Gnomon is now $66,000 for their two year program

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
Eem, please post constructively or don't post at all.

03 March 2010
Some companies do have discounts with Gnomon

ON the Gnomon site, they note that some companies have discounts/subsidies with Gnomon. If you can get a list of these companies and work for them, you might be able to take Gnomon courses at a substantially reduced cost.

03 March 2010
is Gnomon too expensive for you?
then go to Full Sail University. its 21 months, you get a Bachelor of Science and it only costs 75 thousand dollars!

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by SergiFani: is Gnomon too expensive for you?
then go to Full Sail University. its 21 months, you get a Bachelor of Science and it only costs 75 thousand dollars!

I can't tell if you're serious or not

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by taxguy: ON the Gnomon site, they note that some companies have discounts/subsidies with Gnomon. If you can get a list of these companies and work for them, you might be able to take Gnomon courses at a substantially reduced cost.

Isn't that a catch 22? In order to work for those companies, you would most likely need the training that the Gnomon courses would provide in order to be hired. Of course once you're in you'll be golden.

03 March 2010
It is all relative.
Hire a decent 3d guy for a year and you will pay 100,000 bucks. For an extra 50,000 he or she will probably come to your house. For 66,000 you get a range of top people for 2 years, no contest there. Judging by the exceptional quality of gnomon and their study material I would venture to say the course would be VERY good. No I don't work for them.

Look, if you want to learn for free go to the link on my siggy. You will be out in the cold on your own though and will need to be very determined. You will probably end up buying allot of the gnomon learning material too .

Everything is expensive if you don't look at or value what you get. I would be very wary of observations by people who have no idea what this vocation is.

03 March 2010
Wow..back from 94-97, 60K got you a 3 year program at Art Center and an accredited bachelors degree.

Sign of the times I guess. Most you can hope for is to go massively in debt in today's dollars and hope the government inflates away its own debts with inflation thus, reducing your own personal burden since you will be living in an inflated world but paying of smaller pre-inflated monetary amounts. The way things are looking with our national debt that scenario looks very likely. Governments always inflate, so its pretty much a sure thing.

My 94-97 Art Center debt doesn't look so bad compared to 2010 wages. I'm sure your 2010 debt wont look so bad in 2020

03 March 2010
How does an entry-mid level position pay on average? I'd hate to come out with a massive debt making 35k/year.

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: How does an entry-mid level position pay on average? I'd hate to come out with a massive debt making 35k/year.

This heavily depends on where the job is located, and who youre working for (in addition to your own experience of course) which makes it very hard to determine an average.

But as a quick reality check, not everyone who goes to Gnomon ends up working for a big studio. I know a couple guys who went there, and are good artists, but are earning in the 40-50k range here in LA. and thats not good wages for around here...

03 March 2010
..Deleted..

Last edited by KillahPriest : 03 March 2010 at 10:11 PM.

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: I'm aware it doesn't guarantee you anything and that everything is subjective, but I was just curious what some of you guys started out making.

In the kind words of leigh:

Originally Posted by leigh: Please note that we do not allow salary discussions on this site. Cheers.

03 March 2010
Yes no wage discussions please.

03 March 2010
maybe you can find more info at
http://www.vfxwages.com/

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by earwax69: Come on, get a software license or even an educational version, open the manual and start the hard work. How do you think those teachers learned?

If you cant learn by yourself, you are in the wrong field.

For the record, you can't purchase educational software unless you can prove that you're attending school. Thus, barring the few companies that still offer personal learning editions, you can't use educational licenses to teach yourself unless you want to enroll somewhere for at least a semester.

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by earwax69: Come on, get a software license or even an educational version, open the manual and start the hard work. How do you think those teachers learned?

If you cant learn by yourself, you are in the wrong field.

If you think thatīs the way everyone should go, then there would be no need for such schools anymore. It is not a wise advice youīre given here. You canīt lern all the skills just by your own, you allways need someone to help you to improve your skills. Going to a school like Gnomon is probably one of the best path you can pick.

Sure, there are also other alternatives where you can learn the basics, but there are also a lot places out there where you can waste a lot of your expansive time too. Gnomon wont waste your expansive time for sure. At Gnomon you learn fast, you will be able to produce high quality stuff in a very differnt way and environment.

66K$ isnīt cheap, there youīre right, but itīs definite worth the money.
You canīt contest the validity of Gnomon if you never have been there.

Thread Closed share thread