General Advice/Schools in Los Angeles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 02 February 2014   #1
General Advice/Schools in Los Angeles

Hey gang, Andrew here. My fiance recently expressed an interest in pursuing a career as a 3D environment artist. I've spent some time researching the subject. As we'll be living in Los Angeles, I found a few schools in the area. Does anyone have any advance knowledge of the expertise of the programs/colleges?

The Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
Westwood College
Mount St. Mary's College

I also am seeking some general knowledge regarding a schooling and career path. As tuition would be generously provided for, we both feel strongly that school is a good choice, especially as she has limited experience in art, 3D modeling, etc. What degree is the best option? Graphic Design, or something else? Is there any other general advice you can give, or schools near the Los Angeles area you can recommend?

Thank you to everyone in advance for any assistance you can give. We both truly appreciate it.

Old 05 May 2014   #2
Check out The Gnomon School of Visual Effects. Its very highly respected in the industry. It doesn't offer degrees but certifications instead.

Old 05 May 2014   #3
Second Gnomon

I second the Gnomon School of VFX. If she is looking at doing 3d, Gnomon is the best option. Depending on her skill and knowledge already, Gnomon will be pretty challenging. In the entertainment industry, degree isnt as important as skill, so unless she plans on teaching in a college down the road, getting a 2 or 3 year certificate from Gnomon is a great way to go.

I would NOT recommend the Art Institute. I attended one and find that everything I learned, I could have learned on my own or online.

Old 06 June 2014   #4
Gnomon requires a strong portfolio of work. If she hasn't got a strong portfolio and would like to build one, I would recommend a community college. The programs are only 2 years (or less) and the better programs help students build a strong portfolio for transfer to 4 year universities. Many courses are taught by industry professionals, much like at Gnomon. In fact in the program at the college (which i chair), two of the four instructors also teach at neighboring CalArts. Oh, and CalArts is very good, but bring money (and a strong portfolio).
Santa Clarita, CA

Old 06 June 2014   #5
Originally Posted by DecimalMG: Hey gang, Andrew here. My fiance recently expressed an interest in pursuing a career as a 3D environment artist. I've spent some time researching the subject. As we'll be living in Los Angeles, I found a few schools in the area. Does anyone have any advance knowledge of the expertise of the programs/colleges?

The Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
Westwood College
Mount St. Mary's College

I also am seeking some general knowledge regarding a schooling and career path. As tuition would be generously provided for, we both feel strongly that school is a good choice, especially as she has limited experience in art, 3D modeling, etc. What degree is the best option? Graphic Design, or something else? Is there any other general advice you can give, or schools near the Los Angeles area you can recommend?

Thank you to everyone in advance for any assistance you can give. We both truly appreciate it.

Your seriously trying to go environment artist, oh man I hate to sound like a pessimist but that is one tough area to go into.

I wouldn't suggest any of those as schools, just not worth it. Honestly, she's better of building up the drawing skills at a CC. Drawing/painting you need those for observational ability and texturing. Then she can either transfer and go get a BA at hmmm lets say OTIS, art center, gnomon, chico state but that is northern cali, that is if she's 3d

Then there is all the software you gotta sit and learn, not only that you may be staring at tutorials anyways...

BA/BFA means very little in the industry, unless you want to teach, your portfolio/demoreel/connections/internships are your only real way in the door.

reply share thread