Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Canderson
portfolio
Chris Anderson
Sacramento, USA

The DAVE School

Hi Everyone!

I'm new the the forum here. Glad to be a part of the discussions and to share information. From what I've gathered, this site and its community members are a fantastic wealth of knowledge. I will spread the word and encourage our students to be a part of the community as well.

Are there any DAVE school alumni out there already? The DAVE school is a one year VFX program that includes hard surface and organic modeling, character animation, visual effects compositing, and much more.

Chris

Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

We would love some input on the Dave School

Franklly, with the huge volume of knowledge and skills required of animation, I would be very surprised if any school with a one-year program, such as the Dave School, would be able to inculcate sufficent skills for obtaining a top notch industry job. I always heard that schools such as the Dave School are fine IF you already have some strong training in the animation pipeline. However, I am NOT an animator nor even an artist. Thus, could have heard incorrectly.

Last edited by taxguy : 10-08-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Canderson
portfolio
Chris Anderson
Sacramento, USA

Our program is taught with the assumption that each student is computer literate, but has no experience in computer animation. Programs start with the very basics. Students with extensive 3D skills may find the first two weeks easy, but by the end of the third week, classes become challenging for everyone regardless of their background.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
dandeentremont

portfolio
Dan DeEntremont
VFX Artist
Muse VFX
LA, USA

I graduated from DAVE a few years ago and now work at Rhythm and Hues. I knew next to nothing about 3d before coming to the school. Aside from a ton of essential cgi techniques and skills, one of the most important things they teach there (which is often overlooked in many schools) is how a VFX production is run in the real world.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
TomThumb
Frequenter
portfolio
D.S. Williams
Midlothian, VA, USA

Well... since there are many industry professionals associated with the DAVE School, I would expect nothing less.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

Be aware of Dave School pricing.

Be aware of Dave School pricing. I believe that one year's tuition alone is $35,500. In contrast,this is higher than one year at Ringling. Even Gnomon, which charges $43,000, is for two years. Maybe it is worth it. However, they are charging a LOT of money for just one year of training.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Please note that schools are not allowed to advertise their courses here.

Thread Closed share thread