Qualifications for educational software prices.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
Qualifications for educational software prices.

Maybe this should be more for debate,

But shouldn't any type of learning qualify you for an educational package of 3d software. I like most of what I see in gnomon's video section, so much so, that I am thinking about subscribing for the 500 1 year deal.

I was just curious if anyone had used learning like this as a way to get software at educational prices. I want to learn maya but I can't afford to drop 4k to "learn" the software,nor can I afford 20k+ for an educational "program".

What I am really looking for is a way to learn maya without having to resort to getting a cracked copy off the internet that may lack features or content I need from the full version.
I can afford the educational prices of software but it seems you need to be in a 20,000 dollar program to get those prices.

Any insight?

12 December 2009
I'm trying to remember what the website was called, but there are places online where you can buy copies of Maya and other expensive software for a much smaller fee. They basically give you the full software, but with an educational license. As far as I'm aware they are legitimate - I haven't tried myself since I have access to the software at school. Perhaps someone else can enlighten this post?

Here's a quick search result, you might have to call them and explain your situation to them. Having the gnomon school proof would certainly make things go smoother.

http://www.studica.com/products/pro...odesk-Maya-2010

12 December 2009
www.journeyed.com
www.studica.com

CGSociety Folding@Home team

CGSociety TF2

12 December 2009
It bears mentioning that Maya, among other packages, has a Personal Learning Edition available free of charge.

As for qualifying for education licenses, I believe that even enrollment at a community college would be sufficient. Journeyed merely requested a scan of my student I.D. for verification of my enrollment. They did not specify that I had to be enrolled in a visual effects or animation program (though I was).

12 December 2009
fxphd mentioned that they were working with Journeyed and Escape Studios to offer educational pricing to their students.

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by Midgardsormr: It bears mentioning that Maya, among other packages, has a Personal Learning Edition available free of charge.

PLE is dead and gone :(

Autodesk however have released Softimage Mod Tool which includes ICE and FXTree!
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=13571320

Houdini from Sidefx.com has an HD version that is $99 to anyone.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...sk=view&id=1002

Last edited by teahtime : 12 December 2009 at 08:13 AM.

12 December 2009
I did not know that. I wonder if that's boosted their education license sales or simply cut off potential users? I'm not sure I'd have purchased my edu license if I hadn't already gotten a head start with the PLE. I'm just one data point, though.

12 December 2009
PLE was replaced with a 30-day trial of Maya (Unlimited) at the end of last year.

Originally Posted by Midgardsormr: I did not know that. I wonder if that's boosted their education license sales or simply cut off potential users? I'm not sure I'd have purchased my edu license if I hadn't already gotten a head start with the PLE. I'm just one data point, though.

CGSociety Folding@Home team

CGSociety TF2

12 December 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread