Old 06-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
rashi
Frequenter
portfolio
rashiga walallawita
Colombo, Sri Lanka

posibility of doing phd in 3d animation

hi guys i hope this thread want be banned

im a sri lankan in sri lanka there's no art schools to do 3d animation(degree)

but i have a great passion and dedication for 3d animation

im currently studying to get to the computer engineering faculty in my university

so i would like to know is there any possibility that i can do my higher studies(masters/phd)i 3d animation?

thankyou

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Couture
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Couture
Canada

There are Masters degrees, but from what I gathered are only useful to have to be able to teach at accredited institutions. As far as a PHD, why would you want one in 3D animation? I don't believe such a thing exists anyhow.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
I'm sure I've seen a few animations which were a major part of a thesis. You have to be a bit creative, it can't be just a 3D animation (how is that research?) but maybe it could be related to virtual reality, new dynamic solvers, faster rendering algorithms, etc.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
rashi
Frequenter
portfolio
rashiga walallawita
Colombo, Sri Lanka

thanks guys any way i hate to be a engineer, coz my dad want me to be engineer,i just want to be a 3d artist but im not able to do my career in 3d in sri lanka coz there's not much industry here

so only option is to get abroad
and this cannot be done because my family dont have that kind f money

so the only possible way for me is to work hard and get to computer engineering and do masters or higher studies and get in to the industry

as long as i can do 3d stuff im happy to do what ever research and get into the industry

Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Paul McLaughlin
Know-it-All

Kevin Miles
USA

I've heard of someone getting a PhD in animation, so I think it's possible.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McLaughlin
I've heard of someone getting a PhD in animation, so I think it's possible.

But the real question is: why? I mean, it's not like it's going to increase your employability. All it's going to do is take up more of your time and more of your money when you could be working instead. Because, at the end of the day, it's your experience of working in the industry that really counts, and not your degrees or other qualifications. That's not to say that I think qualifications are worthless, but if you're struggling to find the money to fund degrees, then I don't understand why you'd want to go all the way to do a PhD when it's really not going to help you find a job.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

A PHD in animation sounds like some school trying to suck as much money as they can out of naive students. Leigh is absolutely right, I would save your money.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Getting a phd in animation is silly for reasons given above. However, getting a PhD in computer science, with a focus on graphics, seems reasonable. Many important developments in computer graphics have certainly come from the academic sphere.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Paul McLaughlin
Know-it-All

Kevin Miles
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
But the real question is: why? I mean, it's not like it's going to increase your employability. All it's going to do is take up more of your time and more of your money when you could be working instead. Because, at the end of the day, it's your experience of working in the industry that really counts, and not your degrees or other qualifications. That's not to say that I think qualifications are worthless, but if you're struggling to find the money to fund degrees, then I don't understand why you'd want to go all the way to do a PhD when it's really not going to help you find a job.

You are talking to someone who dropped out of college 5 credit hours away from a degree.

I did it on principle.

In regards to the animation PhD question, I was just passing along information. Not offering advice.

Last edited by Paul McLaughlin : 06-16-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
If you want an advanced program
check out Carnegie Mellon university.
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
They do have a very advanced program, and their international studies programs are
very extensive.
-R

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/they
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06-16-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Paul McLaughlin
Know-it-All

Kevin Miles
USA

Yeah, but that college is full of nerds.

Do you want poindexter on your beer pong team... NO.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #12
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McLaughlin
You are talking to someone who dropped out of college 5 credit hours away from a degree.

I did it on principle.

In regards to the animation PhD question, I was just passing along information. Not offering advice.

Errmm... what principle exactly? Did it work?

(Who are you being defensive to by the way, the post you responded to is clearly to the OP, not you or anyone else in the thread, unless you are the OP on another account that is).

Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Novakog
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Helmer
Software Engineer
Google
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
If you want an advanced program
check out Carnegie Mellon university.
http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/
They do have a very advanced program, and their international studies programs are
very extensive.
-R

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/they

Those programs aren't in 3D animation though, they're just computer graphics from a computer science/programming perspective. If he were doing that, anywhere with top notch CS programs is going to be good - Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cornell, MIT, UC San Diego, and yeah Carnegie Mellon.

As others said, a PhD in 3D animation is not likely to be very useful, if it does even exist anywhere. PhD's are generally useful if you want to pursue academia and research; if you want to be a hands-on 3D artist, than just spending that time working on your abilities is likely to be much more beneficial.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:35 AM   #14
rashi
Frequenter
portfolio
rashiga walallawita
Colombo, Sri Lanka

hmmm so it seems that my decision of going for a master or a phd is waist of time and money,so i think i must at least try to get a freelance job

and sheepfactory i checked the courses available in the link that you have provided it seems its all about research and i think i'll be missing all the fun in the industry doing the fun stuff

i think i''l have to do more research in this question before going for a decision

any way thanks all of you guys for taking time for replying

Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #15
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Honestly, with the constantly shifting landscape of this industry and the tools, it's hard to imagine a phd in anything but pure r&d (as opposed to animation production, where the best school would be on the job).

On the other hand, it would be a crack-up to have a dinner party where one of your guests is choking on a chicken bone and someone says, "Is there a doctor in the house?!" and you would be able to answer "yes" to that question.

Thread Closed share thread