about VFS, and what should i bring

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
about VFS, and what should i bring

Hey guys, well anyway, i got accepted to VFS, im going in 6 months, that is June 2010, i just wanted to ask what should i bring with me there... not really sure, maybe someone who has been there can share some experiences about it idk...

anyway i think i may need a laptop, i could bring my desktop, but i find it too big for bringing there. but which laptop? any laptop? maybe a mac? or a customized laptop?

im bringing my guitar for boredom hours that undiscussable and clothes for cold days.

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

01 January 2010
First of all what are you going to study there and where are you moving from. Computer wise, a desktop is more better because most of time you will be doing work at home, and during classes you want to pay attention and take notes to help you when you get home.

01 January 2010
Congrats! Depending on what you're studying I'd say a small, pocket digital audio recorder for lectures, a Wacom tablet, a small personal space heater, maybe try to order art supplies at a discount online while you still have time.

01 January 2010
There is a opus art store right next to VFS and they are the largest art supplier in vancouver, they havent monthly sales so check with them if you need supply.

I am not sure if the weather is that cold here which requires you to have a small heater.

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by shadowofamn: There is a opus art store right next to VFS and they are the largest art supplier in vancouver, they havent monthly sales so check with them if you need supply.

I am not sure if the weather is that cold here which requires you to have a small heater.

Small heater fans go for as low as $25. Good investment to keep the space near your desk warm if you want cut the heating bill here and there.

01 January 2010
shadowofamn: sorry didnt mentioned :P, im studying 3d animation and visual effects, and moving from San Diego, CA, not sure about the desktop thing, i just discovered the VFS thread, read a lot of stuff in it, and mostly people say that would be better to do all my work in the labs, since i could get tips and help from other students there, the only thing that could help would be using it for home rendering, (but not really useful as there are a lot of empty computers around) so im thinking of getting a normal laptop just for web browsing and some other random stuff.

vcassel: thx for the tip, a small audio recorder is an awesome tip... ill put that on the list XD
im bringing my wacom tablet a intuos 3, and space heater... man i sooo need that even right now, my hands get all cold...

MY WORK AT behance

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by Wualforvalle: vcassel: thx for the tip, a small audio recorder is an awesome tip... ill put that on the list XD
im bringing my wacom tablet a intuos 3, and space heater... man i sooo need that even right now, my hands get all cold...

I've never tried it before, but if you do bring a small laptop and Wacom tablet into class you can use Microsoft OneNote to jot notes down digitaly while recording audio at the same time. I know someone who swears by this to save paper. Just a thought.

Good luck with the school!

01 January 2010
That's quite a distance, I second using onenote or simply word to write down importants steps to do stuff. Most classes are fast pace with instructor going over a lot of details. You have to go home and "digest" them by exploring those details. Animations are all about small tweaks for perfection.

For computer a desktop is way cheaper than a laptop both for rendering your animation, even at 24 fps you are gonna take a long long time to render a short demo or pieces of homework. A laptop gives you more mobililty if you really want use a comp everywhere.

01 January 2010
well thx for the advices, probably getting a laptop for the mobility, as far as vfx, animation or modelling i still dont know, which one to choose, if... as you say, animation is all about tweaking and stuff and will not learn much of concepts, then i probably eliminate that one.

MY WORK AT behance

01 January 2010
Keep away from choosing which stream to take before you try to animate, model and do fx. Trust me, you might eventually choose sth you didn't even think about before you started the course. It happens to most of those who go to vfs. I went there thinking I wanted to be an animator and for the first 3 months was determined not to do any modeling. In the end I chose the modeling stream and am glad to have done so. I think there was only 1 person in my class who stuck to his guns throughout the whole program.

also you don't need any art supplies - you'll be provided with everything by the school.

01 January 2010
I plan on attending vfs some time later this year also. (not sure when yet, probably starting with the foundation course)

I never thought about taking an audio recorder that is genius! (I'd love a pm on a possible brand :P)

I imagine a laptop would work wonders for notes. I know I will have mine all the time if the teacher allows note taking on them.

I don't know but I would think a external hard drive would probably be useful. And an extremely loud reliable alarm clock?

just my two cents

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

01 January 2010
Your going to need an umbrella because it rains almost every day in that God forsaken city, but they give you one on orientation day (I recommend waterproof shoes). Your going to need a big stick to fight off the homeless crackheads who will ask you for money and cigarettes every few feet (you can use a large pointy umbrella for this to minimize the amount of objects you have to carry around). Your going to need some friends (aka. double agents) to protect yourself from the viscous gossip/general douchebaggery that goes on (aka. cheating, lying, trash talking etc.). You shouldn't need a computer, because they provide them for you, but if you want your own, which can help or be a distraction depending on yourself, I would definitely get a PC over a Mac. Either a custom built desktop (check the hardware forums for existing posts) or a Lenovo W700 laptop as a good option for a portable. If you just need net access for at home, then get a cheap net-book. You will need some sort of removable storage to back up your work, a big thumb-drive will do the trick for the most part, otherwise get a removable HDD, especially if you end up working with video. If your going to be checking out wacom tablets all the time, it's a pain -you might want your own if you can afford it, but it isn't entirely necessary, just a nuisance as they aren't sitting at every machine by default. Feel free to PM me if you want any more advice but that should be the basic stuff.

02 February 2010
Just bring a laptop for web browsing/gamnes/w/e, don't bother with the desktop. They have a large lab room full of computers that you get all your work done on thats open 24/7. I had the brilliant idea to bring my tower to Vancouver from MA in the US to work at home and I turned out barely using it. So i paid a ton of money to have it brought up to Vancouver to never use it. Just stick w/ the laptop for fun

02 February 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread