Gnomom Workshop or Digital Tutors

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 11 November 2013   #1
Gnomom Workshop or Digital Tutors

Hello everyone, and i apologise for my bad english, my first language is Portuguese.
I'm completely new to the CG world. I really want to learn 3d, but i don't know where to start. I have blender installed for now, while i wait my father to buy Autodesk maya for me. So, i have been looking around for some tut sites and liked two sites: Digital Tutors and Gnomom workshop. I'm planning on subscribing to this sites, but first i want to know from you guys which one is better for begginers. I really need to start from scratch, learn the basic tools and so on. And if you know any other site or dvd library that i should buy feel free to tell me
Thanks for the attention.

Old 11 November 2013   #2
For blender:
cg cookie and blender guru

Maya. You can download the student version of maya for free, all the features but what you make cannot be used commercially.

For beginners, use digital tutors and gnomon helps as you know the software.

For now I would recommend blender. I can use maya, zbrush and blender and I still think blender is my favourite.

Old 11 November 2013   #3
For a beginner, I'd definitely recommend Digital Tutors. Gnomon's videos are generally aimed for people with a couple years of experience.

Old 01 January 2014   #4
Digital Turors is your best bet. It is designed mostly for beginners and intermediate artists. Gnomon is good but its for advansted users mostly. I recommend eat3d also, but first learn the basics from Digital Tutors.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
Originally Posted by Meloncov: For a beginner, I'd definitely recommend Digital Tutors. Gnomon's videos are generally aimed for people with a couple years of experience.

Precisely. Also, don't overlook youtube. There are plenty of good quality, free tuts, if you dig around.

Old 01 January 2014   #6
Originally Posted by musashidan: Precisely. Also, don't overlook youtube. There are plenty of good quality, free tuts, if you dig around.

I would not recommend to use youtube too much, because there are a lot of... bad tutorials, which will only make a mess in your head. DT for beginner, and then gnomon\Eat3D. And once you know the basics you can search youtube for some good tutorials, once you can see which tutorial is obviously bad and which one is good.

Old 05 May 2014   #7
I like both and agree that DT is more for beginners but thats not to say that Gnomon is so advanced that you shouldn't check it out. You might be surprised. Heck, at worst, pay $50 for the first month of Gnomon, and if you don't like it or you feel its too advanced then go to DT.

at worst, you lose out on the monthly cost difference which is about $20?

Old 07 July 2014   #8
Go for digital tutors. its for beginners.
Use student version of maya for learning which is available for free or you can also use Maya LT.
And try both maya and 3ds max then go advance on the one you like.

Old 07 July 2014   #9
As others have suggested evaluate the Autodesk suite of apps on offer, then go deep with whatever clicks for you, also peruse the licencing options & tailor something to suite rather than initially going the expensive perpetual route.

On the question of self-taught avenues, yes the sub-fee teaching sites mentioned I'd recommend, DT's for the moment then Gnomon Workshops once you've gained some fluidity with your app of choice.

I also find free online instruction an useful resource, youtube sourced materiel at times can vary in terms of quality in delivery but overall at a pinch will pull you through, however in my honest opinion you can't go past 3DTotal for high quality freebie tutes, ranging in whatever CG flavour available on the market today.

Lastly here's something to keep in mind later down the track in the case you decide to get into game development, Kiwi Juice its an awesome recent startup, a site where industry pro's upload their workflows for sale at affordable prices from as little as US$5 - $12, check it out when you've time. Anyways hope this was helpful have fun.

Cheers ;)

Last edited by sacboi : 07 July 2014 at 05:04 AM.

reply share thread