Rising above

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2009   #1
Rising above

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some solid advice. I will be graduating in a year from college with a non-art/animation degree...(pretty much my backup career). I obviously am very into doing 3d work, though I am not sure (since I have had relatively little experience, except a few animation/3d modeling classes at a state school) what I'd enjoy most; lighting, animating, modeling, set designing, ect.
My question is, I do not want to spend around $100,000 and start over as a freshmen and not graduate/be able to enter the work world until my mid to late twenties... would it be unwise and a waste of time and money to do Animationmentor.com as well as a few online classes regarding texture/modeling/lighting from Gnomone online? Do I really need to go to somewhere like CalArts or Ringling or would this "limited knowledge" from AM and some Gnomone be adequate?

I guess I'm also asking (obviously putting forth a lot of effort) can a demo real comprised of stuff from AM be adequate in securing a job with AM's networking resources?

Old 12 December 2009   #2
My first advice is to really choose one thing you want to get very good at and practice, practice, practice. You mentioned "lighting, animating, modeling, set designing, etc".. that's already too spread out. I made the mistake of trying to learn everything at once and am basically having to start at square one again.

Pick one or two of those skill-types and focus on them and try to become the best you can with whatever tools / learning resources are available. You can always learn about the others later, but make sure you are very strong in at least one area.

My other bit of advice is to try out tutorial DVDs first to maybe find out what you enjoy most. No sense wasting a lot of money until you know something is right for you. I can't really comment on whether those courses are worth it or not, I just wouldn't recommend them unless you are sure spending the money will be worthwhile to you on a personal level.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 12 December 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 12 December 2009   #3
Are there any specific dvd's you would suggest investing in, that would really help show what it's like to specialize in each of these area's of 3d?

Old 12 December 2009   #4
i think generalizing will help if you work at a very small studio. But for most places you want to be the best at something so you can't be replaced.

Old 12 December 2009   #5
Originally Posted by SoGSotK: Are there any specific dvd's you would suggest investing in, that would really help show what it's like to specialize in each of these area's of 3d?

Gnomon have the best specialized DVD's from actual professionals that I've seen.

Old 12 December 2009   #6
Originally Posted by MrPositive: Gnomon have the best specialized DVD's from actual professionals that I've seen.

In general gnomon dvds are a bit more advanced (very good like Clinton says) they assume you have a ground knowledge of the area the dvd is dealing with. Other resources are Digital tutors and 3dBuzz.

Your base question has been asked a million times before.
Can I be a success without formal education?

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutori...t_training.html
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/money_mouth.htm

Deals with the game industry but rings true for 3d in general.

Good luck man, have fun

Old 12 December 2009   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread