Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
phantomworkshop
Know-it-All

J
Student
Boynton Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to phantomworkshop Send a message via Yahoo to phantomworkshop
Quote:
Hey there, I mentioned some local ccs in an earlier post. The advantage of Otis is you get a unified approach to drawing, vs. several scattered classes which you have to decide about and coordinate. Going through a foundation year with a cohort of students is beneficial because everyone is swimming in the same direction, which means you bond with students, but also that you have peer pressure to force you (if you are a good student) to move forward and to be competitive. This is vs. studying in a cc, where you will have that group pressure only on a per class basis, not on the basis of an entire unified program that has been crafted over several decades of pedagogy. CCs will save you a ton of money, but it's up to you to ensure that you come out of that experience with a good portfolio, and it means researching classes and teachers. The downside of only doing a foundation year at Otis and then attending Otis is, as I mentioned earlier, not getting a degree. Which is why I pointed out Ringling and SCAD (or AAU) as "full package" options.

Are there any other 4 year reputable schools for 3D/Computer Animation besides AAU in Cali that you'd recommend? I'm looking into Otis' program as well as the California ccs to get started. I can't thank you enough!

Quote:
I'm not as familiar with the Academy of Art (AAU SF) - I've heard mixed things. In some ways they're like the Art Institutes, but in the case of the Academy of Art in SF, I've heard it's the best of that chain, and some really good traditional artists teach there. The problem with the school is that, like the AI, they don't require an entry portfolio, which means they are about $ and not quality of the students they let in - I hear they let everyone in, then weed them out. This isn't especially good for the good students who want to be in a competitive environment. Having said that, I've heard anecdotally it can be a good school, I've seen some great traditional art portfolios come out of there on conceptart.org, and one of my cc students decided to attend their masters program for Animation. The also have a full ecorche sculpting class which is of benefit to aspiring modelers. The best thing is to contact students from the school to get their perspective. You might contact this person.

I've heard mixed things as well, but I was curious as to what you've heard. It would however be nice to just be in one school instead of switching after a year, ya know? Unless I go the Gnomon route after my year at Otis. I've messaged Tracy, thank you for that link.

Quote:
Welp, I think that's plenty of information to get you started. Good luck!

You've gone above and beyond the call. Thank you again so much and please keep in touch

Last edited by phantomworkshop : 03-27-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #32
phantomworkshop
Know-it-All

J
Student
Boynton Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to phantomworkshop Send a message via Yahoo to phantomworkshop
Quote:
Could be worst I guess, some schools don't weed them out and they recieve good grade averages to make the school's quotas. This is why the employer has to judge the work and not just the degree.

At my age, I went to school when their wasn't computers, so I do have "somewhat" of a traditional schooling and natural talent. However with computers I am completely self taught and in a traditional manner with books. Then DVDs started to boom and that made learning so much easier.

I have employed artist over the internet, and I care nothing about their degree. I would like better e-commerce so I can pay $ with less e-transfer fees.

Yeah, I see what you mean I wanted to say thank you for your posts as well in this forum where we're all trying to figure out my future lol.

It's appreciated.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #33
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomworkshop
Are there any other 4 year reputable schools for 3D/Computer Animation besides AAU in Cali that you'd recommend? I'm looking into Otis' program as well as the California ccs to get started. I can't thank you enough!
Unfortunately and ironically, I can't. :/ It's not because I haven't heard of them, it's because I don't think better ones exist. Times are trying for students with your area of interest. There is the AI Los Angeles, but I've never in 4 years of being on CGTalk seen a reel from there - the main benefit I can see in going there would be to finish out your degree to have the paper, then further study at a better school. Good luck.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03-28-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #34
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread