Please Help Me!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2010   #16
I agree, if you don't have funds for school then start learning on your own. If you do, you can still learn on your own and/or go to school. I also agree that your portfolio is what will land you the job. I did mention somewhere in the beginning that he can learn these things on his own. I don't think I even mentioned that he has to go to school, but the subject of a certain school did come up so I was only helping out. I only mentioned that he needs to go to school if he wants to qualify for an internship.

Dedication will get you somewhere of course. Heck, look at the creator of Facebook. He's only 25 and he dropped out of college.

Old 03 March 2010   #17
Just to clarify, I wasn't responding to your posts, but rather to a heavily prevalent attitude on these forums. I find it disturbing how quickly people are willing to rush into debt or to convince others to do the same.

Old 03 March 2010   #18
Thanks for all the advice! But where do I start in learning on my own? Are there any specific books and DVD's you guys suggest for someone who is just starting from scratch?

Last edited by SenseofTouch : 03 March 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old 03 March 2010   #19
I think leigh's specialty is in texturing? Maybe she can point you in the right direction.

Old 03 March 2010   #20
Originally Posted by SenseofTouch: Thanks for all the advice! But where do I start in learning on my own? Are there any specific books and DVD's you guys suggest for someone who is just starting from scratch?

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/
and/or
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...e-Tutorials-All

Old 03 March 2010   #21
Gnomon DVD's can be pricey but great for 3D and okay for 2D traditional art training.

Cost was the whole reason I suggested both the best community college and the one of best state schools for Animation/3D in your area.
Your options of $17/unit per class for DeAnza College + misc fees, or $4500/year in-state tuition for SJSU - add some Gnomon DVD's on top of that and you're looking at quite a bargain compared to some of those pricier options out there.

Old 03 March 2010   #22
Originally Posted by forsakendreams: Gnomon DVD's can be pricey but great for 3D and okay for 2D traditional art training.

Cost was the whole reason I suggested both the best community college and the one of best state schools for Animation/3D in your area.
Your options of $17/unit per class for DeAnza College + misc fees, or $4500/year in-state tuition for SJSU - add some Gnomon DVD's on top of that and you're looking at quite a bargain compared to some of those pricier options out there.

Combine that with Cal Grants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Grant

Last edited by gawl126 : 03 March 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old 03 March 2010   #23
Yeah, I'm actually looking for good DVD's on 2D traditional art atm\

EDIT: What do you guys think of these http://www.artacademy.com/Workshops%20Index%20Page.html

Last edited by SenseofTouch : 03 March 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Old 03 March 2010   #24
Originally Posted by forsakendreams: Gnomon DVD's can be pricey but great for 3D and okay for 2D traditional art training.

Sorry to go off course here, but when you say $17 per unit, are you talking credits when you say unit?

Old 03 March 2010   #25
Originally Posted by Animasta: Sorry to go off course here, but when you say $17 per unit, are you talking credits when you say unit?

I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. De Anza's beginning drawing class is 3 units according to their schedule.

Originally Posted by SenseofTouch: Yeah, I'm actually looking for good DVD's on 2D traditional art atm\

EDIT: What do you guys think of these http://www.artacademy.com/Workshops%20Index%20Page.html

I would probably go with a community college class instead of buying those instructional dvds for drawing. It will be a lot cheaper for you.

Old 03 March 2010   #26
Ok, thanks!

Old 03 March 2010   #27
Many of the most informative classes I took in college were Gnomon DVDs in the comfort of my home.

Old 03 March 2010   #28
Originally Posted by SenseofTouch: Ok, thanks!

It would be best to get opinions from more people first before deciding and maybe checking previews.

Old 03 March 2010   #29
There is also conceptart.org, an online community of artists working on improving traditional art skills. A lot of free information as well.

Old 03 March 2010   #30
Originally Posted by leigh: Mate, seriously, if you can't afford it - don't do it. There is simply no point in going into heavy debt to get an education when you can go the self-taught route. Sure, self teaching requires discipline and dedication, but there is absolutely nothing stopping you but yourself. I honestly don't understand why people constantly push the "you must get a degree" thing onto people if they cannot afford education easily. Do you really want to end up drowning in debt when you could learn this stuff without going to a college? Think about it. Education is great for those that can comfortably afford it; to everyone else I'd suggest learning on your own. It is true that most studios only take interns from schools, but internships are not the only way to break into the industry. A good portfolio is just as effective.

And for what it's worth, I have no degrees. I originally come from a shitty third world country where there were no decent CG courses. I'm 99% self-taught, I started working in the field six months after opening a 3D package for the first time, and I've worked at some of the top studios in the visual effects industry since then. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you're dedicated enough and you really push yourself, you can do anything you want. And the best part is that I never had to deal with any debt from any massively over-priced courses. Although, funnily enough, I am now preparing to start a degree in a totally unrelated field simply for the hell of it. But I'm paying for it with cash upfront.

I should agree with that. I am self tough too, I would have loved to go to school but I couldn't afford it. And you know what, with what I know now, even if I could afford it, I would still choose self learning because of the sheer satisfaction I get from figuring it all out on my own.

On a side note, I don't think South Africa is a shitty third world country, they're hosting the world cup this summer, you know.

Thread Closed share thread