Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You will learn far more from brutally honest critiques than you ever would from any other kinds of critique. (Brutally honest doesn't mean degrading or mean-spirited--It just means in total honesty without sugar-coating.)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
MrPositive
I got your freakin post

portfolio
C Positive
3D Art Instructor
Poland

Send a message via Yahoo to MrPositive
One of the largest leaps we made as a program was taking upon myself to force the students to look at the CG Choice images for a half an hour on cgtalk, then watching Siggraph Animation Theatre movies for the next hour on the first day of class. I then force all my students to sign up to the site. Lastly, I end by saying, "that's your competition", and not the local crap that you think is good. At first, they were frightened to look at such high quality work, but then it subsided eventually. If you don't know where the mountain top is, then how can you achieve it? Most schools set the bar so low, that the students have no clue what a professional piece even is (I know because I've now taught CG at 3 separate schools and most places are simply atrocious in the instruction department). The job of a good instructor is not just to exponentially quicken the speed of learning, but to also create appropriate expectations for employment (a high bar), and lastly to expose them to the best materials. One advantage our students also get is they have access to over 200 DVD tutorials from Gnomon/Gnomonology, Digital Tutors, etc., every single 3D World magazine, and the best computers within 500 miles and a render farm (aka 'things they simply cannot afford'). Several of the 'artsy' instructors also somewhat forced a merger with the art school, that we will be starting next year. I'd definitely also like to think I've had some part in our major success stories, as no other school at least in our region is having as much consistency of employment. Obviously, in the end, it eventually comes down to the drive and talent of the student however. We can't walk anybody to the finish line, but we can give you the red pill at least. Shrug.

Last edited by MrPositive : 05-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
Eklectique
3D Generalist

portfolio
Omar Ramirez
General Organizer
Animadores GDL
Guadalajara, Mexico

@RockstarKate

I want to think I'm ready for the "college" level of critique. But yeah, This forum is quite intimidating o_O.

@MrPositive

I shall, I'm just about to post a WIP of a character refference sheet I'm working on...

Actually, let me post it before I post this so I can give the link...

... Done, here's the [link] and I know I'll be torn to pieces... oh well.

And I agree, You never get harsh critique from DA.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #19
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Though the focus is not primarily on animation, you will get good suggestions on specific ways in which to go about improving your understanding of human form here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads

I moderate the forum, I promise you'll get friendly and constructive feedback. Everyone has to work hard to get to where they're going - school is a starting point, but not an ending point. Use the existing free resources as many have and you can only improve. As inspiration, check out razz's thread.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 05-15-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #20
Eklectique
3D Generalist

portfolio
Omar Ramirez
General Organizer
Animadores GDL
Guadalajara, Mexico

@Rebeccak

Thank you very much, that really is helpful!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread