CGTalk > Main Forums > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
salopla
portfolio
Milton Henry
Castries, Saint Lucia

I'm talking about the Art Institues (AI) in chicago.Thanks for the info. I really like the idea of gnomon but if i study there and go back home the only choice i will have is to work for myself. Its risky and since im already working here and getting good salary for my qualifications this could be a real problem. Im leaning towards a good 4 year college so that if I pay that much money I have a accredited degree that I can use in addition to my skills. Well now I'm back to square one really to see where i can go to for a good art education and a accredited degree because I will need one.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #17
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
I thought it was a no no to assess or discuss schools like this? There's a thread that blew up into a ton of arguing which is this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...14&page=6&pp=15

Old 02-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #18
salopla
portfolio
Milton Henry
Castries, Saint Lucia

Red face

If thats the case my apologies I will remember in the future. I have no intention of flaming the school I just want to know as much as I can. Thanks for the information everyone.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #19
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by salopla
If thats the case my apologies I will remember in the future. I have no intention of flaming the school I just want to know as much as I can. Thanks for the information everyone.

They did mention, I think, at one point that if you want information that you should do this through pm. So I think it would be best to continue your conversation with the other users using the pm system.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM   #20
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawl126
I thought it was a no no to assess or discuss schools like this? There's a thread that blew up into a ton of arguing which is this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...14&page=6&pp=15
I am discussing facts, not my personal opinions, regarding the Art Institutes (the chain). The fact is that it is not WASC accredited. Whether or not it's a good option for someone for whom this kind of accreditation is not important is not something I'm here to offer my opinion on.

The other thread you posted (which I haven't read in its entirety because it doesn't interest me) seems to have 'blown up' because of a person's rant against a particular school based on their opinion. You should also note that that thread is still open.

Accreditation is a matter of fact and not opinion. It would be silly to not be able to discuss facts and opinions about schools (within reason) in a forum dedicated to Courses and Schools. If someone comes here and asks if a business school teaches art or not, I don't think that answers to these kinds of questions need be confined to pm, that's ridiculous.

To the OP - it is a catch 22 for many students these days - places like Gnomon offer the best in terms of up to the minute technical training, but without being accredited, international students are often in a bind if they do not have a degree. Please note that I have no visa expertise but do know that to be sponsored by a company to gain visa status you must have a bachelor's degree of some kind. I am fully aware that in very rare cases there are exceptions, but these are the exception and not the rule. If you want proof of that I can put you in touch with 2-3 Gnomon graduates with excellent reels and qualifications who are all back in their home countries now because they could not get visa sponsorship without a degree. Please note that I have no idea if an AI degree will count toward a visa - you need to figure that out by doing your research. It is not an impossibilty, just something about which I am unsure, and it's worth finding out a definitive answer before plunking down money for the school.

In the US, some of the better 4 year schools which offer programs of study in CG are SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design, in Georgia) and Ringling College of Art (in Florida). Out here on the West Coast, there's AAU (Art Academy San Francisco - research this forum to see a whole thread on the pros and cons there) and I teach at Otis College of Art, which has a strong traditional (drawing) Foundation program as well as a strong Digital Media program. I'm never an advocate of a particular school, I am always more interested in the best match for a student. I think you ought to check out SCAD and Ringling. VFS I don't know anything about in terms of their offering a degree, although I do believe it's only a 1 year certificate program. Canada's system is an entirely different story about which I have no knowlege.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 02-13-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 AM   #21
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
San Jose, USA

Agreed, I have no idea what exactly is allowed here in the Courses and Schools forum anymore. I thought at first that you were freely able to discuss schools, but then personal assessments of schools seemed to bring up a ton of controversy. And it isn't my place to say what can or cannot be discussed, but I did have good intentions in mind for the OP (trying to possibly avoid any trouble for the discussion).

Old 02-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #22
artbytravissmith
Veteran
portfolio
Travis Smith
CG Generalist
Zoic Studios
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak
Please note that I have no idea if an AI degree will count toward a visa - you need to figure that out by doing your research. It is not an impossibilty, just something about which I am unsure, and it's worth finding out a definitive answer before plunking down money for the school.

To salopla but relating to what Rebeccak said,

After speaking to people around my school one student said that the diploma from AI Vancouver is enough to get into the States and that is according to an American company that he spoke to. When Sony ImageWorks gave a presentation at our school they said more or less the same thing but I still question whether this is accurate. I know that if you have years of experience in the industry it will make it much easier for international students to stay in Canada or for Canadian/International students enter the States after finishing school but I question whether AI Vancouver's diploma is enough by itself unless you are prodigiously skilled.

As for whether you'll be able to stay in Vancouver or Canada after you finish your studies I've met a number of international students at my school that have had different results.

One friend of mine is more than likely going to be able to stay but he worked in India's CG industry for years and held a very high position prior to entering this school. From what I recall he's applying for permanent residency. If you would like to stay in Canada I would suggest checking out where you fall on the immigration points system and see what you can do to improve your standing before coming here. If you also know French it should help.

Other international students and graduates are facing much more difficulty staying here. Part of it is because of the economy, limitations of the diploma itself, and a lack of prior work experience in the field. If you want I'll try to find out more.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
salopla
portfolio
Milton Henry
Castries, Saint Lucia

Thanks tbone, keep trying if you can. The more info i get the better .

Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #24
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to _vine_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak
I am discussing facts, not my personal opinions, regarding the Art Institutes (the chain). The fact is that it is not WASC accredited.

It's true the no Art Institutes are accredited by the WASC but almost all Art Institutes are accredited by other agencies. The Art Institute of Philadelphia and AI of Pittsburgh are accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Education. Many other Art Institutes including Fort Lauderdale are accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools which is recognized by the US Secretary of Education.

I figured I would add this simply because I am a graduate of the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale with a Bachelor of Science in Media Arts and Animation, who was able to use his degree credits towards an art history doctoral (which I'm sadly still working on).

Old 02-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #25
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

Pertaining to this post the Art Institute of Vancouver is accredited by the Private Postsecondary Education Commission of British Columbia. I think the the School of the Art Institute of Chicago was misidentified as part of the Art Institute private schools, which it is not.

The ACISC also accredits the Art Institutes of Tuscon, Phoenix, CA/LA, CA/Orange County, CA/Sacramento, CA-Sunnyvale, CA/San Francisco, CA/Hollywood, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minnesota, Las Vegas, New York, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Philadelphia, York-Pennsylvania, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Tuscon.

I only add this because misinformation like saying so and so school is unaccredited is just as bad as flat out saying the school is a money making scam.

Last edited by _vine_ : 02-26-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #26
_vine_
Know-it-All
CAM
Character Artist
USA

You may have seen this from Gamasutra already, but the Princeton Review has listed the Art Institute of Vancouver as the sixth best game design undergraduate program in America. I add this since salopla mentioned it as one of the schools they were interested in. Check out the list because it will probably give you some ideas for game design programs.\

Here is the Princeton Review site.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
salopla
portfolio
Milton Henry
Castries, Saint Lucia

Thumbs up

I'll give it a check out to see.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #28
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vine_
I only add this because misinformation like saying so and so school is unaccredited is just as bad as flat out saying the school is a money making scam.
At first I did think the AI was unaccredited, but if you read through my posts you will see that I corrected myself and noted that the AI is unaccredited by WASC. It is nationally accredited.

In the last 2 weeks I have run across two more people who attended AI and who feel that they wasted their money there, as they did not end up with a (WASC) accredited degree. An adult in my class has a daughter who went through AI only to discover that she could not get accepted to grad school here in Southern California due to the fact that they would not accept her credits. A student of mine that I talked to today also went through AI and transferred as she was unsatisfied with the program - she's now $70,000 in debt and starting over to get a degree in a new school.

I'm not saying AI isn't a good school for some people, but I think the smart person will attend an accredited school (both regionally and nationally) as AI costs the same amount of money and takes the same amount of time to matriculate through as does a completely accredited school (such as SCAD and Ringling).

I've run into one person who attended AI and was happy with their experience there, but the vast majority of people who I've run into who have attended there have either transferred or left the school with a massive amount of debt and no degree (or no WASC accredited degree) to show for it.

Even the figure drawing models who work for me say that they don't recommend the school...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #29
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread