Career Path/salary Help: Modeling vs. Rigging

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Career Path/salary Help: Modeling vs. Rigging

Hi all!

I'm a current MS Visualization student at Texas A&M University, and am torn between at least 2 areas of the 3D pipeline that I'd like to focus on as my future career/job title:
- Modeling/Surfacing & Texturing: I love modeling and texturing (learning Substance Painter, and have some knowledge of Renderman Shaders (including wirting old RSL .rib files and shaders)
- Rigging/Character Setup: I took a class on scripted (Maya: Python and/or MEL) rigging where my interest in rigging grew exponentially.

I feel modeling is my strength, and think my background in graphic design will help me grow as a texture artist. However, I have a feeling that rigging pays more and would be a less flooded job market.

Any information on these specific job fields, or on what to expect within them, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HarvestrX : 12 December 2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: change title

01 January 2018
I wouldn't base career simply by the fact the area is less flooded. I'd say rigging is one-time investment, as it's not that rapidly changing and is a more technical area. But it will take at least half a year to properly study it. From another point, it will help you in understanding how to prepare characters better, and also better present them posing.
I'd say learn sub-d modeling first, and then rigging, as rigging is a more advanced discipline, and requires good understanding of topology.

reply share thread