Questions for Gnomon Grads/Current students

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2010   #1
Questions for Gnomon Grads/Current students

I am thinking about applying to Gnomon when I graduate high school. I am also planning on doing their 2 year full time program, I also live in Missouri so I would have to move down there. I was wanting to know what you guys think about this school, I have a couple questions:

1. How did you like it there? What was your average day like when you went to school down there? Do you think the money you spent on the school was/is worth it?

2. What were the teachers like? Were they more just like talking robots who just knew the software and didn't actually have much experience?

3. How much actual pencil on paper drawing was there to do?

4. What was it like having to be full time in school? Did you have a part time job? How did you cope with the other financial needs other than tuition fees?

5. How far away did you live from the actual school? How much was rent on an apartment down there?

That is all, if you Gnomonians (sp? lol) could leave your feedback that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03 March 2010   #2
I highly suggest you first pursue an art degree before heading off to Gnomon. The idea of jumping from high school to Gnomon made me very curious about those who actually attended and graduated from there. I went on linkedin to search for people who graduated from there and most have graduated with some kind of art or engineering degree. Not to say that there doesn't exist people who have done what you plan on doing, but I only came across 3 of the 40 people I checked. In my opinion, I think Gnomon is more of a continuing school for professional studies.

Also thought I'd put here directly from the Gnomon site:

"This program is intended for those who have a background in visual or traditional art and desire a career as a digital artist in the game, broadcast or film industries."

I know this response isn't what you wanted, but I thought I'd bring some facts to light in case you weren't aware of them. Good luck with your decision and may your passion drive you forward towards your goal!

Old 03 March 2010   #3
Originally Posted by gawl126: I highly suggest you first pursue an art degree before heading off to Gnomon. The idea of jumping from high school to Gnomon made me very curious about those who actually attended and graduated from there. I went on linkedin to search for people who graduated from there and most have graduated with some kind of art or engineering degree. Not to say that there doesn't exist people who have done what you plan on doing, but I only came across 3 of the 40 people I checked. In my opinion, I think Gnomon is more of a continuing school for professional studies.

Also thought I'd put here directly from the Gnomon site:

"This program is intended for those who have a background in visual or traditional art and desire a career as a digital artist in the game, broadcast or film industries."

I know this response isn't what you wanted, but I thought I'd bring some facts to light in case you weren't aware of them. Good luck with your decision and may your passion drive you forward towards your goal!

I probably should have also added that I am pretty knowledgeable of the digital arts, such as After Effects, Photoshop, and I am still in the process of learning Maya. Do you think it would be possible to jump straight into Gnomon after high school if I was very excelled in these fields? (Am a sophomore right now, and I am only improving each day.) And what engineering degree did you see them graduate with?

Old 03 March 2010   #4
Smile

weres y our portfolio, no portfolio no gnomon, send me a link.

Old 03 March 2010   #5
You need a strong foundation in traditional art before you go to Gnomon. You can either get a degree in art at a state school, go to a community college and take a year or two's worth of classes, or enroll in Gnomon's entertainment design program and then the certificate program.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 03 March 2010   #6
Originally Posted by ShogunWarrior: weres y our portfolio, no portfolio no gnomon, send me a link.

Haha unfortunately I don't have any portfolio even near halfway completion. I am not going to be signing up for Gnomon for another 2-3 years and I am just trying to do some in depth research on schools. Besides, 2-3 years is a huge gap to learn a lot by then, so even if I did have a portfolio as of right now, it wouldn't reflect what my skills are GOING to be by the time I actually get out of high school.

Old 03 March 2010   #7
Originally Posted by SanjayChand: You need a strong foundation in traditional art before you go to Gnomon. You can either get a degree in art at a state school, go to a community college and take a year or two's worth of classes, or enroll in Gnomon's entertainment design program and then the certificate program.

Ok thank you a lot for clearing this up, what would you personally suggest if I had the money to go to the 3 year program? Do you think it would be worth it to actually go into the 3 year program at Gnomon or go into a different school to get the traditional art skills?

Old 03 March 2010   #8
Originally Posted by Jaibok: Ok thank you a lot for clearing this up, what would you personally suggest if I had the money to go to the 3 year program? Do you think it would be worth it to actually go into the 3 year program at Gnomon or go into a different school to get the traditional art skills?

I was in the same boat as you jaibok about a year ago. I decided to put gnomon on hold because i felt my traditional art was not sufficient(in my eyes). So I've been taking a crap ton of art classes at a community college and have gotten much better. The funny thing is that now all i want to do is keep getting better at traditional art. Looking back I am glad I did not go then. I'd love to go there though, if i had the money I would in a heartbeat, but sometimes you just got to really think it over. good luckk

Old 03 March 2010   #9
Originally Posted by Jaibok: Ok thank you a lot for clearing this up, what would you personally suggest if I had the money to go to the 3 year program? Do you think it would be worth it to actually go into the 3 year program at Gnomon or go into a different school to get the traditional art skills?

I personally got a degree in Art and then went to Gnomon. So 4 years + another 2. Many public univesities offer great art programs and are much cheaper than art schools, plus you get a degree.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 03 March 2010   #10
Honestly, when i left high school i wasn't old enough to have made a good enough decision. I thought I knew everything and I thought I was way more advanced than my peers. I was accepted in Gnomon no problem, and the people there are really friendly and nice, but as everyone has stated already I highly suggest you get your degree first. You may think you like art, but you really need to pin point where in art you belong. Gnomon will limit you. There program is focused primarily on modelling, and you might not be into that after spending the first 3 months doing nothing but hardcore modelling.

Had I the choice to do it all again, I would start at state school or community college for two years and get my foundation and foot in the door. If in that period of time you are offered internship's than you know your headed down the right path. After those two years, you should have the knowledge to make the decision to transfer to a more advanced school specializing in arts. The reason why I say State school first is because all art schools have similar programs to build foundational skills, and you can get that same experience at a much less expensive cost...

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you well in your decision. post a link to your portfolio later and we can help, MAKE SURE TO HAVE LOTS OF OBSERVATIONAL DRAWINGS! Of the kids that I've seen here at SVA, I can say it's not as nerve racking as it seems because I see poor portfolio's every day..... Good luck!

Currently Interning in Sunny Santa Monica
Portfolio

Old 03 March 2010   #11
Jaibok, follow the advice given here

Jaibok, my daughter attended Gnomon's 9 week intensive Maya program and took some additional courses while on coop. I only partially agree with the advice here.

First, I fully agree that you should get a foundation art program at another school first. You will get the strong drawing and color theory and design skills needed for Gnomon. I wouldn't recommend Gnomon right have high school.Again, the fact that you have strong digital skills isn't the issue. You should have strong drawing and foundation skills. Having good writing and reading skills, that a college program should provide, won't hurt you in the long run. My daughter has had to read scripts of movies and plays in order to recommend what should be in the trailers. This does require good reading skills.

Let me be clear about this. Gnomon does offer foundation training as part of their entertainment design program. However, I strongly believe that it isn't enough. IN addition, I believe that getting a college degree, together with decent training in reading and writing, will be very helpful and important in the future. There is a thread here about the need to get a college degree in animation. It shows a variety of opinions, and you should read it.

You can find the thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=283&t=793383

Secondly, although I think Gnomon was very modeling driven, they have substantially altered their curriculum to include other concentrations in the animation pipeline. These are now:

1.modeling and texturing
2. character animation
3. Visual Effects
4. and 3d General,which is a broad based approach to all the other three disciplines.

Last edited by taxguy : 03 March 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Old 03 March 2010   #12
Thank you everyone for such in depth replies, I appreciate it very, very much . So basically what you guys are saying is, I should get my degree in art first THEN go to the 3 year program? Or go into the two year program? I was thinking why not just got into their 3 year program, instead of getting a degree beforehand? What do you guys think? I would hate to think that their 3 year program is for nothing =/

Old 03 March 2010   #13
Originally Posted by Jaibok: Thank you everyone for such in depth replies, I appreciate it very, very much . So basically what you guys are saying is, I should get my degree in art first THEN go to the 3 year program? Or go into the two year program? I was thinking why not just got into their 3 year program, instead of getting a degree beforehand? What do you guys think? I would hate to think that their 3 year program is for nothing =/

Yes, get your degree first then go to the 3 year program. I know there are some here that swear by the notion of "you don't need a degree, just work on your demo reel", but I think you should have a degree to at least have something to fall back on. And like others have said, you need strong foundational skills which you will get by pursuing that 4 year university degree. Just to repeat myself, I think Gnomon is more of a continuing or finishing school for those who already have developed a good base of skills through their prior studies.

Old 03 March 2010   #14
The three year program contains a few classes that art schools offer and would probably be redundant for a graduate. (Unless Art History classes are worth 20k to you)

Old 03 March 2010   #15
Originally Posted by gawl126: Yes, get your degree first then go to the 3 year program. I know there are some here that swear by the notion of "you don't need a degree, just work on your demo reel", but I think you should have a degree to at least have something to fall back on. And like others have said, you need strong foundational skills which you will get by pursuing that 4 year university degree. Just to repeat myself, I think Gnomon is more of a continuing or finishing school for those who already have developed a good base of skills through their prior studies.

Wait so you are saying i should get my MASTERS and THEN go to Gnomon? I thought the Bachelor would be fine...

Thread Closed share thread