School recomendations for specialization in textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2010   #1
School recomendations for specialization in textures

Hello, I studied 5 years to become a graphic designer and then I started working in magazines and publicity agencys but 1 day I joined Second Life, and for hobby I started creating textures for the game and sell them, at some point I started wining more money than my real job, but most important I found my real passion that is create textures more than posters, ilustrations, webs, etc.

So with the money I won I thought start some course of textures to then try to work in professional games or movies, the problem is that everything I found is for 3d, modelling and animation, but what I like is create the textures and lighting.

I am very especialized in photoshop and adobe products, and now I learnt cinema 4d - bodypaint 3d for myself but I am like a newby with 3dmax and maya, just knowing the basics.

If you could help me, I would like to know recomendations to where I could develop my texture skills to be a professional, I love creating skin textures but also buildings, so I am searching some course or master to specialize in this.

I speak spanish but my english is ok, I understand movies and songs in english, but I never left my country but with one month I think I can adapt, so I don't care leave my country if its all in english.

Any help will be appreciated cos I am a bit lost in all this, and I don't know from where to start I just have clear wich is my passion and I don't want to start a course that will only make loose my time.

Thank you

Old 02 February 2010   #2
Hi Xdye, i'm new here but i hang with a few professional game designers, and I do some texture work myself. The main thing is to practice, over and over again until you have an impressive portfolio going. You may also want to get better with 3ds Max and maybe even a sculpting program. Most handpainted textures (which are popular now) have some kind of workflow from 3ds Max, to Zbrush (or mudbox), to photoshop. The primary field in game design that deals with texture creation is an Environment Artist, whereas he or she must also make models along with their textures.

As far as formal education, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Some of the best game designers, be them a programmer or environmental artist, are self taught at that skill. Most of the guys I know are self taught. When in doubt, post your work & get criticism on it! It's a wonderful way for professionals already in the industry to tell you if you are good enough.

Best of luck to you
-Tom

Old 02 February 2010   #3
I don't know of anyone who offers a texturing course. However, as a texture painter myself, I can give you some advice: learn Photoshop to an expert level, learn a 3D painting package like Bodypaint, learn some stuff about UV mapping, and then just practice a hell of a lot. If you have the chance to take some painting lessons, that can help too, to develop your sense of colour and how to mix and work with it efficiently and correctly. I would also recommend learning how to photograph textures properly, and learn about processing images once you've photographed them (so learn how to use Adobe Camera Raw). But mostly texturing is about your ability to manipulate photographs and to work creatively within Photoshop, with an extremely good understanding and use of colour and tone.

Old 02 February 2010   #4
yeah painting definitely helps, especially if you're a lame photographer (like me). i want to make trees so badly, but i can never photograph tree limbs good enough and i'm far less artistic to hand paint them. i want to get into drawing & painting so badly.

Old 02 February 2010   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread