I Was Told That I'd Fail?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #16
I'm actually a current student at full sail, and I remember them saying all that stuff when I was looking at the school that said you have to be really good at drawing to succeed there. First off, they don't require a portfolio to get in, so obviously they aren't that concerned with how good an artist you are, no matter what they claim.

In fact, some of the worst artists there seem to succeed better than most just because it is such a technical school. You don't earn a BA, it's a BS, and they only have 2 pure art classes (although classes change from month to month, depending on when you start), so your grades won't be affected much if you can't draw all that well. And yes, as the previous poster said, they do work you to the bone.

It's a 24 hour school, and they really mean that when they say it. I've slept there before, as have most of the other CA students. We do have a nice lounge though with a long padded bench that makes a great place for naps I think that for some, Full Sail can be a great school and a great learning experience.

Personally though, I do wish I had chosen a four year school instead. I'm a bit of a slow learner and I also love art, so I think I would have done better at a different school that has more of an emphasis on the art side of things and gave you more time to be creative with what you learn.

The main thing that attracted me to full sail was the degree in two years. I'm older than most students (I'm 27), so I really liked the idea of earning a degree fast so that I could start working sooner. I'm almost done with the program now and I feel burned out mostly because I do like art and being creative, but full sail is more about learning the technical knowledge as fast as possible. This school really is good for the technically minded, so if you had an easy time when you were playing with 3D programs, this might be a good place for you.

Personally, I found Maya incredibly difficult in the beginning, but now I feel like I've lived within it for so long that it's seeped into my blood or something... I have these maya dreams where maya is a massive computer that can think for itself and has a female vocie that talks to me and it creates these fantastic, fully alive creatures that are sometimes good and sometimes bad... yeah, so I think full sail may be driving me a little crazy

Anyways, I think now that the technical stuff is almost second nature and I can concentrate more on art once I graduate. I think I'll feel better about full sail in a couple of months when I get to finally start working on my demo reel too

The main point of this long rant is that if you can't draw and are more technically minded, full sail may actually be the best place for you. Other schools would probably penalize you grade wise if you're not all that great at drawing. And personally, I think modeling and drawing are two different skills anyways and they don't necessarily have to be completely interconnected... sculpting isn't drawing or painting.

Although practicing your drawing skills can't do anything but help If you want to do character/organic modeling, you'll have to study anatomy anyways so you could just get an anatomy book and practice drawing stuff out of there

Good luck!

Old 11 November 2009   #17
my former boss was told by his college faculty that he would fail. he now heads the CG department of a small commercial production company.

i am working on my drawing but know it still sucks. yet i managed to do pretty well freelancing for years. (i never drew anything)

what are your strengths? maximize them and you will succeed.

Old 11 November 2009   #18
I went to Full Sail as well. I was interested in compositing and FX..used to be big into drawing but over time it faded due to whatever. We had an instructor who said none of us would "make it to an ILM" or that level. Well there were 50 of us, and only a few of us made it to that level. I'm a cloth/hair TD now which I don't use much of the drawing but I WOULD suggest looking at a four year school for the reasons others have given.

It is great to have a fall back, and to be more well-rounded in general. Even if you are in this business it's just good to have knowledge of a variety of subjects.

If you want to be a modeler I would listen to the previous posts and start drawing. Modeling is very competitive, and so artistic, you'd be hurting yourself if you didn't try and improve in every way possible.

As far as someone telling you (what did they say the reason was specifically?), you could always use that as fuel to further motivate you...worked for me.

Old 11 November 2009   #19
My thoughts in general about any art education, whether it be Full Sail, an Art Institute, 4 year college or university, etc., is that you will get out of it what you put into it. I went to the Art Institute of Fort Lauderale. During my time there, I knew a person who literally did not know how to turn on a computer when he began turn into an awesome animator because he put tons of time into learning the skills. He now works for Pixar and fully deserves his position there. I put my heart and soul into my traditional and digital skills and am the lead character artist at my current employer. I also saw people with amazing skills in school never graduate or find a job because they weren't willing to dedicate themselves to it.

If you feel your drawing skills need some work, then just grab and pencil and have at it. Post your stuff and tons of industry people are viewing all of the major CG forums daily and will give you tons of advice for free. Also, many colleges will allow a person to "audit" basic drawing courses. Even check out local community centers in your town, many have drawing classes taught by local artists and teachers.

An honest fact is that some people will never develop the talent or drive to succeed in the art industry, but you will never know if you have what it takes until you jump in full force and try it. The worst thing that can happen is you have an educational life experience.

Old 11 November 2009   #20
That advisor should find a new job and stop advising people. They don't know how to do it. Drawing might help but if you want to be a animator, you don't need to know how to draw. Unless of course you want to be a 2d animator. However, if creating 3d digital content is what you want to do, then do that! Forget what nonsense your advisor tells you. Tell them that your staying in 3d but you recommend them to find a new job rather. That's just ridiculous

Old 11 November 2009   #21
I love the way everyone is still replying to this guy who never bothered to come back. In fact, according to the database, he's never returned since posting, so every single one of these replies has been a waste of everyone's time.

Yay.

:/

Old 11 November 2009   #22
And locked... err.. now..... now.... uhm...... now?

Old 11 November 2009   #23
Still good advice for others, no?

Old 11 November 2009   #24
Don't worry, it's not a waste. The advice is applicable to others like me and I will certainly take something away from the thread. I started with motion graphics and compositing and am just starting to enter more into the 3D realm (Modelling in particular). Reading this gives me encouragement that I can take it to the next level if I revisit those drawing skills I never built up in the beginning and just keep pushing for those goals. Thanks all!

Old 11 November 2009   #25
play him off, keyboard cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQU8...player_embedded

Old 11 November 2009   #26
I'd have to say don't listen to anyone but yourself. If this is something you are seriously passionate about you will do what it takes to get to your goal. Take some art classes if you're really concerned about your 2D skills, most but not all the times you work off of someone elses concept and build from reference anyway, your going to school to be a 3D artist not a 2D. If you have the drive and ambition it shouldn't really matter what another says, if it's what you want then take it! I don't know maybe it just me.

Old 11 November 2009   #27
Hi All,

I'm not the guy who started this thread but I'm finding it very helpful as I'm now at a crossroad in my life. I'm glad this topic came up because it was something I've always wondered about as well.

The responses to this thread have been very encouraging to me. Pls dont think it has gone to waste

Old 11 November 2009   #28
Thumbs up

I believe the advisor was talking to a potential student who has not officially enrolled into their school. There is a difference between breaking someone's spirit/crushing their dreams and giving them a reality check so they don't waste their time and money on a degree that they are not prepared for yet. Full Sail recommends having strong drawing skills before entering their Computer Animation program and to take some foundation courses ahead of time so that you can succeed in a fast paced course (on-campus course is really fast paced). If they were only there to enroll and take his money... they would have not cared about his level of drawing skills and enrolled him without a care for his success.

I am going through enrollment at Full Sail for computer animation and am having the same discussion with my advisor. At my request, they are reviewing some of my sketches and taking into consideration what I want to do with the skills learned there and what my level of drawing is. Why spend thousands of dollars for an education if you aren't ready? I don't plan on going just by what they say, I am having other professional artists give me feedback.

I posted this, because I think there is a misunderstanding on why they told this guy this...

This wasn't a wasted thread either. Much of this feedback is good info

Old 11 November 2009   #29
Well I personally started in 3d without ever knowing how to draw. I ended up teaching myself 3d and never really got into drawing. Over time though I found myself more interested in learning to draw and have been doing so to the point that at least now I can draw even if not as well as I model. Ive been a 3d artist succesfully for some time without knowing how to draw. I do think however that drawing is a useful skill to have and will indeed improve you overall. So I dont think drawing is necesary but it is advisable to learn it. Besides, I know a couple of people that sculpt in clay amazingly but suck at drawing. Art uses many mediums, a pencil is just one of them. Only way you will fail is if you give up.

http://dennismejillones.com/ (Under Construction)

Do or do not, there is no try--Yoda

Old 11 November 2009   #30
I agree Vsions. I think it's wrong for someone to predict an others failure in art/design based on whether or not they can draw. I taught myself moiton graphics in Photoshop and After Effects and had someone tell me not to quit my day job... now (a few years later) I work in the field professionally and do well at it! Since I have decided to pursue enhancing my skill-set with 3D design and animation I have had one school tell me that my drawing skills are a failure and I couldn't move forward into their animation program. I have been drawing religiously everyday since with great improvements. I refuse to give up. People from that school can go pee in the wind

I will say, compared to the school mention above, the staff at Full Sail have been very helpful without being pushy in making my decision to go there!

Thread Closed share thread