Schools, career plans, additional training

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Question Schools, career plans, additional training

Hello,

I have a few questions about what to do next with my career.

Here is my portfolio: http://www.nixes.ru

Graduated Russian VGIK Gerasimov Institute of Cinematography, TV and Film Direction, Multimedia Director in 2013.

I'm looking to become a good 3D generalist, supervisor and\or Multimedia Director.
I'm mostly working in 3ds max, AE and Nuke, though I'm actively learning Maya and Houdini at the moment.

And I'm looking to go to USA or Canada to get some additional training or learn something

So the first question is - should I go to a school like Gnomon, will it give me something? I guess it will give me good connections, but what about CG knowledge and practice? Will it's cost (like 60-70k$... ish) pay off? I'm worried that most of the time I will spend on learning things I already know, how flexible is the program there for international students? Like can I skip something I already know somehow and focus on practicing or learning things I don't know?

What are other good VFX schools in Canada\USA and LA in particular? I know about Gnomon, LostBoys, FullSail and VFS, but from those 4 I guess gnomon is the better choice, am I right? (well, assuming I will be able to get there at all).

What are my other options? (Like hoping to find work there )

Thanks for any answers!

Old 01 January 2014   #2
Why you dont just focus on building yourself in literally meaning?
I would target on market level stuff + making some stuning showreels, etc...
Looking from Serbia, I see Russia as growing state, thanks to God, finally.
So, thats just my point of view.
To get married, making family, and living normal life, working on projects from world wide...

Old 01 January 2014   #3
Thanks for your reply
I am building myself. I don't know how is it in Serbia, but in Russia "normal life" is too... low? Not sure how to put it. I'm not sure it is a right place to discuss problems driving me away from Russia, but I don't see any good perspectives by just living here and self-learning.

Anyway, I don't want to stop at the moment I am currently in, and I am really interested to get a better education (either by learning or working) than what I got by now.

Old 02 February 2014   #4
Maybe this will be interesting proposal for you

Old 02 February 2014   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread