Wanting to go to DeVry University.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
So Devry is not a good option. What are some other online schools? I have checked out animationmentor.com. They only offer a certificate. What I'm asking i guess is does matter if the degree is there or not or is a cerificate (and of course the skill and desire) enough to get an entry level job with no experience? Devry offers more programming and math related to programming. is this irrelevant if someone wants to be an animator?

02 February 2008
Skill and desire is enough to get you an entry level job. Emphasis on the skill part. If you want to be an animator, am is your best bet being that you'll be doing only animation and you have professional critiques. Programming(while helpful in some areas) is pretty much irrelevant if you want to be an animator.

02 February 2008
Originally Posted by twok12: What I'm asking i guess is does matter if the degree is there or not or is a cerificate (and of course the skill and desire) enough to get an entry level job with no experience?

That appears to be a mashup of multiple questions. Give clear questions and you'll get clear answers. Give vague ramblings of something resembling multiple questions, and you might get a couple of responses that probably won't answer what you meant to ask in the first place.

But we'll over-look that for now...

First, read this>>> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=372592

Next,

Quote: What I'm asking i guess is does matter if the degree is there or not or is a cerificate

What to ever work outside the country (like, perhaps, London)? If so, get a 4-yr degree so it'll be easier to get work visas to go abroad.

Quote: is a cerificate (and of course the skill and desire) enough to get an entry level job with no experience?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Hell No!

Reason:

If you don't have experience, and you don't even have a certificate from a school, then that basically means the skills you can demonstrate to an employer is the ability to load Solitaire... maybe. You walk up to a place with no experience and no schooling to show for, then you're considered unskilled labor.

Now, if you had a certificate, you'd be 'slightly' better. The certificate tells employers that you probably good enough to come out of whatever program the certificate came from. So, if the school the certificate came from has a _very_ good reputation, then it has some value. Keep in mind though the door swings both ways on this; if you put too much emphasis on your certificate and it came from a bad program, you're making your chances even worse.

What really matters: Portfolio and Demo Reel. These two are what employers care about. Ideally, when searching for a school you want two things: Training for working in a production pipeline (Yes, even concept artists since their work leads to the production work later.), and creating work to put in your portfolio and/or demo reel.

I hope my words made sense. if so, then good luck!

02 February 2008
Yes, sorry about the blurrr. I am enrolled at Devry and not very far in the course. I am only able train or pursue my education online because it would not be feasible for me to move to a campus anywhere. What I am wondering now, would it be better for me to transfer to Animation Mentor if I want to continue to pursue this as a career? I am learning slowly on my own and feel I would need some form of instruction to become a better artist and skilled using Maya.

02 February 2008
The things you will learn from animationMentor will be 10000000x more useful than anything you'll ever learn at Devry.

02 February 2008
Does anybody know anything about this site, 3dtraining.com. It seems to be cheaper than animation mentor.

02 February 2008
I went to Westcrap....oh I mean Westwood college and waisted time and money at that place. Like others have said these schools are in it for the money. I learned more on my own (because I wanted to learn 3D with a passion) than I did at the school. Get some Gnomon DVD's and some lynda.com dvd's and you'll be ok. But search state schools some are starting to get animation and 3d design you just have to do your research. Wish you the best.

02 February 2008
If you live in the Los Angeles area, I would recommend Santa Monica City College. Yes, it's like a community college, I believe, and I've been hearing nothing but good reviews about it. My friend goes there and judging by what I've seen from his works, he's learning a lot. Plus, the tuition is wayyyyyyy cheaper than most trade schools.

I personally went to ITT TECH .....biggest mistake of my life! Not only do I have to pay back the loans ($40,000+) for the worthless piece of crap edumacation I received, but I honestly feel I wasted two years of my life on something I could've learned myself. Like someone before my reply stated, whatever I learned, I did it on my own. Meaning, I would suggest you give it a shot on your own. Buy those video tutorials and bust your behind off and you'll have more knowledge than students coming out of Vancouver Film School or whatever school is popular nowadays. Take my advice if you'd like or don't...it's up to you. I'm just here to give you my perspective on this whole school rip-off scam thing (that's the way I see it at least).

02 February 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread