I Was Told That I'd Fail?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
I dont understand why you cant just learn to draw? Might take a few years practice until you are comfortable, but thats fine, right?

And dont let honest truth make you give up, let it make you prepare. 3 years ago, when i was in my first year of uni, some incredibly experienced artists came in to give a talk. They very honestly told us that in truth the odds were that only 5% of us in the room would find work in the vfx industry. You have to just take thar as a challenge and make sure you work hard to be the best you can be. I now work for those same people.

So keep your chin up and work your arse off until you can draw and model like a pro. Then go and prove your tutor wrong!

Nick

Nick Marshall
Head of Environments / Generalists
Double Negative :: Vancouver
www.dneg.com

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by leigh: Sorry, but I totally disagree. As far as 3D modeller positions go, the vast majority of jobs would be in the games, TV/broadcast, web and film industries. CAD is something I'd regard as an entirely separate discipline altogether. Considering the guy who posted this thread is going to Full Sail, I think it's a fair bet that he's wanting to head into one of these fields.

fair enough. i took your 10 years as a jab at me, sorry. your reply sounded like you being a ten year veteran was telling some kid fresh out of class they did not know what they were talking about. it happens, several here dont have the experience to back up what they debate. i would not say i was one of them and i spouted some credentials to prove it

my first post did explain that i see a difference between creative modeling and production modeling. so while doing your rendition of a dragon would require traditional art skills, especially with concept sketches, texturing and rendering. modeling the latest battery pak drill for a commercial or a pro-mo flyer would not IMO.

that is my site but its not been updated for 6 or so years. i lost interest in it
so its pretty much an abandoned place.
i no longer work at global. i left them in 2005 and went to NGC.

my 23 years deals with total modeling experience (i started in 1987, thats where the 23 number came from). computer modeling comprises only the back half of my work experience. experience in game/movie/tv would total only 3 years or so.

i guess i wanted to explain that a career in modeling does not mean you
must work in games, movies or TV.

the OP said this -

I've played with 3D programs and I've made stuff, but the problem is my drawing skills aren't that great. And I was told that without good drawing skills, I'd fail in the 3D industry.

this is what i disagree with.

while he may go to full sail and want to peruse a career in game/movie/tv. that
is a small piece of the modeling career pie IMO.

its like saying you want to fly but only in fighter planes. thats a limited field to
build a career in and a very competitive arena to get into. you will stand a much better
chance of having a flying career if you expand and look into all forms of flying.

you honestly may not be good enough or have the skills to fly a JSF or raptor. this does not mean you should go into insurance. flying a cargo plane or a commuter will give you a good paying career that enables you to still 'fly' if your heart is set on flying.

this was the advice i was trying to give.
i guess we just disagree on what modeling is.

12 December 2009
Having gone to Full Sail, and like I mentioned had a teacher or so tell us we wouldn't make it to the big shops in film..well I think a certain kind of discouragement coming from the institution is pretty wrong. I personally used it as motivation, but it can be damaging to some students even if trying to help.

Trying to be realistic with people up front before spending that kind of money (expensive school) is great, but maybe could have been worded differently. Tell them it's hard, brutal hours, so forth. But I haven't really been known to draw (yes, very artistic before school) and I seem to be doing ok. I do think it's important, and definitely for modeling, but that's not all the 3d industry is. When I was in school I was into compositing and fx. Yes, being artistic is important, but no I'm not drawing too much with my particle sims.

We had a class of about 50, and yes I think all of us wanted to be in film and games. But I think it would have been great for exposure to the other parts of the 3d industry (medical illustration is huge, no?), because I think out of that 50, 3 of us are in film or games.

Maybe it's a fine line between being realistic vs. discouraging.

Either way, if the OP or any aspiring students want it bad enough, work your butts off. Very competitive industry as I think everyone has mentioned, and you always want to try and improve.

12 December 2009
I have modeled for 5 years now, and the biggest boost I got in modelling was when I took a 5 month intense figure drawing class and didn't touched the computer at all.

12 December 2009
My drawing skills are ok at best and I've been in the industry as an for a year now. Though don't tell people that unless they bring it up. Once they see your work, if it's really good no one will care if you can draw or not. It helps, learning any tool to produce work helps, whether it's pencil and paper or a pc with maya. Master one or be decent at both and with lots of determination you'll be just fine.

12 December 2009
These drawing threads seem to go back and forth ad nauseum. I just don't understand the issue here. In what way feasible, can learning to draw better, hurt you? That's all I want answered. Personally, I just think most people are lazy and want the easiest road to success possible (which isn't always at first necessarily wrong either). In my own experience, I have never drawn nearly as well as most, and my traditional instruction and strengths were in sculpture. However, when I got into 3D, I was determined to improve my drawing to at least a manageable level to help express my ideas visually to others. I think each of us has a potential threshold that we can achieve in drawing/art, some higher than others, but almost all high enough to improve their 3D skill sets across the board. We hold weekly figure (clothed) classes for free at the school for basically anyone. All that is required is your time. Shrug.

Last edited by MrPositive : 12 December 2009 at 07:00 PM.

12 December 2009
I know a couple of the folks who can't draw and who are refered to for their CG skills in this thread... and for one of them I will say this: he can build practical models as well as model, light, comp, etc. He'd probably be a fair decent sculptor as well, as it's his understanding of form (and engineering, mechanics, how elements move in space) that he has got from building, studying, sorting out problems. His observational skills are solid, too. The best way to develop an understanding of form and work on your observation is to draw, a lot. Draw and sculpt.

Do you need to? No, course not. I think folks who post these sorts of questions tend to be looking for a way out. But all of the modelers, animators, and texture artists I've met who absolutely kick ass can draw and paint at a very high level; working in the industry is just the day job so they can keep doing the 'real' work for themselves and keep growing as artists.

It may pay to take this to heart: some companies (I'm thinking of three known for live action fx) will not hire you without a very solid credit list or show reel (NOT student) if they don't see massive traditional skills in a portfolio, regardless of your demo reel quality.

12 December 2009
What drawing helps the most is to keep your ideas in your mind while you model. Keeping a mental picture (a steady one) is tough. Drawing is something that helps you get that skill. You only need a minimum drawing ability to do this. A simple sketching skill is all that is needed mostly.

That is not my word. I took it from my friend who is a sculptor.

I only have just 3 years of exp within prof game dev. but what I have seen from my experience is that what drawing helps in a real job is with communication. Most of the 3d (game/film) and vfx job requires good level of communication and drawing is very frequently used here by everyone.

Hell... nowadays even fx programmers (some of us are mathematicians) knows how to make a simple sketch to convey ideas. So even if you are a top 3D artist (without drawing skill), when you want to work efficiently in big projects, drawing is an irreplaceable skill.

Really.. it takes at most 2 months of a drawing class to get started. After that you can feel happy that you nolonger have that weakness

12 December 2009
Drawing will help you learn the basics of anatomy and poses which can help a lot with modelling and proportions. It's a good idea to be able to draw so you can draw out ideas before spending hours or days on a project.

Wanting and loving something doesn't mean you'll get it. Some people just can't grasp on to certain things. You have to work hard and practice a lot. Ask other people in the field what they did to get to where they were.

Use what that person told you as motivation, don't get cocky or shut that person out, but ask why, or what you can do to improve. Sometimes people try to test your reactions to see if you really want something.

Good luck.

12 December 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread