Gnomon is now $66,000 for their two year program

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2010   #1
Gnomon is now $66,000 for their two year program

To my surprise, Gnomon School of Visual Effects raised their tuition for their previously comparable computer graphics by a whopping $20,000. It is now $66,000, which does NOT count room, board, parking, supplies etc.

What has changed is that the new program is called Digital Production for Entertainment. It consists of two full years, instead of the previous 7 quarters, and consists of four different tracks:

1. Modeling and Texturing
2. Character Animation
3. Visual Effects Animation
4. 3d Generalist

They also have a combined Digital Productions and Entertainment design program for three years totaling a whopping $81,000.. Even their 9 week Maya intensive program went up from $9,000 to $10,675.

The advantage is that if you want to specialize in one of these areas, you can. However, I am beginning to wonder if getting a three year program at SCAD or Ringling would be the better deal now, especially with more scholarship money available from these institutions. Just a heads up for everyone interested in Gnomon.

Last edited by taxguy : 03 March 2010 at 04:07 AM.

Old 03 March 2010   #2
Yeah I saw this too. I've wanted to attend but now I'm having doubts if it's worth the massive loan I'd have to take out since they don't offer scholarships.

Old 03 March 2010   #3
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: Yeah I saw this too. I've wanted to attend but now I'm having doubts if it's worth the massive loan I'd have to take out since they don't offer scholarships.

Considering that it isn't even an accredited school, I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a certificate program. Good luck getting funding to whoever thinks it is worth it.

Old 03 March 2010   #4
wowooo!! that's massive, no doubt gnomon school is up there on the top in term of education but that's simply out of reach for so many people...in comparaison the school where I work is 3500€ the year! almost 10 time less if you compare that's amazing.

But yeah you got the best of the best for that price I suppose..

cheers

Old 03 March 2010   #5
Originally Posted by taxguy: However, I am beginning to wonder if getting a three year program at SCAD or Ringling would be the better deal now, especially with more scholarship money available from these institutions. Just a heads up for everyone interested in Gnomon.

Ringling has a very reputable animation program. It's considered by many as the second best school for learning "animation". The first being Cal Arts

Old 03 March 2010   #6
Wow. Now that is a lot of cash to bust out but no room and board thats crazy. I know that The Dave school was doing something where you get free room and board for the whole time that you are taking the course. Note I am not advertising lol.

Old 03 March 2010   #7
Originally Posted by opus13: Considering that it isn't even an accredited school, I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a certificate program. Good luck getting funding to whoever thinks it is worth it.

Gnomon is accredited.

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 03 March 2010   #8
Originally Posted by SanjayChand: Gnomon is accredited.

And here is that link for that:

http://www.gnomonschool.com/accredidation.php

Old 03 March 2010   #9
Lets be clear about accreditation

Yes, Gnomon is accredited as a vocational school. It isn't accredited by the major accrediting agencies ( the Western Assocation of Schools and Colleges)that accredit most colleges such as CarArts, UC system etc.

Old 03 March 2010   #10
So can you transfer credits to other colleges? Just curious not that would stop me from going there if I had the money.

Old 03 March 2010   #11
Originally Posted by dpendleton: So can you transfer credits to other colleges? Just curious not that would stop me from going there if I had the money.

I doubt you'd be able to transfer credits.

Old 03 March 2010   #12
Originally Posted by taxguy: Yes, Gnomon is accredited as a vocational school. It isn't accredited by the major accrediting agencies ( the Western Assocation of Schools and Colleges)that accredit most colleges such as CarArts, UC system etc.

Im fairly certain those other agencies require the schools to offer degrees, and hence general education classes.

Website and Demo Reel:

Last edited by SanjayChand : 03 March 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Old 03 March 2010   #13
I don't think that Gnomon course credits transfer anywhere

Because Gnomon is not accredited by the major west coast accrediting agency that accredits most colleges ( Western Conference of Schools and Colleges), their credits won't transfer for either undergrad work or grad school.

Old 03 March 2010   #14
I wouldnt go there with the intention of transfering somewhere else later.

Almost everyone in my graduating class from Gnomon already had a degree anyhow.

Website and Demo Reel:

Old 03 March 2010   #15
Originally Posted by taxguy: Because Gnomon is not accredited by the major west coast accrediting agency that accredits most colleges ( Western Conference of Schools and Colleges), their credits won't transfer for either undergrad work or grad school.

From what I've read it's more of a finishing school and doesn't try to replace traditional programs. I still want to go there just because of all the opportunities it will afford me. I don't mind being in debt if I can get a job doing what I love to do, but 66k + 10k a year to live in LA (Rent, Food, etc.) is a lot. I'm not sure I could even get a loan for that much. Not to mention the fact that from what I hear you don't have time to work.

I don't know how the full time students in the program manage.

Thread Closed share thread