Interesting Article About the Cost of Unpaid Internships

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2009   #1
Interesting Article About the Cost of Unpaid Internships

This is an interesting article about how people are paying to get unpaid internships:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/b...ntern.html?8dpc

Just another way to buy into the system. Sad, but that's the way the world works, I guess.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2009   #2
This doesn't surprise me. The screwed up part of it is that most people will think of it as just another investment into getting a job, similar to buying a new suit for the interview, and so this will only continue to gain in popularity until eventually the companies offering the internships decide to cut the middleman out and keep the profit for themselves. Then all we have to worry about is the "fad" gaining even more popularity until we're all paying to work in an effort to avoid unemployement, wait, there are already union fees aren't there....lol jk (though not entirely)

Old 08 August 2009   #3
That's interesting and good to know, thanks for posting.

Old 08 August 2009   #4
The trend described in that article is extremely disturbing...

Old 08 August 2009   #5
Originally Posted by NetMapel: The trend described in that article is extremely disturbing...

unfortunately, as 3d and vfx jobs get more popular, this will only get worse.

More people looking for the same job= people doing anything to get it.

Old 08 August 2009   #6
You've got to be smart though, all because you can pay your way into an internship, doesn't mean you should - and might look bad in the long run.

Frankly I'm up for the challenge. I would tell these people: Go ahead, spend your money to get an unpaid internship. I'll get your job without spending a dime.

I will never, spend $8000 for a job that should be paying me. And if it's going to be an unpaid internship, I'd rather get it for free.

Truthfully though, I don't see this developing into much of an issue. For every company that uses services like these for their interns, there will be companies that don't. And frankly, if I were in charge of one of these studios, I'd rather have an intern who got the gig because of his skill, rather than his money. I bet the vast majority of these people will prove themselves to be quite unprepared for the work assigned to them.

Old 08 August 2009   #7
Frankly, I see schools and colleges picking up the slack.

Some schools today have a strong, integrated internship/coop program as part of their education. Examples of these are University of Cincinnati , Northeastern, Drexel, and Cal Poly and somewhat RIT.

If these firms start doing very well, I can see more colleges and schools jumping on the act and promising internships for their students who perform well. Many of these schools, particularly Northeastern and Drexel , already charge a lot of money for the internships! I can see many more schools also looking at this as a way to beef up their declining applications.

Old 08 August 2009   #8
I've been extremely well paid at Framestore London while I was an intern, but i learned next to nothing (besides self-taught renderman), whereas I'm not being paid this year but have a lot to do.

I much prefer not being paid and do actual work. Of course, real work and real money would be awesome.

Old 08 August 2009   #9
Originally Posted by berniebernie: I've been extremely well paid at Framestore London while I was an intern, but i learned next to nothing (besides self-taught renderman), whereas I'm not being paid this year but have a lot to do.

I much prefer not being paid and do actual work. Of course, real work and real money would be awesome.

Careful, that statement will have a lot of people here foaming at the mouth..FREE WORK!! You are selling out! You are lowering everyones net worth! You are stealing food from my kids mouth! You are letting them get away with it! They need to learn that people dont work for FREE! ARGHHH! etc etc....

LOL

Good on you for getting experience at Framestore. And good luck!

Old 08 August 2009   #10
Sadly that's the only way to break into this industry now. Work for free. If I was to add up all my internships for free I'd of worked 6 months for free at this point. I've been constantly told by people that my work is good enough to land a position or at least be put on a freelancers list.

Its as if when your in college, studios think that you should work for free no matter what. But if I were to drop out I'd automatically be put on those lists.

Or at least that's how the NYC market is. Pay your dues, save a company thousands by working for free. And a few projects down the line your bumped up to freelance.

Last edited by KrzysztofFus : 08 August 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old 08 August 2009   #11
It's my opinion that unpaid internships should be illegal. Work is work.

Companies aren't doing you a favor by providing training. We don't train juniors here because we want to enrich their lives, or provide them with better opportunities for their future. We train them so they can produce better work, and so we profit from their work more efficiently. Simple as that. Training a kid is a investment with some risk, because they could leave right away, and we could lose the chance to profit from them. But that is business. Risks and gambles. People that work for free take the risk out of the equation because the company is not losing any money if they leave. An investment with no risk sounds pretty one sided to me.

That being said, I think the companies are at fault here, not the artist.

Then again I change my mind all the time. Bring on the drones!! We should charge the new guys for their internships directly! We don't need these third party companies making money off of our internships.

Old 08 August 2009   #12
Originally Posted by nemotoad: It's my opinion that unpaid internships should be illegal. Work is work.

Companies aren't doing you a favor by providing training. We don't train juniors here because we want to enrich their lives, or provide them with better opportunities for their future. We train them so they can produce better work, and so we profit from their work more efficiently. Simple as that. Training a kid is a investment with some risk, because they could leave right away, and we could lose the chance to profit from them. But that is business. Risks and gambles. People that work for free take the risk out of the equation because the company is not losing any money if they leave. An investment with no risk sounds pretty one sided to me.

That being said, I think the companies are at fault here, not the artist.

Then again I change my mind all the time. Bring on the drones!! We should charge the new guys for their internships directly! We don't need these third party companies making money off of our internships.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 08 August 2009   #13
work is work. Get paid for it. As far as this article goes- Money talks and B.s. walks. The world is a stupid place. The economy must not be that bad if people are still shelling-out 10-grand with no return for it. I would sooner rob a liquor store for cash than pay someone to let me work for them for free. That's insane. My god, maybe Hell has froze over?

just remember people "you are not your Khaki's".

Old 08 August 2009   #14
P.s. George Carlin was right! They have come for us! Hell I remember a certain time when people had to work for free! It was called slavery! And it was abolished! Now they want us to PAY THEM to work for free! Is there even a word for that?

Old 08 August 2009   #15
Originally Posted by kandyRabitz22: Now they want us to PAY THEM to work for free! Is there even a word for that?
Unfortunately, "reality"? I don't like it, but there's nothing new about those with money getting ahead.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread