuff...
Chris F
Houston, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama
"Eliminating the middleman would save the government an estimated $61 billion over the next decade. About $36 billion of that would be used to increase so-called Pell grants for lower-income students. The legislation also allocates $2.5 billion to historically black colleges, $2 billion to community colleges and at least $10 billion to reduce the federal deficit. "

Anyone who understands how the US Fed Gov works will laugh at the use of "would" versus could, might or is projected or estimated etc.

More fascinating to me is that the plan is to remove student loans from the private sector (causing thousands to lose their jobs) so they can then charge the same interest rates and redistribute the profits as they see fit. But I won't get into the politics of it

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig
More fascinating to me is that the plan is to remove student loans from the private sector (causing thousands to lose their jobs) so they can then charge the same interest rates and redistribute the profits as they see fit. But I won't get into the politics of it

Yes, I was also tempted to mention it but chose not to. The "good" news is that the public sector will now have to gear up with new "federal" personnel to handle the new work load. The profits skimmed from the transactions are "intended" to support the new health care legislation.

Road to hell laced with good intentions with fearless leader on the standup comedian circuit channeling Bill Cosby...

Last edited by Tama : 04-02-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread