Something That My Design School Gave Me That Has Me CONFUSED!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2008   #1
Something That My Design School Gave Me That Has Me CONFUSED!

So im starting college on Oct 6th at IADT (International Academy for Design and Technology) and im studying for a BS degree in Game Design. So i went today to get my books and I.D and all that stuff. I was supprised at how much extra stuff they give you that you would have to actually pay for. BUT GET THIS! When i went home and opened up all my stuff guess what they gave me and probably every student, playing cards and dice? yea, what? It was included in a proper design kit and everything. Everything they gave me was to do with what courses i had for the semester, i have drawing so they gave me drawing pads and supplies, i have intro to game design, so they gave me 3d design and animation books. I was thinking they gave it to me for my math classes but i dont have any this semester and i only have college algebra and Logic.

So my question to you guys, and guys who have gone to game design schools, is there any significance with the cards and dice? Does that help with anything to do with game design? Or am i just blowing this WAY out of preportion.

Ive got pics of what they gave me including the cards and dice on my blog HERE.

Old 09 September 2008   #2
They're for gambling, silly. Now grab a couple of fellow students and start taking bets

Or maybe they handed them out as a reminder that the simplest games are sometimes the best?

Old 09 September 2008   #3
Originally Posted by noouch: They're for gambling, silly. Now grab a couple of fellow students and start taking bets

Or maybe they handed them out as a reminder that the simplest games are sometimes the best?

lol, gambling, i actually first though they gave that to us for ratio and probability. But thats a good thought, simplest games are sometimes the best.

Old 09 September 2008   #4
Originally Posted by SacredM: is there any significance with the cards and dice? Does that help with anything to do with game design?

Card games.
Dice games.

Old 09 September 2008   #5
A subtle hint that tuition is going up and loan assistance is going away?

Old 09 September 2008   #6
so you can become a lvl 10 D&D master of course.

Old 09 September 2008   #7
its a hint that says going to that school is a 30000 dollar gamble...but you keep the dice even if you fail.

Old 09 September 2008   #8
If you want to be a great game designer, as with anything, you NEED to understand the fundamentals. Think of every board game you have ever played, and probably 99.99 percent of them had cards, dice, or both. The fact is, games were around in humanity long before VIDEO games were, and ALL video games (yes ALL) carry mechanics passed down from old pen and paper table-top games, or card and dice games.
For example, every RPG game ever made contains mechanics that relate to building a set of character stats as you progress through the game. Sound familiar?
Yes...every RPG video game owes homage to Dungeons & Dragons. The dice provide a core mathematical mechanic of figuring damage, character stats, and indeed nearly every other aspect of character interaction in the game. Even FPS and Fighting games owe a debt to classic table top gaming. I could go on about Shadowrun, Rifts, Axis and Allies, and all manner of other card, dice, and pen and paper games, but the point I will try to make is that if you want to learn to be a great game designer, the cards and dice you recieved will be key instruments in your education.
I have a feeling you will be required at some point to make a game using either/or. If you can make a fun game using only the basic tools, you can make any game great, and not just a pretty looking game with hollow boring gameplay, (I'm looking at you Crysis).

Old 09 September 2008   #9
think about it.

dice and cards are not games they are an aparatus which you invent a game around.

can you invent a new card game? or a new dice game?

or a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?

now your thinking ;-)

Old 09 September 2008   #10
Originally Posted by blank: a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?

I would totally play this.

Old 09 September 2008   #11
In any case - they got you thinking, and that's probably the most important thing in college.

Old 09 September 2008   #12
Originally Posted by DeVangiel: If you want to be a great game designer, as with anything, you NEED to understand the fundamentals. Think of every board game you have ever played, and probably 99.99 percent of them had cards, dice, or both. The fact is, games were around in humanity long before VIDEO games were, and ALL video games (yes ALL) carry mechanics passed down from old pen and paper table-top games, or card and dice games.
For example, every RPG game ever made contains mechanics that relate to building a set of character stats as you progress through the game. Sound familiar?
Yes...every RPG video game owes homage to Dungeons & Dragons. The dice provide a core mathematical mechanic of figuring damage, character stats, and indeed nearly every other aspect of character interaction in the game. Even FPS and Fighting games owe a debt to classic table top gaming. I could go on about Shadowrun, Rifts, Axis and Allies, and all manner of other card, dice, and pen and paper games, but the point I will try to make is that if you want to learn to be a great game designer, the cards and dice you recieved will be key instruments in your education.
I have a feeling you will be required at some point to make a game using either/or. If you can make a fun game using only the basic tools, you can make any game great, and not just a pretty looking game with hollow boring gameplay, (I'm looking at you Crysis).

i see what you saying man, you got to learn the basics first, you cant learn to run before you can learn to walk. Thanks.

Old 09 September 2008   #13
You're welcome SacredM, In my design school we not only had to make card games and dice games, but Completely new table-top games from nothing more than cut out squares of paper for our units, and a pencil map drawn on large paper.

Granted, later on we made cool looking units and stuff in photoshop and cut them out with a plotter , but the basics were ingrained into our skulls.

We also had to make games from random Items, once me and my team made a game out of a pool noodle, squishy plush ball, toothpicks, and a wiffle ball.

You really have to dig deep into that imagination part that made up games when you were a kid.

I really recommend playing not only lots of video games, but try playing many different table-top games, everything from your standard card games, to insanely complex games like Magic or Warhammer and HeroClix.

Good luck in your education!

Old 09 September 2008   #14
Originally Posted by DeVangiel: You're welcome SacredM, In my design school we not only had to make card games and dice games, but Completely new table-top games from nothing more than cut out squares of paper for our units, and a pencil map drawn on large paper.

Granted, later on we made cool looking units and stuff in photoshop and cut them out with a plotter , but the basics were ingrained into our skulls.

We also had to make games from random Items, once me and my team made a game out of a pool noodle, squishy plush ball, toothpicks, and a wiffle ball.

You really have to dig deep into that imagination part that made up games when you were a kid.

I really recommend playing not only lots of video games, but try playing many different table-top games, everything from your standard card games, to insanely complex games like Magic or Warhammer and HeroClix.

Good luck in your education!

ill definitely think up games with cards and dice, and thanks again!

Old 09 September 2008   #15
Originally Posted by blank: t
or a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?

now your thinking ;-)

Holy crap! DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

Thread Closed share thread