CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
twedzel
Flaming Badger
Brian Harder
Canada

I had a prof back in university who could teach creativity. But there was no one way she did it. She was extremely creative and motivated and it caught on with us. She was very hard on us, never letting us accept the status quo or be complacent. If we were working in a way that was formulaic she'd call us on it. Everybody in her class rose above where they were and did some pretty cool stuff. It was really impressive to see. How she did it, I don't really know. Really she leads by example and accepts no less from her students. So I know creativity can be taught, or at least I guess nutured.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #17
unparent
Frequenter

keith bruns
senior technical artist
Kojima Productions Los Angeles
los angeles, USA

I went to a small school in Tennessee in the mid-late '90s and the 2 teachers running the program were amazing. It was an incredibly tough school but produced results. My graduating class and the one before it (which was less than 20 people), nearly everyone got good jobs and has gone on to work for places like Naughty Dog, Valve, Sucker Punch, Rockstar, founder of Bottlerocket Studios, SOE, SCEA, EA, MTV, Sigil Games, Idol Minds, and several others.

Personally I feel creatativity cannot be taught, it can only be nurtured and focused. The correct word IMHO is Passion. If they aren't passionate then they won't be creative and do more than the bare minimum. Most of us aren't passionate about math (or insert hated subject here), so when doing the assignments, you don't research it and find out more about it for FUN. No, you finish the 10 questions and close the book, same thing here.

Part of the teachers job is to help the students find their passion for the aspects that got them interested in 3D/art to begin with. There has to be a spark in the student for the teacher to pick up on to help guide them, if there is no spark, then not much you can do. What's a worse situation, learning in school that you don't have the chops or coming out with a bad reel, no real job prospects, and debt? Challenge the ones you connect with, and do your best with the rest.

-unparent

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread