What it takes to get in the Game industry?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2016
What it takes to get in the Game industry?

I am soon to finish high school and in need to pick a college(if thats how its called) to go to. Now im having a lot of conflict as to what college i should go to,as it determines what i will do in life.

So im currently finishing engineer high school and "looking" to go to a state engineer college as that way if i am good enough of a student i wont have to pay for it.The reason why im "looking" for a engineer college is cause thats the thing i like the most after modeling and doing art in general (which is my hobby currently).
What i really wanna do as my job,or do in life generally is work in a game industry,or somewhere as a artist/designer to make new worlds and make miracles happen .

Now what i am afraid is that if i go to a engineer college that it will suck all the free time i have (because engineer college is really hard here) and that i will lose focus is my hobby.

And my biggest fear is that i could newer possibly be as good as people who pay a lot to go to a college for 3d graphics or related (vfx studio traning center stuff like that).

So im just asking and desperately wanting a explanation as to do you really need a diploma and to go to a college in order to end up in a game studio or something similar to that?

Is it possible to focus on it even when you are going to a college not related to it? :S

03 March 2016
Quote: So im just asking and desperately wanting a explanation as to do you really need a diploma and to go to a college in order to end up in a game studio or something similar to that?

No.

Whether formal training or self taught, you're more than likely landing a role based upon your abilities rather than a piece of paper. As with other fields of the entertainment industry, generally is a highly competitive environment, and furthermore can be volatile in terms of employment stability. Now that in mind its prudent I think, too continue as you are onto Engineering College as a backup, whilst teaching yourself via online tutorial libraries such as Digital Tutors, Gnomon Workshop...etc.

I know its a hassle, but you've got to find the time. Believe me you wont be alone, at an educated guess there'll be a few artists in the same situation here on CGTalk, me included, if that makes you feel any better. Now if doable, a tip:

- Tailor a study plan and STICK TO IT. download student licences (if not already done so) plus same for other software packages you're likely to need as you progress, quite helpful in terms of overall costs, when a student. Also importantly pace yourself, if things begin taking a toll, STOP have a break as long as you wish to avoid losing motivation, I mean we've all been there. Lastly another avenue I'll mention to keep yourself motivated, is to start an online WIP, hopefully attracting peer critique, which again serves not only as an incentive to finish something but learning process as well.

Either way you eventually decide, good luck

03 March 2016
Quote: Whether formal training or self taught, you're more than likely landing a role based upon your abilities rather than a piece of paper. As with other fields of the entertainment industry, generally is a highly competitive environment, and furthermore can be volatile in terms of employment stability. Now that in mind its prudent I think, too continue as you are onto Engineering College as a backup, whilst teaching yourself via online tutorial libraries such as Digital Tutors, Gnomon Workshop...etc.

I have been asking the same question on multiple places to see what i get.And yeah,its mostly what you said.The skills only matter not the qualifications.And i decided...or well is the only option to me to go to engineer college so i can get to earn money as quickly as possible and its a safe option.As currently im in a poor county and low on money which doesn't help with any of the things so its even harder for me.

Quote: I know its a hassle, but you've got to find the time. Believe me you wont be alone, at an educated guess there'll be a few artists in the same situation here on CGTalk, me included, if that makes you feel any better.

Oh believe me it does help i know its not a good thing but at least im somewhat relieved knowing that i am not the only one in the sauce.

Quote: - Tailor a study plan and STICK TO IT. download student licences (if not already done so) plus same for other software packages you're likely to need as you progress, quite helpful in terms of overall costs, when a student. Also importantly pace yourself, if things begin taking a toll, STOP have a break as long as you wish to avoid losing motivation, I mean we've all been there. Lastly another avenue I'll mention to keep yourself motivated, is to start an online WIP, hopefully attracting peer critique, which again serves not only as an incentive to finish something but learning process as well.

And what do you mean by student license? you mean to download the packages with a students license?
Im currently studying blender as it looks and feels great to me and its free!
And yeah im a little bit short on money,so ive been watching some tutorials on CGcookie and on youtube,and i have my own notebook where i write anything that i have learned as its hard to remember everything for school+this
And there is no time for losing motivation,you just need to keep going
And what do you mean by a online WIP? you mean setting a somewhat of a portfolio of unfinished work for people to see?

And thats so much for replying it does help me a lot!

03 March 2016
Originally Posted by NIKOLAPAVIC: I have been asking the same question on multiple places to see what i get.And yeah,its mostly what you said.The skills only matter not the qualifications.And i decided...or well is the only option to me to go to engineer college so i can get to earn money as quickly as possible and its a safe option.As currently im in a poor county and low on money which doesn't help with any of the things so its even harder for me.
D

Thats an important circumstance actually. You didn't say which country you are from. But it is quite likely it will help to have a degree (proper-NOT just a diploma) -even if in engineering- if you plan on working abroad. It helps your 'work experience profile' for many international visa applications. You can get there without one but you may need up to 10 years of work experience already if that is the case. This can make it tough for a Junior artist to get that first international games gig. But a Senior will have less trouble (because they have the years of experience).

Something to consider in your case-but otherwise you don't need to learn games at a school I agree.

Last edited by circusboy : 03 March 2016 at 04:31 PM.

03 March 2016
Originally Posted by NIKOLAPAVIC: And what do you mean by student license? you mean to download the packages with a students license?

Nowadays some industry recognised software vendors, have various licencing plans (agreement how a software copy can be used)available for purchasing/learning their products ie:

Trial, Subscription, Educational, Student (free)

Vendors
2D
Adobe - Photoshop

3D
Autodesk - 3ds Max, Maya

Surfacing
Pixologic - ZBrush
Autodesk - Mudbox

As an enrolled student, you're eligible in downloading a full release but limited too personal use only. Also although Blender is a great package to learn starting out, however at the moment not widely integrated within professional games production pipelines. So my advice is to switch toolsets too, either 3ds Max or Maya, if you intend at some point in the future a career as a Games Artist.

Quote: And what do you mean by a online WIP? you mean setting a somewhat of a portfolio of unfinished work for people to see?

I meant a work in progress personal project, that's interesting for you to create, could be anything you like 2D Composited Image, 3D Model, Animation sequence, Digital Painting/Sketch...etc, regardless of scope and/or duration. As it progresses advice from other people usually is a very good method of improving your skillset plus challenges the artist to move beyond his or her comfort zone.

Last edited by sacboi : 03 March 2016 at 03:10 AM.

03 March 2016
Originally Posted by circusboy: Thats an important circumstance actually. You didn't say which country you are from. But it is quite likely it will help to have a degree (proper-NOT just a diploma) -even if in engineering- if you plan on working abroad. It helps your 'work experience profile' for many international visa applications. You can get there without one but you may need up to 10 years of work experience already if that is the case. This can make it tough for a Junior artist to get that first international games gig. But a Senior will have less trouble (because they have the years of experience).

Yeah im from Serbia so its crap of a situation here for anything xD.

Quote: As an enrolled student, you're eligible in downloading a full release but limited too personal use only. Also although Blender is a great package to learn starting out, however at the moment not widely integrated within professional games production pipelines. So my advice is to switch toolsets too, either 3ds Max or Maya, if you intend at some point in the future a career as a Games Artist.

I really love blender,but i guess ill have to switch to 3Ds max so i can continue to learn effectively as most of the tutorials are for maya/max.
And ill try to compose or have and keep updating my portfolio of piece that im curently working on

06 June 2017
Hiya!

Originally Posted by NIKOLAPAVIC: I really love blender,but i guess ill have to switch to 3Ds max so i can continue to learn effectively as most of the tutorials are for maya/max.

If you already "know" 3D, I stumbled upon a guy on YouTube who is a freaking savant with 3DS MAX. I learned MAX back when v3 was the latest version. Kinda/sorta liked it, overall, but I *hate* Autodesk and their monopolistic pricing schemes.

Anyway, here's his YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS...LMfTKWS56tOiQpw

Fast, easy to understand, and awesome results. Learned more about current 3DS MAX in three hours than I did in three MONTHS of using Digital Tutors/Pluralsight's 3DS MAX tutorials!

Paul L. Ming

reply share thread