Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #16
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

You will be lucky to live on 10K per year.

I would be surprised if you can live on only 10K per year. If you count parking, gas or bus service, food, utilities, housing, internet, insurance and maybe some travel back home once in a while, you need to budget closer to 15K per year for costs outside of Gnomon.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #17
dpendleton
Expert
portfolio
Douglas Pendleton
Washington, US

Send a message via Yahoo to dpendleton
Killah Priest look into the Dave school man as I mentioned earlier they have free room and board but that is if you apply before March ends. All you need is food and transportation.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

It's a little sad to see that you have to be extremely rich or extremely indebted to get a good cg education in the US.

My school is 7k euros/year and it's already way more than most people can afford here. But the difference isn't as skewed...

Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

I bet you a dozen families in some third world country could live off that tuition for a year.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
danshewan
Disposable antihero

portfolio
Dan Shewan
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem
I bet you a dozen families in some third world country could live off that tuition for a year.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Anyways, there's a reason that Gnomon grads always land gigs at the best studios - because the quality of the tuition and the specifics of their curriculum is tailored to suit real production environments and situations. Gnomon is easily one of the most respected and well-positioned schools in North America, and is probably one of, if not the best, CG instructional institutions in the world. Take a look at the reels of recent graduates alongside those of other schools, and ask yourself why the work is consistently top-quality. Sure, it's expensive, and not everyone will be able to attend - that's just tough shit, I'm afraid.

So they don't offer degrees for that price - probably because they know that the value of a piece of paper is virtually nil in this industry. If you're set on attaining a degree, there are a plethora of other schools to go to. You want the best CG education, go to Gnomon. Even their DVD series has taught me more than anything I could have learned at a lesser institution because of the quality of the content, and the skill and experience of their tutors.

There are other means to learn the necessary skills and succeed if you're driven enough.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
manofthunder
Veteran
portfolio
Victor S.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshewan
Anyways, there's a reason that Gnomon grads always land gigs at the best studios - because the quality of the tuition and the specifics of their curriculum is tailored to suit real production environments and situations. Gnomon is easily one of the most respected and well-positioned schools in North America, and is probably one of, if not the best, CG instructional institutions in the world. Take a look at the reels of recent graduates alongside those of other schools, and ask yourself why the work is consistently top-quality. Sure, it's expensive, and not everyone will be able to attend - that's just tough shit, I'm afraid.

So they don't offer degrees for that price - probably because they know that the value of a piece of paper is virtually nil in this industry. If you're set on attaining a degree, there are a plethora of other schools to go to. You want the best CG education, go to Gnomon. Even their DVD series has taught me more than anything I could have learned at a lesser institution because of the quality of the content, and the skill and experience of their tutors.

There are other means to learn the necessary skills and succeed if you're driven enough.

I would agree with you. Gnomon has one of the best all around CG education one can find, except if you want to be an animator. For learning only animation, there are a lot of other schools with far better education for a lot less money that you can choose.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Come on, get a software license or even an educational version, open the manual and start the hard work. How do you think those teachers learned?

If you cant learn by yourself, you are in the wrong field.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

There are less expensive, equivalent routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofthunder
I would agree with you. Gnomon has one of the best all around CG education one can find, except if you want to be an animator. For learning only animation, there are a lot of other schools with far better education for a lot less money that you can choose.

I would have agreed,but I haven't seen the changes that Gnomon has made to their Character Animation offerings that is now two full years in duration.

If you filter in the cost that Gnomon charges for its three year digital production- entertainment design program, which is $81,000,however, I am beginning to feel that there are some good, less expensive alternatives such as SCAD with scholarships, Animation Mentor etc. Even Ringling will waive all Gen eds for those with a previous bachelor's degree. Moreover, the credits for these other programs will transfer to any other accredited school if necessary, unlike that of Gnomon.

Bottom line: I always felt that Gnomon was a good deal and provided top quality training. I was certainly a fanboy when I saw what they accomplished for my daughter. However, with the current pricing, I think that there may be better alternatives for the money, especially for those that would have to take out loans anyway.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
KillahPriest
Frequenter
portfolio
Mike Ulloa
New York, US

I just checked my credit report and am 15k im debt from my current school that I'm graduating from in May. I feel like Gnomon would be the best environment for me to be in as far as instructors and location, but I'd have to take out maybe 85k bringing my total debt to 100k....in an art field... lol. I might as well have been a doctor.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillahPriest
I just checked my credit report and am 15k im debt from my current school that I'm graduating from in May. I feel like Gnomon would be the best environment for me to be in as far as instructors and location, but I'd have to take out maybe 85k bringing my total debt to 100k....in an art field... lol. I might as well have been a doctor.

It's really up to you whether you think that paying that much to attend Gnomon is worth it. Just don't forget that going there doesn't necessarily guarantee that you'll get a job. There will also be other people attending Gnomon with similar goals.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
KillahPriest
Frequenter
portfolio
Mike Ulloa
New York, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawl126
It's really up to you whether you think that paying that much to attend Gnomon is worth it. Just don't forget that going there doesn't necessarily guarantee that you'll get a job. There will also be other people attending Gnomon with similar goals.

Well I think everyone attending will have the same goal - to get a job / improve.

I understand I could stay where I am now and work a retail job after graduating while working on my reel at home, but I don't want it to be secondary. I feel like my progress would be slower if it was something I did after work and alone rather than if I was surrounded by people who want to improve just as much as I do and in (arguably) the best school for doing so.

Last edited by KillahPriest : 03-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #27
Chris25
Chris
USA

I was planning on going to Gnomon as well but f--- me if California is ever going to get out of it's financial crisis. I'd be surprised if there is any part of the state left in five years. I swear half of everyone here seems to be living off the state, exaggerating of course but would not surprise me.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #28
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to _vine_
Anyone know if Gnomon has any form of job placement assistance and what kind of job placement percentages they post, if any? $66-81,000 is a lot easier to swallow if you know you have pretty decent prospects for finding work after school. I graduated art school with only $10k in debt and found it tough to pay the bills for the first couple years after starting to work.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #29
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vine_
Anyone know if Gnomon has any form of job placement assistance and what kind of job placement percentages they post, if any? $66-81,000 is a lot easier to swallow if you know you have pretty decent prospects for finding work after school. I graduated art school with only $10k in debt and found it tough to pay the bills for the first couple years after starting to work.

The ads above claim a job placement rate at 90% within the first 3 months. But does that rate include those who were already working in the industry? I don't think it's uncommon for industry professionals to still take classes while they work, right? Aren't there those who get time off from their company to continue their studies?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #30
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshewan
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

We're all on the same circle, pyramids are temporary illusion.

Thread Closed share thread