CGTalk > Main Forums > Education
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Gnomon straight after high school? HELP?

To start it all off, i live on the far east coast, and Im currently 17.

I wanted to apply to Gnomon school of visual effects and take the two year program but a lot of people have been telling me to go to a "real" college and get a degree first.

I thought concept art was about skill and connections, but apparently some people think otherwise? I understand that a degree helps with jobs but is it necessary, and how far will you get with it? I'd hate to waste time and money in an overly expensive college and end up in debt afterwards..

Any advice would help A LOT, thank you guys!

(I had an interview with admissions and they said that my portfolio good and i should take two year program, but i honestly... i dont know what to do. :c its 60k and no degree... )

( PORTFOLIO LINK )

Last edited by F-inked : 11-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

First of all, congrats on making such a strong portfolio while still in high school! That's seriously impressive.

The vast majority of employers in the entertainment industry won't care if you have a degree. However, if you ever want to work outside the country (and, especially for VFX, not being willing to work outside the country will limit your options a lot) having a degree makes it much, much easier to get a visa.

My advice is to apply to a couple four year colleges, see how much they're willing to give you in financial aid, and then make your decision from there.

Last edited by Meloncov : 11-28-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
First of all, congrats on making such a strong portfolio while still in high school! That's seriously impressive.

I'd like to see it too but the link doesn't work for me. "Page cannot be found" is all I get.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
I'd like to see it too but the link doesn't work for me. "Page cannot be found" is all I get.

Oops! Sorry about that.

http://emilysiuportfolio.carbonmade.com/

Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov

The vast majority of employers in the entertainment industry won't care if you have a degree. However, if you ever want to work outside the country (and, especially for VFX, not being willing to work outside the country will limit your options a lot) having a degree makes it much, much easier to get a visa.

My advice is to apply to a couple four year colleges, see how much they're willing to give you in financial aid, and then make your decision from there.

Thank you, i really appreciate that (;u~

I see, do a lot of VFX workers work outside of the united states? Do they actually go overseas to work? (Also thank you for your insight on this topic, I was not aware of this until now.)

Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

You have a strong portfolio. If concept art is your ultimate goal though, then why Gnomon? I'd say you'd probably benefit far more from a more traditional arts course at a university.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
You have a strong portfolio. If concept art is your ultimate goal though, then why Gnomon? I'd say you'd probably benefit far more from a more traditional arts course at a university.

QFA. Save the money, spend it on living and try to get a job, shouldn't be too hard with an impressive portfolio like yours.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh

Thank you. Well, concept art is my dream job but I currently don't see that many openings for a concept art jobs popping up, (perhaps this is untrue, I am still inexperienced) I am afraid that if a concept art job is not available, I can still do modeling and do concept art on the side. Also, I want to move to california since there are many more VFX jobs on the east coast, and my parents wish for me to attend some sort of institution rather than just trying to teach myself through videos.
Are there any universities that you recommend?

The ones in my area are completely fine arts based, or have a bad curriculum and cost more than gnomon... :C I fear that I will not be able to make connections and find a job.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
QFA. Save the money, spend it on living and try to get a job, shouldn't be too hard with an impressive portfolio like yours.

Thank you, I still fear the future though, unemployment and no degree is a dangerous route :C

Old 11-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Wow! Your portfolio looks great! Congrats on that.

I know your all about VFX right now, but have you looked into medical illustration? You'll need an undergrad in anatomy and a masters in medial illustration, but after you graduate, you should have good job options. I know even in Indiana, you can make around 70K per year if your good and fast. That's probably close to or over 100K in Cali or the east coast. Plus I'm sure the hours would be better.

-AJ

Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

strong portfolio! you've gotten so far on your own, it would be wise to avoid expensive schools when choosing college or uni...If I were you, I'd try and get as much exposure as possible...ask about internships from your schools career services or companies that are in your area, most likely you'll be given college credit for it but there are a few good companies that might even pay you...but your main goal now is to get their contacts on your resume and to get exposure in the industry, so that you can build a strong portfolio and an equally strong resume at an early stage in your career.

again, I would avoid attending expensive schools, think of ways of how to earn money with your skills instead of spending more. if possible, apply for scholarships! i'm sure you're more than qualified for one. you're almost there. good luck!

-rj

Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-inked
I see, do a lot of VFX workers work outside of the united states? Do they actually go overseas to work? (Also thank you for your insight on this topic, I was not aware of this until now.)

Yeah, it's pretty common. When a bunch of new studios open up where ever the newest big subsidy is, they need to bring in talent from overseas.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
LordMcGoat
Know-it-All
portfolio
Christian Bull
Character artist
Double Negative
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-inked
Thank you. Well, concept art is my dream job but I currently don't see that many openings for a concept art jobs popping up, (perhaps this is untrue, I am still inexperienced) I am afraid that if a concept art job is not available, I can still do modeling and do concept art on the side. Also, I want to move to california since there are many more VFX jobs on the east coast, and my parents wish for me to attend some sort of institution rather than just trying to teach myself through videos.
Are there any universities that you recommend?

The ones in my area are completely fine arts based, or have a bad curriculum and cost more than gnomon... :C I fear that I will not be able to make connections and find a job.

Thanks for your advice!

Like the others have said, you've got a great portfolio.

I think the advice here has been smart. As has been mentioned, I don't think anyone looking to hire an artist in VFX is in the slightest bit interested in a degree, but the visa thing is something worth considering.

I'd echo what Leigh says about suggesting the fine art route, if concept is your focus. You're right to value networking, it's vitally important, but much more important is to get your skills to the highest level that you can. It's a tough industry of course, but if your skills are right, you'll be able to get your foot in the door, and once you're in, networking is easy - and free.

If you're headed to California, it's maybe worth taking a look at the Golden Gate Atelier. You still have the problem of it not being accredited, and I'm sure it's hella expensive, but it'll be a great environment to hone your skills. Andrew Ameral, one of the founders, came from the concept art route before focusing full time on fine art. As such constructive drawing forms a part of their curriculum, rather than the solely sight size approach that predominates in other ateliers, which is less useful when it comes to drawing/painting from imagination.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Thanks! :C Perhaps I shall look into college, I mean I could get into an ivy league with grades but I would prefer not to... It just seems like a waste of four years but perhaps I am wrong...

Thats very true! Wow thanks for the link, thats helpful and I will definitely look into attending. Thank you for all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMcGoat
Like the others have said, you've got a great portfolio.

I think the advice here has been smart. As has been mentioned, I don't think anyone looking to hire an artist in VFX is in the slightest bit interested in a degree, but the visa thing is something worth considering.

I'd echo what Leigh says about suggesting the fine art route, if concept is your focus. You're right to value networking, it's vitally important, but much more important is to get your skills to the highest level that you can. It's a tough industry of course, but if your skills are right, you'll be able to get your foot in the door, and once you're in, networking is easy - and free.

If you're headed to California, it's maybe worth taking a look at the Golden Gate Atelier. You still have the problem of it not being accredited, and I'm sure it's hella expensive, but it'll be a great environment to hone your skills. Andrew Ameral, one of the founders, came from the concept art route before focusing full time on fine art. As such constructive drawing forms a part of their curriculum, rather than the solely sight size approach that predominates in other ateliers, which is less useful when it comes to drawing/painting from imagination.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
F-inked

portfolio
Emily
philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Wow! Your portfolio looks great! Congrats on that.

I know your all about VFX right now, but have you looked into medical illustration? You'll need an undergrad in anatomy and a masters in medial illustration, but after you graduate, you should have good job options. I know even in Indiana, you can make around 70K per year if your good and fast. That's probably close to or over 100K in Cali or the east coast. Plus I'm sure the hours would be better.

-AJ

Thanks AJ!
I have looked into medical illustration actually, but a lot of medical illustrators have to go through lots of traditional schooling first so 4 years +2 years of grad school... anatomy and medial are the fun parts of illustration, I think also basic chem and other sciences are involved and degrees in the sciences are preferred... Many medical illustrators are freelance, but I personally just dont enjoy drawing golgi aparattuses all day haha.... Thanks for the advice though!

Thread Closed share thread