Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Duhjin
portfolio
Duhjin
Jedi
springfield, USA

CG animation schools to rich for my blood

Is there such a School that is can teach me the skillz to put out good looking work and not empty my pockets at the same time? Also are there any good CG animation schools in N.Y. ?

thanks

Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
KrzysztofFus
Frequenter
portfolio
Krzysztof Fus
Modeler/Character TD
Los Angeles, USA

School of Visual Arts

SVA in NYC is the best CG school in the North East. And a large number of their graduating class get jobs in the Industry.

SVA is probably the 3rd best school for visual effects for film.

SVA is rated #13 in Computer Animation WorldWide

Plus, there are hundreds of studios now in the Northeast that do Commercial Work.
Job prospects are very high.

One setback is that tuition is 25k a year.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Or how about you get off your own ass and do it yourself?

Go and get some books, dvds, software etc and just do it yourself. With The Animator's Survival Kit you have enough to get practicing with.

Get Blender, TrueSpace, Maya PLE, Houdini Apprentice, Messiah - or whatever - and go for it. True, you'll spend the first month or so trying to figure out the interface, but if you have a manual then its not exactly rocket science is it...

I know this is like a slap in the face, but the best thing for you right now is to just do it.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
anobrin
Effects Fanatic

portfolio
Anabran Abdhul Quarnain
Self employed
New York City, United States

Agreed!
The web is like a FREE school if you are wiling to look for the resources
and USE them

Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Duhjin
portfolio
Duhjin
Jedi
springfield, USA

question still remains

did it, done it, doing it now. I understand if you got the skillz you should be able to get a job, I'm working on it. And the tone in your type sounds like you can learn everything by yourself. And you make it seem like school is pointless, or at most not worth $40.000. I do somewhat agree but I would like to work with professionals and learn side by side with them. However the question still stands. Are there any good schools that wont cost me an arm and a leg to go to, and are there any good schools in N.Y... I would love to hear from people that made it into the business and how they did it. If you dont mind shearing your stories with the future competition =P thanks

Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

you get what you pay for and any decent school is going to cost a good penny. Even a lot of ones I'd stay far away form will cost a fair bit too.

The only other serious option is to just study yourself, and post your works for critiques from other skilled people, but it will be a slower and more difficult road, and you may develop bad habits and such. I do think learning on your own is really viable route for CG but if your concerned with getting up to snuff fast and getting out there a good school will be worth it.

Its not about the degree or diploma at the end either, so don't concern yourself with what program will get you a BA or anything like that, concern yourself with schools that will cover what you need in an appropriate length of time with instructors who have relevant experience in the industry. This will cut out most standard institutions such as public colleges and universities. Look at schools that studios recommend on their sites. Don't go to a school thinking its half the price or even less and think it will get you the right kind of training.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhjin
did it, done it, doing it now. I understand if you got the skillz you should be able to get a job, I'm working on it. And the tone in your type sounds like you can learn everything by yourself. And you make it seem like school is pointless, or at most not worth $40.000. I do somewhat agree but I would like to work with professionals and learn side by side with them. However the question still stands. Are there any good schools that wont cost me an arm and a leg to go to, and are there any good schools in N.Y... I would love to hear from people that made it into the business and how they did it. If you dont mind shearing your stories with the future competition =P thanks

If you want to work with professionals and learn from them then go to meet ups and events. I've met alot of skilled professionals(yes, even those who actually work on film productions) just by saying "Okay, lets all meet up". If you are willing to listen and take note then someone will take you under their wing. Buying someone a drink and using MSN can go alot further than you think...

Regarding "learn everything by yourself"; with some roles you will require proper training - for example; being a Doctor or a Solider. But for us artists we can be a bit more flexible in how we get our knowledge and experience. Teaching yourself requires a lot of self discipline and dedication, so dont think for a minute that I'm saying that its easy, because its not. There is always going to be a time when you ask others for guidence...

But here is a good start: learn enough to start an animation WIP. Models do not need to be textured and rendering can be simple playblasts. Post it in the WIPs section and you'll usually get good feedback from professionals who know what they are talking about.

Anyway, the best of luck to you.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

I can tell you one thing. No one will want you if you continually think spelling skills with a zed (z) at the end is OK. It is NOT ok to be intentionally ignorant.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Stormy151
Know-it-All
portfolio
Patrick Beals
Concept Artist/Prop Designer/Graphic Artist`
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to Stormy151
Quote:

I've found that anything "Good" usually isn't "cheap". So how much do you consider not an "arm and a leg"?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Duhjin
portfolio
Duhjin
Jedi
springfield, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
I can tell you one thing. No one will want you if you continually think spelling skills with a zed (z) at the end is OK. It is NOT ok to be intentionally ignorant.

I didnít know I had to have such proper technical writing SKILLS when writing in forums. I thought forums are a place of playful writing. . Also should I use APA style? Is it ok to put lol? Or should I spell it out, laughing out loudÖ As you could have guessed Iím just fooling around and busting your chops and I hope you are too. If I knew spelling skills with a Z would make you that upset I would have never done it. Sorry for upsetting you. And thanks for your help it will be very useful in the future.

Thanks Duhjin

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Duhjin
portfolio
Duhjin
Jedi
springfield, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy151
I've found that anything "Good" usually isn't "cheap". So how much do you consider not an "arm and a leg"?

Not having a lot of money I just want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for myself. maybe I'm better off continuing the path I'm on. But its so slow and I just want to be around it and involved in the industry 24/7 first things first I know I have to put together my demo reel and I guess I'll see were that takes me.

I would still love to hear how people broke into the industry if you feel like shearing.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
I would still love to hear how people broke into the industry if you feel like shearing.

People already shared that countless times in past threads.
The #1 mad skill you should come to terms with for self-teaching is using the search button in sites like this, and taking advantage of resources like www.google.com

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Duhjin
portfolio
Duhjin
Jedi
springfield, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
People already shared that countless times in past threads.
The #1 mad skill you should come to terms with for self-teaching is using the search button in sites like this, and taking advantage of resources like www.google.com

Your a 100% right... I'm on it. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

Im not sure how it works in the USA, but over here, alot of the time students in the Uk can get help with paying for universities etc.

Ok, most people will say, dont go to a university or college that doesnt have much wieght behind, well i say take that with a pinch of salt.

There are two ways, learn at home, or learn at college/ university.

If you decide to go to a college or university and get a diploma or degree, you'll have 3 years of access to instant feedback from lecturers, aswell as the resources offered by the college etc, also they will teach you things, that perhaps you wouldnt study when learning by yourself, such as how to manage projects and money, how to set up small studios/ business, how to interact with clients and a whole host of other various topics.

Even if they dont teach the fundamentals, that' something you can learn at home, along with studying at college/ uni. you also have 2/3 years of developing your skills and producing a demo reel that will be extremley polished.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Your a 100% right... I'm on it. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

You seem to at least be starting with the right foot when it comes to handling criticism.
If you can keep it up when it comes to your work, and you're focused and self-motivated enough in your work, you'll do just fine with the self-teaching path.
Probably more people than not that are in positions of any relevance in the games and vfx industries right now haven't received related high education, if any education at all some times.

As trite as it sounds, if you're from a first world country, of average or better intelligence, and have no visa or legal issues, it's entirely and solely up to you and your dedication whether you'll succeed in getting a job in this field or not.

Free Maya Nodes

Thread Closed share thread