E.t.s.u

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2010   #1
E.t.s.u

Has anyone graduated or checked out East Tenn State University?

Been looking for some reviews on the place.

Old 01 January 2010   #2
I visited ETSU about 6 years ago when I was looking for schools, at the time they had a brand new facility dedicated to computer art/3D, were making annual field trips to SIGGRAPH, and providing great tuition prices for students in the tri-state area who didn't have in state access to such a program. The faculty wasn't award winning, but I'd say the facilities were in place for anyone determined enough to pump out some great work(they were running Maya at the time, and had a very small render farm to boot) I'd say they're pretty much on par with most other large state schools offering similar programs.

Old 02 February 2010   #3
I'm at ETSU now. I think what MaxBickley said pretty much sums everything up. They keep the computers and software up to date (and a completely new render farm got installed over the Christmas break). The faculty may not be incredibly well know, but they've all worked in the industry and if you take the time to get to know them they will do anything to help you succeed. They're starting to offer game level design and game development classes too. ETSU has the tools, but you have to keep yourself motivated.

Graduates are working at Sony Imageworks, Rhythm and Hues, Weta, ILM, and Riot (according to the alumni Facebook group).

Hope this helps.

Old 02 February 2010   #4
Any links to student work?

Old 02 February 2010   #5
I'm a student at ETSU now as well. Everything that's been said so far is pretty accurate.

The labs are open pretty much 24/7, and the software and computers are always up to date. I love it here. I pretty much live in the Digital Media Labs. There's a lot of good stuff to do in the area if you like the outdoors as well.

I think the professors could expect more from students, but unlike an art school there's no portfolio requirement to get in. Overall the equipment and instruction are hard to beat for the price. No matter where you go to school you're only going to get what you put into it.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you've got.

Last edited by CPFitz14 : 03 March 2010 at 10:16 PM.

Old 02 February 2010   #6
Here's a link to student work:

http://etsudigitalmedia.com/digm1/?cat=5

Old 01 January 2011   #7
Im here now at least for now. It seems cool trying to find out where the labs are (huge campus). I would love to meet some of you guys. First semester

Old 04 April 2011   #8
first semester is almost under my belt is anyone coming in the fall or here this summer?

If you have any questions about the university feel free to ask. If your here pm me

Old 04 April 2011   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread