State of the animation career

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2009   #16
Here are some animations i've done. Do they tell anyone anything? Thats pretty much all i've done except for a little dabbling in the game Operation Flashpoint and all of the tutorials in the Maya 2009 trial software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx0CjBI55jc

Last edited by Libertine : 08 August 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Old 08 August 2009   #17
it's actually pretty decent for someone who's just starting out- but you're missing some fundamental concepts that are going to be obvious to anybody that knows what they're doing- for example, most of your movements happen simultaneously. in reality, all of our motions are offset by some degree or another. even when we blink our eyelids are slightly staggered. another fundamental that's missing is movement from the core. And also- getting the entire body involved with the animation. when you shift your weight, you feet will usually move at least slightly. With some of these movements, the legs and feet should be much more involved. If you want a challenge, try some of the fundamental concepts of animation like a box push, box lift, box pull, a run, a walk, and a jump. It's hard to tell exactly what concepts you understand from a few upper-body animations, but if you attempt one of the ones I just mentioned we can tell you exactly what you need to work on. Not to mention, until you can do those things at the very least- you are not an animator and will have a very difficult time getting a job.

but like I said, it's actually pretty decent for somebody who's just starting out with no training- if you find some sort of motivation to improve, then you could do well.

Old 08 August 2009   #18
Hey, thanks for taking the time to critique that, I appreciate it very much. I'm also happy to hear its over-all positive because those were specifically meant to be satisfactory, not high-quality, because the mod team its for is trying to meet a deadline for 1.0 release. I think i'll have the perfect thing for you to analyze coming up soon. I'm half-way through a drunk_idle animation which is ruffly 500 frames long. I have some bow and arrow animations to i'll also put up. I've got a deadline to choose whether or not to enter into a certification course, so I really appreciate the feedback!

Last edited by Libertine : 08 August 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08 August 2009   #19
Cool Libertine. The animation is a bit robotic, but I thought it was funny to see a medieval knight take a bottle out of his pocket and throw pills in his mouth.

Old 08 August 2009   #20
pretty much what others have been saying is on target.

as far as job hunting (especially on craigslist) i found a few gigs through there in the past and none of them were on the "job" board. My wife ended up finding her full time job there doing flash animation and design and this was all within the last few months.

try expanding your search a little bit. when i hammered it hard on the slow days I would search multiple things in multiple fields. animation, animator, maya, 3d, modeling, modeler, texturing, texture, rigging, etc etc. often times people would have vague adds that you wouldnt get any info out of and they would often times mean something else than what they wrote. Also search in gigs and etc sections. I would search outside of my area too, often times people in other states would be looking but they would be fine with people who tellecomute. its not full proof and its a lot more work to look but it paid off several times for me.

Old 08 August 2009   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread