Content of Portfolio For Companies

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Content of Portfolio For Companies

Hey there guys, this issue has been bugging me and is really kind of preventing me from getting started, but for good reason, I want to start off on the right foot and produce pieces for my portfolio companies are interested in. I'm building up a portfolio for my goal of being a 3d character artist, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what to start making to put into it...I know making models geared toward the company you want to get into is wise. For instance, if I want to work for Blizzard do I look at their models and concepts and make my own version of them? The problem I see with doing this for Blizzard or Riot Games for instance, is that my drawing skills are still at beginner level, so I can't really effectively make my own creature design, which would be ideal, compared to creating a replica of an already existing piece, with some changes, but nothing radical.

Perhaps Blizzard and Riot are not the best examples for me because I'll be graduating from school in about a year, and my drawing skills will likely not be up to the point I'd get hired at Blizzard or Riot fresh out of school. And for these two companies, having drawing (lighting, shading) and anatomy skills seems to be a requirement. While I want to get my drawing skills up to that necessary point, I feel like my goal right now should instead be to focus on what to make for other companies without having drawing as strict a requirement. I recognize I need to build pieces to learn from, and I want to do that too, but being only a year from graduation and wanting a job right out of school makes my primary focus on building portfolio worthy pieces, so I'm being very picky and selective on what I choose to work on.

So I guess my ultimate question is, what should I model? What's attractive in today's industry and given my current skill level on drawing/concepting, should I get concepts off of a place like here or CGHub with permission of the artist? Really just looking for advice based on my situation...thanks again guys!

12 December 2013
If you're not extremely comfortable with your own drawing/concept skills, working from someone else's concept is absolutely the way to go. Recreating something that is already in a game isn't very impressive (because all the design decisions of translating it into 3d have already been made for you), and working from your own sub-par concepts will only hold you back. Either find something online you can use (with permission, of course) or find a bit of unused concept art from an "Art of ...." book and use that.

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread