Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
akali
portfolio
Alice Wei
High school student
Burnaby South Secondary
Burnaby, Canada

Send a message via MSN to akali
Question School for concept artists or 3D modeler?

Hi everyone! I am a 17 years old girl who is interested in being a part of the gaming industry. However, right now i am stuck on what school I should be going next year after I graduate.

Choices for me are:
  • Vancouver Film Schoo
  • Art Institute of Vancouver
  • Emily Carr
  • Capilano
  • and also something extra called the Think Tank Trainging Center
I already got accepted into the Art Institute, and I just applied for Emily Carr, still in the process of handing in my portfolio stuff.

Im really not sure which school is best suitable for me though. I have to say tat I am more of a fine art person, but I can do technical stuff ( i guess i just perferr drawing stuff better ), I love drawing and painting on photoshop, but im not so much into animation.

So animation is really not my thing, so I applied for 3D modeling at Art Institute. But now im really stuck because~ my art teacher told me tat AI is not as great as Emily carr... that i should be going to emily carr instead...

I know tat emily carr is more on the fine arts side, instead of the computer stuff, so i was thinking taking Illustration major there.

I just want some advice on what school i should go to, and see some diffrent comments on diffrent school in BC Cananda. Also, i wanted to become a concept artist or my second choice is 3d modeler, im not sure about employability of these jobs, so I wanted to ask all those experienced seniors to give some advice for me please~

PS> Im not bad at drawing, I've been loving art as far as i could remember, and ive been studying art very hard by myself too.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

If you are looking for concept art.....

If you live in Canada and want concept art, check out Max the Mutt's program. It is very good and incredibly inexpensive. They don't seem to have a modeling program though

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Shadowofamn
portfolio
Wing Kit Yu
3D Generalist
The Art Institude of Vancouver
North Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Shadowofamn
I am currently attending AI of Vancouver on my 2nd quarter in 3d modeling for games and animations. I am can tell you AI is very tough to get through because of their expected standard is high. But in the bright side you are more competitive in the industry when you are graduating.

Capilano Uni is quite good but their reputation for digital arts less than VFS and AI. BCIT also offer more technical version of digital arts.

Good luck with your selection.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread