Fine Arts VS Graphic Design? Degree/Career advice! And a few questions :v

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Fine Arts VS Graphic Design? Degree/Career advice! And a few questions :v

Hi!
I'm currently in high school, and I need some future career advice. I would love to pursue a career in illustration and 2d art(maybe 3d and animation later? who knows) but I'm not sure which degree is better or "more helpful". I have never tried to draw anything digitally before, although I'm planning to start very soon. How different is drawing in photoshop or illustrator from traditional art? Can I carry over my skills as a traditional artist into these programs easily? Do I have to learn completely new techniques or is it just about getting used to the different medium?

Sorry if this has been discussed several times before. I'm very anxious about this topic and would really appreciate any kinds of clarification and advice.

Thanks in advance.

02 February 2018
I'd personally go for the Graphic Design degree, like you I've always loved to draw but I felt I needed to cover more bases than purely being an illustrator. I did this over 20 years ago and I don't regret it. Even in a generic graphic design role you'll often get asked to draw something for a client.
Regarding drawing in software, just look on the forum. There's plenty of masterpieces on show and rendered digitally. Photoshop is the popular choice but corel painter is also very good as long as you use it with a graphics tablet. Drawing in illustrator could be more of a challenge than photoshop as you work with vectors and generally I find that requires a mouse more than a stylus. It's great for creating graphics as you can blow it up to huge sizes for posters, banners etc. These are all 2D software and I'm just starting myself on 3D so can't be that helpful I'm afraid.
The bottom line is that with the ability to draw you can carry this over to digital without too much hassle, I couldn't believe it when I first encountered a stylus for drawing. I thought 'where's this been all my life'. This is all based on my own experience, you'll talk to someone else who'll say the fine art. Both routes have their merits and their downsides.

reply share thread